Re: Fast MOSFETs - Attn. David Ball

  • Stan Mayer
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2001
      --- In MEG_builders@y..., "David Ball" <david@a...> wrote:

      > Stan,
      >
      > ("Directed Energy's" MOSFETs being) 10 times faster than
      conventional MOSFET's is got to (be) very good.
      > These devices are based on stripline (microwave switching
      technology)
      > perhaps this is our answer, ref my posts yesterday!
      > The driver looks easy enough to fabricate ourselves - if it is too
      expensive
      > to purchase.
      > Any ideas on cost and availability of these parts?

      David,

      Re: MOSFET's being very good. I am glad that you think so because my
      experiments with my new meg seems to confirm that fast dV/dT's are
      important and so am trying to find some new fets for my meg.

      Re: driver being easy enough to fabricate. Again, I'm glad that you
      think so. I thought it might be possible too but I think that
      you are much more qualified to make this judgement as I'm not so hot
      on fets. If you think so, great! (anybody else out there have any
      comments) Isn't it interesting that the driver circuit assy. seems
      to be based on totemed fets. Kind of an ironic concept when you
      think of it ... fast fets driving fast fets. :-)

      Re: cost and availablity ... no I don't. The web site doesn't seem
      to have a section for this. I guess I'll have to call the rep to
      find out. I'll put this on my todo list along with the todo of
      measuring the inductance of my meg's input coil.

      Best,

      Stan
    • Stan Mayer
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2001
        --- In MEG_builders@y..., "David Ball" <david@a...> wrote:
        > Stan,
        >
        > 10 times faster than conventional MOSFET's is got to very good.
        > These devices are based on stripline (microwave switching
        technology)
        > perhaps this is our answer, ref my posts yesterday!
        > The driver looks easy enough to fabricate ourselves - if it is too
        expensive
        > to purchase.
        > Any ideas on cost and availability of these parts?
        > Regards
        > David

        David and all,

        Regarding pricing and availability ... I called the rep and learned
        that prices for these fine MOSFETs are just a bit steep. While I
        didn't get prices for everything, I did get some ball park stuff. As
        for availability, not all stuff is off the shell and if not 3 weeks
        shipping time. They're willing to deal with small orders and it
        sounds like shipping and handling is very reasonable.

        MOSFETS:

        (note: the ~ symbol means approximately equal to)
        MOSFETS
        DE150 series .... ~$30 in plastic, ~ twice that much in ceramic
        DE275 series .... ~$41 in plastic, " " " " "
        DE375 series .... ~$51 in plastic, " " " " "
        MOSFET Driver PCAs
        FPS-1N .... $159.00
        FPS-4n .... $395.00
        New Gate Driver IC from IXYS Corp
        IXDD420 .... $12

        If anybody is interested, call sales dept. at (970) 493-1901 (Denver,
        CO USA) and you'll likely be talking with Ron Sherwood who seems to
        be very easy to talk with.

        Best,

        Stan

        P.S. Did just a bit more research on the web today on fast fets and
        came across Harris Semiconductor who has a mess of fet offerings.
      • dtb1000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2001
          Stan and David,

          There are a number of companies such as,

          Polyfet.com/

          VDMOS voltage to 50V

          DC to 1.5Ghz

          4W to 300W

          Solitron Devices.com/

          N and P channel -60 to 1000V -1.5 to75A

          Gensemi.com/ Application notes

          Intenational Rectifier

          Chipcenter.com/power/powaarch.htm

          If you know your spec. Requirements, no problem finding a device.

          DTB

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2001
            --- In MEG_builders@y..., dtb1000@y... wrote:

            > Stan and David,
            >
            > There are a number of companies such as,
            >
            > Polyfet.com/ <snip>
            >
            > DTB

            DTB,
            I thought I replied to this message but it looks like I may not
            have. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for the hints.
            Keep them coming!!!

            Best regards,

            Stan

            P.S. Sorry to be so long getting back to you!