More Concise MB effect

  • David Ball
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
      Michael,

      You asked:
          You left out the amperage of the 700Vac 175Khz output and the comparison with the input.  Wouldn't that
          be key information?  Would you insert those and send again please?  The total input power and output power would be nice     to have as well.
      I believe the scope measurement of 250V across the 28K resistor, not the 700V measure form the multimeter.
      The scope probe is calibrated and the resistive heating is what you expect with 2.0watts dissipation, see further results below
           Do any other circuits you know of act anything like this?
      I have not observed this before! I have had several years experience in electronic ballast design for fluorescent lamps. These typically use a series resonant output circuit and operate at similar high voltages and frequencies.
      I never saw this.
          Bearden mentioned a number of weird effects associated with the MEG in the recent reply that was posted here.
      Regarding Bearden's weird effects - if it was the same info I read - he suggested that we should eliminate all known mechanisms before concluding that weird time related effects were taking place in COP>1 devices.
      At 12V I have a very poor COP of only 0.55. It never get's above 0.85 in this config.

      Regards

      History:
      In a post from Digitoxin he described how "displacement current" causes inaccurate measurements on the MEG secondary.
      I mistakenly assumed that 'Displacement currents" were the real secret of the MEG's operation. I proposed a test variation of the MEG which you may see in the files section called 'POT-MEG'. Essentially it is designed to generate as much E field coupling as possible between the primary and secondary.

      Unusual secondary loading:
      It was discovered that the 'finish' secondary winding (furthermost away from the primary) was 'HOT'  Nearly all the output power flows only from this single lead through a load to earth (or any metal surface
      > A4 in size), even with the other end of the secondary completely
      disconnected! Stan Mayer observed the same effect - although not as pronounced as mine - and so I named the effect Mayer-Ball.

      Weird stuff;
      I observed during one test session a 10mm blue arc drawn from my scope probe to the loaded secondary. I have since not been able to duplicate this. However when using my normally accurate digital Multimeter to test the output voltage it reads off the scale >700Vac (again across the 28K getting HOT resistor) waveforms are pure sinewave 175KHz

      What is it?
      In an attempt to determine what this effect is, I was advised to place the MEG into a Faraday cage. This I have done, the MEG is operated on a 12V battery inside the cage and only the single 'HOT' secondary lead is brought out of the Faraday cage, (Aluminium Brief case) The single wire connected to the 28K resistor, still causes the resistor to heat up when it's other end is connected to either the earth isolated scope, earth, faraday cage, or a piece of metal > A4 in size! Output power is 2.24Watts
      My conclusion is that the current path is from the MEG down the secondary wire, through the load, and back to the MEG via EM. This is exactly what Digitoxin has stated. That the MEG and earth are Dipoles, and a current flows between them.
      Input power when the 0.2A driver current is removed from the equation is 0.34A * 12V = 4.08Watts. COP = only 0.55

      Conclusion:
      I have not observed 'Displacement current' contributing as an OU mechanism.
      It has to be allowed for when making COP measurements on the MEG!
      Digitoxin has valuable insight.
      I need to know more about low frequency aerials!

    • Michael Couch
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2001
        David,

        Are the input pulses exactly equal to the output pulse keeping in mind the
        pulsed DC vs. AC issues, phase shifts, inductance, etc.? You know what I
        mean the total area under and over the AC wave vs the total area within the
        DC Pulse?

        Michael Couch
        mc@...