Hurricane Katrina ... and the American government and media resp

  • wergifts2
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2005
      In addition to the media using the term "finders" for white
      survivors and "looters" for non-white survivors (even though
      most of them all displayed the same actions and took the
      same things) -- I found it offensive that they also were
      originally referring to the non-white surviving American
      citizens as "refugees" (as if they were foreigners) rather
      than as "evacuees" (which indicates their citizenship)...
      and I won't even go into my feelings on how it was possible
      that the majority of the middle-class white citizens were able
      to both escape and find themselves immediately evacuated into
      the safety found in surrounding states -- while the non-white and
      less affluent were left on highways and at the Metrodome without
      food, medicine, emergency medical personnel; working bathroom
      facilities, police protection or even bottled drinking water.

      Also, I was just curious to know if anyone else has any opinions
      on the matter of whether or not they felt the media and the
      federal government seemed to have shown discrimination and
      bias in it's treatment of the storm victims and survivors?

      Related Links:

      http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050903/35019.html?.v=1

      http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=68727

      http://www.afro-netizen.org/

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050901/pl_afp/usweatherbushpolitics_0509
      01185354&printer=1

      http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/24871
    • wergifts2
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
        Related article:

        Article: Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded for Helping
        http://nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national/nationalspecial/07navy.html