Re: Hakka heritage

  • wergifts2
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
      Hi 'MSHoo1129'

      Just wanted to let you know that your posting
      has sparked my interest in learning more
      about the Hakka Chinese ethnic group.

      The 'mixed' history of the Hakka is truly cativating and the
      quote listed below was of great interest to me in regards to
      the great culture and lineage of the Hakka mixed-ethnic group.

      [[["Hakkas are difficult if not impossible
      to be defined by bloodline or language.

      We are a mixed group that might include many
      ethnic groups as a result of 2000 years of migration."

      --- Source: http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/%5d]]

      Thanks for enlightening us about the Hakka ethnicity. :D

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "wergifts2" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Are any of the web links below helpful regarding your
      Hakka lineage – or, perhaps you've seen them all already?

      http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/
      http://www.ksafe.com/profiles/p_code/981.html
      http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3680/is_199707/ai_n8773924
      http://www.pbs.org/weekendexplorer/destinations/china/hong_kong/britis
      h.htm

      http://www.pbs.org/journeytoplanetearth/profiles/china.html
      http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/language.htm
      http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hakka.htm
      http://www.pbs.org/kcts/preciouschildren/china/

      In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Margaret Hoo <mshoo1129@y...> wrote:

      Speaking of unique history, does anyone here
      know anything about the Hakka Chinese?
      I found a little bit about them on the web, but would
      love to know more about this part of my heritage.
      Thank you.

      Margaret

      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:

      Judging from your name you are Lumbee.
      Would you mind telling a little about your people for
      the ones that aren't aware of their unique history?

      lumbeechic2002 <lumbeechic2002@...> wrote:

      Hey everyone thanks for the
      invite to join the group!!!

      "Use what talent you possess.
      The woods would be very silent if no
      birds sang except those that sang best."
      --Henry van Dyke
      Professor of Literature
      Princeton University
    • lumbeechic2002
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
        Well there is alot of history on the Lumbee people.
        We have been fighting for years for the federal
        government to recognize us as a tribe.
        One of the reasons we haven't been recognized is
        because we have no written or spoken language.
        The reason we don't is because of the mixing of
        many tribes and languages were no longer spoken.
        But we do have some families down here who have
        gone back to claiming some of the original tribes.
        Mainly Tuscarora. Many famillies down here have kept
        there Tuscarora identity along with the language.
        The state of NC does recognize the Lumbee as a native people though.
        We are still continuing to fight for recognition because it can
        mean alot for our people in the way of health care and education.
        Does anybody have any specific questions they would like to ask?
        I will try to do my best to answer. Just remember this
        is what I was taught. And everyone down here hasn't
        been taught the same history of the people.

        In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "wergifts2" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

        Wow... the history of the Lumbee tribe sounds fascinating!

        Please feel free to share more more
        information with us (via posts, links,
        etc.) -- as we'd love to hear even more! :D

        In MGM-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "lumbeechic2002" <lumbeechic2002@y...> wrote:

        Sure js i don't mind telling a little about my people.
        The Lumbee are the largest native american tribe east of
        the Mississippi River numbering more than 55,000 enrolled
        members, and the 10th largest in the United States.
        The history of the Lumbee varies from household to
        household so I will just tell u what i was taught.
        The Lumbee are a mixture of many different tribes
        including the Tuscarora,Cheraw, Cherokee, and a few others.
        This mixture of nations comes from the fact that white settlers
        couldn't farm this area because it is swamp land so a number
        of tribes hid in the swamps of Robeson County to escape
        the white settlers,which is located in Lumberton, NC.
        The name Lumbee comes from the Lumber River,
        which runs through Robeson County.
        Some of the Lumbee people are mixed with black.
        Because the natives in this area took in runaway slaves.
        Some are mixed with white also. White men in this area back
        in the slave days married Tuscarora women who owned the
        lands to gain control of the land. These marriages most of
        the time were made by force and some where made by choice.
        If anybody would like to know more let me know.

        j s <creolescience@y...> wrote:

        Judging from your name you are Lumbee.
        Would you mind telling a little about your people for
        the ones that aren't aware of their unique history?

        lumbeechic2002 <lumbeechic2002@y...> wrote:

        Hey everyone thanks for the invite to join the group!!!
      • j s
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
          Thanks for all the info. I discovered your tribe last year while doing research on various mixed communities and the so called "tri-racial isolates."
          I also ran accross an up and coming pop princess named Jana who seems to be one
          of the Lumbee's pride and joy. http://jananation.homestead.com/JNHomepage.html
          thnaks again
          Jeff

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
            Sure no problem. I love to inform people about my heritage.
            Yeah Jana is Lumbee, we also had a young lady by the name of
            Charlie Lowry who was on American Idol. Not this last one but
            the one before. She made it to the top 34. And we also have
            another young lady by the name of Rebecca Revels who went
            through all the scandal with the Miss North Carolina Pagent
            and the Miss USA pagent. That made National News. And April
            Whitemore was crowned Miss Indian World a few years back.
            So we are out there. But if you would like to know anything
            specific please ask.