The definition of the terms “COLORED”/“OF-COLOR” (i.e. "Mixed"/"Multi"-Racial")

  • wergifts2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
      **DEFINITION OF "COLORED" or "OF-COLOR": **

      "A person of a racial group
      that is not regarded as white.

      A person of MIXED RACIAL strains."

      Source: http://www.mixedfolks.com/names.htm

      **SOME EXAMPLES OF "COLORED" **

      (i.e. racially ad-"mixed"
      people / "multi"-racial)

      a) Classification
      b) Mixture
      c) Fraction of "Black" Blood

      --"Mango"
      --Sambo and Black
      --7/8 full-"black" blood

      -- "Zambo"
      --Mulatto and Black
      --3/4 full-"black" blood

      -- "Cascos"
      --Mulatto and Mulatto
      --1/2 full-"black" blood

      -- "Mulatto"
      --Black and White
      --1/2 "full-"black" blood

      -- "Quadroon"
      --Mulatto and White
      --1/4 full-"black" blood

      -- "Octoroon / Mustee"
      --Quadroon and White
      --1/8 full-"black" blood

      -- "Mustifee / Mustiphini"
      --Octoroon / Mustee and White
      --1/16 full-"black" blood

      -- "Mustifino / Quintroon"
      --Mustifee / Mustiphini and White
      --1/32 full-"black" blood

      SOURCE: http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition

      **EXAMPLES OF "MONO"-RACIAL GROUPS:**

      --"Negro"
      --"Full"-Negro and "Full"-Negro
      --Full=64/64 + 64/64
      [Full=a minimum of six (6) generations
      with no `other' racial admixture]

      --"White"
      --"Full"-White and "Full"-White
      --Full=64/64 + 64/64
      [Full=a minimum of six (6) generations
      with no `other' racial admixture]

      **QUOTE: **

      "[The group commonly referred to as]
      "Black" Americans have... an average of 30
      percent of White admixture" in their genes"

      http://www.bookfinder.us/review2/0520228731.html
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520228731/104-6864586-
      0680739?v=glance
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-
      description/0520228731/ref=dp_proddesc_0/103-5615230-4572629?%
      5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155

      'The high amount (+25%) of Amerindian
      admixture found within this group should also
      always be taken note of and remembered.'

      www.williamlkatz.com/africanindians.html
      http://www.wolflodge.org/visibiliti/metis/blackindians/
      http://www.othermetis.net/Papers/trent/trent2.html
      http://dodona.proboards35.com/index.cgi?
      board=physanth&action=display&num=1087461625
      http://www.americanindiansource.com/bloodquantum.html
    • wergifts2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
        The comments below are excerpts from
        an article entitled "IDENTIFY YOURSELF"
        (which was written by a Multi-racial individual who
        is from South Africa – where most multi-racials
        are generally referred to by the term "colored")

        [[[["The term "Coloured" has become a rather
        vilified and eschewed term in recent years.

        In numerous debates with people of different race
        groups and ideological persuasions, I've often heard
        people use the ... argument that the term
        "Coloured" was given to us people of mixed race
        because "they" did'nt know what else to call us.

        I've had numerous run-ins with faceless,
        toothless academics over my passion for
        Coloured identity and my continued campaigning
        to raise the ire of Coloured consciousness.

        I'm always charged with being a backward,
        retrogressive who is hell-bent on apartheid era
        labelling and by continuing to use the term Coloured ...

        Of course every time I received one of these emails,
        I would print it … I eventually decided to read some
        of it and address the core issue of why I feel the
        term "Coloured" is NOT apartheid baggage.

        The term "Coloured" came about as a
        means of labelling and identifying the
        burgeoning mixed race population.

        The American Heritage book of English usage
        states that the term "Colored, or coloured, is
        recorded in its racial sense as early as 1611...".
        The term was used in the deep south of America,
        but became firmly rooted within the lexicon of SA
        political pundits to identify the particularly large
        mixed race population in the Western Cape.
        The term "Coloured" is therefore not a South African
        specific term, but one with global significance…

        To me, the term "Coloured" is nothing more
        than ...a naming word used to describe
        people of mixed race...finished ...

        I would be the biggest campaigner for the term
        "Coloured" to be discontinued, if only there was
        an equally enthusiastic campaign to stop the
        usage of all apartheid created racial terms.

