Re: [MEG_builders] Re: Suggestive of A-B effect

  • Cyril Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2002
      Hi David,

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: davidj95650 <djenkins@...>
      To: <MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 12:58 AM
      Subject: [MEG_builders] Re: Suggestive of A-B effect

      > Thanks for the reply Cyril. Essentially then you think that
      > the slight difference in inductance that I observe is due to
      > reduced coupling to the core, because the coil layers are at
      > a greater distance from the core when the insulation is so
      > much thicker. I did repeat the experiment with a coil wound
      > so that the layers laid down in the opposite direction, and
      > there was little difference between the two coils.
      > I don't expect the PM to affect a single-coil experiment
      > because there is no switching of the PM flux from one side
      > of the core assembly to the other. Everything I read on
      > the A-B effect shows effects for a changing A, not a static
      > A.

      Everything I read on the A-B effect shows effects for a static A field. Any
      time variation of A as "seen" by an electron is solely due to movement of
      the electron into/out of the field. The effects of a changing A are well
      known and well used, and have nothing to do with the A-B effect.

      Regards
      Cyril