Re: Lumbee lineage

  • lumbeechic2002
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11 8:59 PM
      Well there is alot of history on the Lumbee people.
      We have been fighting for years for the federal
      government to recognize us as a tribe.
      One of the reasons we haven't been recognized is
      because we have no written or spoken language.
      The reason we don't is because of the mixing of
      many tribes and languages were no longer spoken.
      But we do have some families down here who have
      gone back to claiming some of the original tribes.
      Mainly Tuscarora. Many famillies down here have kept
      there Tuscarora identity along with the language.
      The state of NC does recognize the Lumbee as a native people though.
      We are still continuing to fight for recognition because it can
      mean alot for our people in the way of health care and education.
      Does anybody have any specific questions they would like to ask?
      I will try to do my best to answer. Just remember this
      is what I was taught. And everyone down here hasn't
      been taught the same history of the people.

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "wergifts2" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Wow... the history of the Lumbee tribe sounds fascinating!

      Please feel free to share more more
      information with us (via posts, links,
      etc.) -- as we'd love to hear even more! :D

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "lumbeechic2002" <lumbeechic2002@y...> wrote:

      Sure js i don't mind telling a little about my people.
      The Lumbee are the largest native american tribe east of
      the Mississippi River numbering more than 55,000 enrolled
      members, and the 10th largest in the United States.
      The history of the Lumbee varies from household to
      household so I will just tell u what i was taught.
      The Lumbee are a mixture of many different tribes
      including the Tuscarora,Cheraw, Cherokee, and a few others.
      This mixture of nations comes from the fact that white settlers
      couldn't farm this area because it is swamp land so a number
      of tribes hid in the swamps of Robeson County to escape
      the white settlers,which is located in Lumberton, NC.
      The name Lumbee comes from the Lumber River,
      which runs through Robeson County.
      Some of the Lumbee people are mixed with black.
      Because the natives in this area took in runaway slaves.
      Some are mixed with white also. White men in this area back
      in the slave days married Tuscarora women who owned the
      lands to gain control of the land. These marriages most of
      the time were made by force and some where made by choice.
      If anybody would like to know more let me know.

      j s <creolescience@y...> wrote:

      Judging from your name you are Lumbee.
      Would you mind telling a little about your people for
      the ones that aren't aware of their unique history?

      lumbeechic2002 <lumbeechic2002@y...> wrote:

      Hey everyone thanks for the invite to join the group!!!
    • j s
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12 1:48 AM
        Thanks for all the info. I discovered your tribe last year while doing research on various mixed communities and the so called "tri-racial isolates."
        I also ran accross an up and coming pop princess named Jana who seems to be one
        of the Lumbee's pride and joy. http://jananation.homestead.com/JNHomepage.html
        thnaks again
        Jeff

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12 6:28 PM
          Sure no problem. I love to inform people about my heritage.
          Yeah Jana is Lumbee, we also had a young lady by the name of
          Charlie Lowry who was on American Idol. Not this last one but
          the one before. She made it to the top 34. And we also have
          another young lady by the name of Rebecca Revels who went
          through all the scandal with the Miss North Carolina Pagent
          and the Miss USA pagent. That made National News. And April
          Whitemore was crowned Miss Indian World a few years back.
          So we are out there. But if you would like to know anything
          specific please ask.