        If only these self-styled academics could be equally
        horrified when the term Black/White is used as they
        are when the term "Coloured" is used, then maybe
        their argument would have some substance.

        But, that is not the case.

        Yes, we need to move away from our reliance
        on racial qualifiers and start embracing
        each other .. … this I do not dispute.

        Calling for the abolishment of the term
        "Coloured" is premature and shortsighted.
        To be pro-Coloured is not to be anti-anything,
        in the same way that being pro-Black
        does not make you anti-White.
        The real question however is
        whether or not we continue to bicker and argue
        over the semantics of the term "Coloured" ...
        or do we stand together as a proud
        community to claim our place."

        -- Written by Charles Ash / Friday, 08 April 2005
        (Charles Ash is a Multigenerational Multi-racially
        Mixed –MGM-- person of South African nationality)

        http://www.bruin-ou.com/aweh/index.php?
        option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=2 ]]]]]

        ***************************************

          From: "wergifts2" <soaptalk@...>
          Date: Sun Jul 17, 2005  4:05 pm
[...]

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • wergifts2
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2005
            Hi Jeff,

            Welcome to the board !!

            We're really glad you've joined us here !! :D

            (((Also – for everyone who wants definitions on
            the terms that Jeff mentioned – see links below.

            -G/AP

            P.S. Jeff, do you have any information that you
            could pass along on dna-testing and ancestral
            lineage for those who are interested?

            wergifts2 <soaptalk@...> wrote:

[...]

            option==com_content&task==view&id="&Itemid==2 ]]]]]

            ***************************************

            From: "wergifts2" <soaptalk@...>
            Date: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:05 pm
[...]

            --Full=d/64 + 64/64
            [Full==a minimum of six (6) generations
            with no `other' racial admixture]

            --"White"
            --"Full"-White and "Full"-White
            --Full=d/64 + 64/64
            [Full==a minimum of six (6) generations
            with no `other' racial admixture]

            **QUOTE: **

            "[The group commonly referred to as]
            "Black" Americans have... an average of 30
            percent of White admixture" in their genes"

            http://www.bookfinder.us/review2/0520228731.html
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520228731/104-6864586-
            0680739?v==glance
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-
            description/0520228731/ref==dp_proddesc_0/103-5615230-4572629?%
            5Fencoding==UTF8&n=(3155

            'The high amount (+25%) of Amerindian
            admixture found within this group should also
            always be taken note of and remembered.'

            www.williamlkatz.com/africanindians.html
            http://www.wolflodge.org/visibiliti/metis/blackindians/
            http://www.othermetis.net/Papers/trent/trent2.html
            http://dodona.proboards35.com/index.cgi?
            board==physanth&action==display&num=87461625
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2005
              Ha - those are all differant term for those of 1/16th "negro" descent. ;)

              Brittany Link <babydoll211987@...> wrote:
              whoa doggy,...what in the world is a meamalouc and hexadeacaroon

              I'm a Griffe/mulatto/creole( I probley shouldnt add that, that's in my backgroud but yea) and I just say MGM because none of those names in all the details fit me.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2005
                Hi y'all.  I had a DNA test done about one year ago - well my second one. The first one, which was less sensitive, showed only native american, which I knew wasn't the total story. The last one showed 5% native American, 7% subsaharan african and 88% European.
                Genetics being what they are, I've met people that were 50% african descent ( or so they said - who knows what the "black" parent was comprised of.) that looked like me. I guess some traits like lips and hair texture don't dillute as quickly. The frustrating thing was that there was nobody in the family that one could identify as non-white but I could see myself in the mirror and had people ask me if I was mixed all the time.
                For me the test ( around $200) gave me that closure missing for about 20 plus years of my life. Geneology didn't answer nor did verbal inquiry. I guess my ancestor(s) were those that passed and slipped through after Jim Crow. Interestingly enough, if one traced back to the probable member it seems they match up to around the generational "contribution" that one would expect ( meaning 1/16). It appears to have been my great grandfather that was "passing", or he was the child of a couple that did  ( the offspring of 2 mulattoes perhaps). There is this annecdotal story of them coming from money but being robbed and destitute on the Mississippi - basically a blank origin story - which was often used by those that would "pass" to explain them having little when coming to town.

                Here's a link - I was suprised to read they now have a "euro" test as well which can better differentiate the various caucasion subgroups like "Nordic" Mediterranean" "east Indian" etc.