Re: Function gen ... your circ & totem ... Sphere Mags Idea

  • Stan Mayer
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1 6:55 PM
      --- In MEG_builders@y..., "Michael Couch" <cmichael_couch@h...> wrote:
      > <snip>
      > I have two suggestions <snip>
      > Suggestion NO. 1: Replace the neodium magnet in the middle of the
      > MEG with a spherical one <snip>
      > It has been reported that spherical magnets have a very easily
      > switchable polarity <snip>

      Where would one get a sperical magnet and which one or what
      specifications would you recommend?

      Stan
    • Michael Couch
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 7:36 AM
        Stan:

        wondermagnets.com I think is the URL. They have spherical magnets of
        neodium.

        They aren't too expensive. Order one of each and then use an old B&W TV to
        view their magnetic flux fields and put the one in that you think would have
        all its flux absorbed by the lamination. You hold the magnet to the face of
        the TV screen while it is on (snow I guess). White backgrounds are good for
        this and you can use an old Computer monitor that you don't mind damaging
        (screen has to be degaused to work properly after doing this).

        After you try this I have a couple other suggestions.

        Michael Couch
        mc@...
      • Michael Couch
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2 7:38 AM
          Stan:

          When you go to test the spherical magnet with one coil, why not use a simple
          relaly or reed switch to toggle back and forth between polarities just to
          see what you get without all that circuitry first?

          Michael Couch
          mc@...
        • Michael Couch
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 9:12 AM
            Stan:

            Item #28 $7.50 ea. 3/4" Sperical Magnet from Wondermagnets.com no minimum
            order.

            Michael Couch
            mc@...
          • Stan Mayer
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 9:24 AM
              --- In MEG_builders@y..., "Michael Couch" <cmichael_couch@h...> wrote:
              > Stan:
              >
              > When you go to test the spherical magnet with one coil <snip>

              Michael,

              An interesting idea that I may be willing to try just on your word
              for it that spherical mags can provide polarity switching gain.
              While it might seem to be easy to insert one of the 1/2" dia. sphere
              magnets into the magnet section of a MEG, for me this isn't so easy
              as I will have to create bridging/connecting pieces from very hard
              ceramic ferrite stock.

              I will consider trying this but probably not right away because of
              the difficulty for me in machining ceramic ferrite. Also, could you
              tell me where you learned about this easy polarity switching effect?

              Perhaps there are others out there that would be willing to try your
              idea right now. Volunteers?

              Best regards,

              Stan
            • Michael Couch
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 11:16 AM
                Stan:

                Use any lamination core you like. We'll probably learn a lot from it.

                I wish I could remember where I read that spherical magnets change polarity
                very easily. But I read it on the net. Maybe from a link off
                wondermagnets.com. The 3/4" shperical is only $7.50 item no. #28 I think it
                was.

                Michael Couch
                mc@...