Call for Proposals! The National Student Conference on the Mixed Race Experience

  • dannigrl212
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2007
      Call for Proposals:
      The Mixed Race Experience
      ***Deadline February 8th***

      (postponed 1 week)

      Bridges, Macalester College's student organization for
      mixed-race, cross cultural, and transracially adopted students, is
      looking for people interested in presenting at the National Student
      Conference for the Mixed Race Experience, which is scheduled March
      23rd-25th, 2007 on Macalester's campus in St. Paul, Minnesota.

      Proposals are to be germane to the overall subject of the
      conference – the mixed-race experience – and will receive further
      consideration if they are related to this year's theme: Looking into
      the Mixed-Race Mirror: an analysis on the effect of media portrayals
      of mixed-race people on mixed-race individuals.

      Through our call for proposals, we are hoping to attract a
      greater range of applications than would a standard call for papers.
      We would like to encourage people to consider any of the following
      suggestions:

      • Workshops
      • Musical Performances
      • Paper Readings
      • Visual Art
      • Poetry Readings/Recitations
      • Theatrical pieces
      • Film/Video Presentations
      • Anything else you can think of!

      We are hoping to showcase a wide array of presentations in terms
      or both subject and media at the conference this year. We would love
      to have a variety of unique presenters with different perspectives and
      avenues of expression related to the mixed race experience.

      Applicants:

      • Must insure that travel costs will be provided by their home
      institution or must be willing to supply traveling costs themselves*
      • Must prepare presentations so that they can be deemed "student
      friendly" by the conference committee, we're looking for interactive
      presentations!

      Those who present at the conference will have their registration fee
      waived.

      To apply, see the cover letter for details.