Re: [MEG_builders] Explinations of Relaxation parameters

  • Cyril Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi Michael,

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Michael Couch <cmichael_couch@...>
      To: <MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 7:33 PM
      Subject: [MEG_builders] Explinations of Relaxation parameters

      > Cyril,
      >
      > Had to stop right in the middle of your excellent explination email and
      ask
      > or observe this...
      >
      > If the current is flowing even though the dielectric has not been
      > breached... then current is certainly some weird animal. Is it passing
      > trough the dialectric even though the electrons don't? Or is it flowing
      > backward in the circuit through the earth to the opposite plate from the
      > positive plate of the capacitor?

      The current is flow of electons in one direction, and flow of ions in the
      other direction. Beacuse the ions are massive (heavy) they flow very slowly
      compared to the lightweight electrons, so it is mostly electron flow that
      makes up current. When a capacitor is being charged the electrons stack up
      on one plate, whie at the same time are depleted from the other plate, so
      there must be a flow for this to happen. When the capacitor is fully
      charged there is no longer a flow.

      The electron current does not flow through the dielectric, and this break in
      flow continuity causes problems with some math (like Kirchhoff's Laws), and
      why there is continuity across this break of the magnetic field which
      encircles the wire. To get over this problem physicists use a fix (first
      invented by Maxwell). They pretend that current does continue to flow
      through the dielectric, but since this is "pretend" current and not electron
      flow they give it a separate name. This is called "displacement current",
      and is directly related to the rate of change of electric field across the
      dielectric. What really happens is that the changing electric field causes
      the magnetic field to remain intact, but some people find it easier to think
      of the magnetic field coming from the displacement current, just as it does
      around the wire.

      Regards
      Cyril
    • Michael Couch
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
        Cyril,

        Then are we dealing with something like a balloon filled with air where we
        squeze here and it bulges there but returns to its original shape? If so I
        don't understand why the relaxation thing won't work and work well? Even if
        the only gain is the difference between ion flow timing and electron flow
        timing to capacitor filling.

        Michael Couch
        mc@...