My MEG experiments notes added ..

  • Stan Mayer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 10:16 AM
      Just to let you all know that I am gradually adding my MEG experiment
      notes to the files section. My notes are diary type notes made
      during my MEG construction and since it is in the form of a diary, it
      is kind of like walking around naked to the world.

      Anyway, the notes pages (.JPG files) can be found in the files
      section stored in a folder of a folder of the "Subscribers MEGs"
      folder. If you view them on-line you should be aware that they will
      probably display as two-screen wide and tall images so be sure to
      scroll around the entire screen to see the full page. The reason for
      this is that in order to assure decent graphics resolution and
      readability for the incorporated sketches and schematics, I had to
      create these pages in 150 PPI resolution rather than the standard 72
      PPI. Of course, if you find them difficult to read on-line, you can
      download them and view them off-line in an image scalable .JPG
      viewing program.

      It may be a day or two before I get all the files on so please be
      patient.

      Best,

      Stan
    • Ben Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6 5:25 AM
        Hi Stan,

        I just looked at all your files on the MEG; you have done a LOT of
        work! There is lots of good information there. The amount of
        silicon you have changed to lead is prodigious.

        Just a thought, if the MEG starts working and the voltage starts
        going up in the output, would it possibly be reflected back towards
        the primary switching circuit and be blowing the FET's/Transistors?

        Keep at it!

        Ben

        Ben--- In MEG_builders@y..., "Stan Mayer" <STANMAYER@h...> wrote:
        > Just to let you all know that I am gradually adding my MEG
        experiment
        > notes to the files section. My notes are diary type notes made
        > during my MEG construction and since it is in the form of a diary,
        it
        > is kind of like walking around naked to the world.
        >
        > Anyway, the notes pages (.JPG files) can be found in the files
        > section stored in a folder of a folder of the "Subscribers MEGs"
        > folder. If you view them on-line you should be aware that they
        will
        > probably display as two-screen wide and tall images so be sure to
        > scroll around the entire screen to see the full page. The reason
        for
        > this is that in order to assure decent graphics resolution and
        > readability for the incorporated sketches and schematics, I had to
        > create these pages in 150 PPI resolution rather than the standard
        72
        > PPI. Of course, if you find them difficult to read on-line, you
        can
        > download them and view them off-line in an image scalable .JPG
        > viewing program.
        >
        > It may be a day or two before I get all the files on so please be
        > patient.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Stan
      • Stan Mayer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6 9:58 PM
          --- In MEG_builders@y..., "Ben Thomas" <k4zep@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Stan,
          >
          > I just looked at all your files on the MEG; you have done a LOT of
          > work! There is lots of good information there.

          Thank you. There is, if nothing else, some information on some
          things not to do when building a MEG ;-)

          > The amount of
          > silicon you have changed to lead is prodigious.

          Yeah, lead, silicon dioxide, etc., etc. I've got a lot of really
          nifty avalanche diodes now. Maybe I can use them for my MEGs non-
          linear loads :-)

          > Just a thought, if the MEG starts working and the voltage starts
          > going up in the output, would it possibly be reflected back towards
          > the primary switching circuit and be blowing the FET's/Transistors?

          I am sure there is some reflection or interaction going on and I
          guess I should review my notes to see if indeed an improperly loaded
          output may have accounted for some of the failures but as I recall,
          the failures most often occured when I tuned the circuit to too low
          of a frequency or just tuned cross some harmonic resonant freq. of
          the core. In any event, IMHO new meg builders would be well served
          to consider using a very robust MOSFETs and/or provide protection for
          them. (Ref. Jon Flickinger's paper in the files section re: do's and
          don't's of meg construction, most of which I can personally attest
          to.)

          > Keep at it!

          Thanks for the encouragement!

          Best regards,