Re: [MEG_builders] Re: Mayer/Ball effect, inline capacitor, Caduceus

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30 8:45 PM
      Hi Steve,

      Ref: cap in magnet gap...I did this experiment back in February, it is easy
      to duplicate.
      I did earth the magnet and core and tie one end of the capacitor to earth
      via the scope lead. The voltage was still there. I also applied a 100K
      resistor, the output voltage fell appreciably, but again was still present.
      Sorry I can't give any more details than this, an interesting effect which
      at the time did not seem important.
      Perhaps you could try a Hall effect sensor in the magnet gap with your
      set-up, it may be a little while before I'm ready to resume testing.

      Ref: Capacitive loading.... Certainly considered this, however the current
      must surely decrease with the square of the distance from any earth plane.
      This does not occur! The current is always the same. So for me it remains a
      mystery. Regarding ionising air etc, The single secondary lead was nearly 1
      metre long, this was so that I could move the load well away from the
      faraday shielded MEG, The Oscilloscope voltage measurement was typically
      250V @175KHz, at such voltages and distances I would not expect ionisation
      of the air to occur.

      David

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001