The MEXICANO Cabus at Apizaco

  • Alejandro Ramirez Watanabe
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Dear List:

      On November the 21st, Todd Minsk and myself took the road to practice one of
      our favorite activities: Railfanning.

      As per Todd request, and following my advice we followed the MEXICANO and
      INTEROCEANICO lines east of Texcoco, and stopped several times on the trip
      to visit the following stations: Calpulalpan, Juarez, (forgive me Todd if I
      don't remember the station names as well as you do), and stopped by the
      Calderon diamond (have you seen a small NISSAN imitating an SUV?), where we
      had a memorable day looking at the remains of forgotten times (Calderon
      station itself), combined with the modernity of "state of the art"
      locomotives (TFM's SD70 MAC's,and FERROSUR's AC4400's).

      Todd wanted to continue to Apan, but on the last minute, I convinced him of
      continuing to Apizaco.

      The day went fast as we rode onto the plains of Apan (Llanos de Apan), and
      the hills of Tlaxcala finding a couple of stations on the road: "Guadalupe",
      and the impressive station of "Mu�oz" (surrounded by noisy and boisterous
      stray dogs). Those lone platforms could give you an idea of the importance
      of passenger traffic not so long ago.

      Some minutes before sunset we arrived to Apizaco. I wasn't able to find the
      station immediately, as it is practically buried behind facades of
      commercial buildings. Todd pointed at a metallic courtain that had the logo
      of FERROSUR painted on it, but it was closed.

      After knocking at the door. I convinced the guards inside the building that
      Todd was an author for the TRAINS magazine (good luck we had november's
      issue with us, portraying Mexican railroads), but the security "chief"
      sternly warned us: NO PICTURES INSIDE THE STATION.

      Apizco is one of those places where the action never stops!!, the unique
      green and blue roster of GE locomotives worked frantic the yard. However I
      missed the unique whistling sound of EMD locomotives.

      At the end of the yard, there was a very special piece of rolling stock that
      caught our attention. Shining under the last rays of sun, it was a
      completely restored MEXICANO Cabus (#711, if I remember well).
      We practically begged the security guards to let us take photographs of it,
      and surprisingly, we were allowed to do so. (I want to see those pictures
      soon Se�or Minsk).

      The cabus is located inside a building known as "CASA DE CULTURA DE
      APIZACO", and can be visited by people. Unfortunaltely the interior has been
      refurbished as a snack place, or something like that, but the exteriors
      remain well kept.

      We finished the day, climbing (like kids) a pedestrian bridge, to see the
      departure of the local to Puebla. Todd copied lots of information from the
      Cultural House, and even managed to obtain a heliographic copy of Apizaco.

      Not so bad for a single railfanning day....

      ARW