My MEG replication

  • lichtrov
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
      Hi all!

      I'm an EE and was intriqued by MEG because of simple circuitry
      required to operate. I've built my own replication of the MEG - also
      unsuccessfully (I mean I didn't obtain COP > 1). In my controller I
      can independently change both frequency and duty cycle of the gate
      driving voltage. My MEG has taps on both primary and secondary
      windings and I can play with turns ratio. While working without load,
      I obtained output voltage with close to sine waveform and amplitudes
      around reported by Bearden and Naudin. However, after loading the
      output (even lightly with 100kOhm resistor), output voltage decreases
      significantly to a few volts.

      It's pretty hard to debug the device since I don't understand how it
      should work. I started to dig into Berden's patent and I have a
      question: does anybody have an idea how Bearden measured the current
      in both primary (Fig 6D) and secondary (Figs 6G,H)?

      The question arised because the primary current he described has
      extremely small duty cycle - around 1 microsecond for both rise and
      fall. It supposes duty cycle with around 500 nanoseconds of active
      driving voltage - nothing comparable can be seen in Figs 6A,B. Also I
      tried to build high side current measurement circuit and (even with
      most recent chips!) it has around 500kHz bandwidth and cannot provide
      such a sharp waveform. Thus I presume that Tom measured a voltage on
      a small low side resistor. The voltage produced by such measurement
      can have short spikes as presented in Fig 6D because of capacitive
      coupling from adjacent circuitry and even from the ground ripple
      itself.
    • George Pitts
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
        Hi Lichtrov,

        What was your gate driving voltage and frequency? You will get
        mysteriously little out of Bearden and Naudin, if anything.

        Dr. GG Pitz

        lichtrov wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I'm an EE and was intriqued by MEG because of simple circuitry
        > required to operate. I've built my own replication of the MEG - also
        > unsuccessfully (I mean I didn't obtain COP > 1). In my controller I
        > can independently change both frequency and duty cycle of the gate
        > driving voltage. My MEG has taps on both primary and secondary
        > windings and I can play with turns ratio. While working without load,
        > I obtained output voltage with close to sine waveform and amplitudes
        > around reported by Bearden and Naudin. However, after loading the
        > output (even lightly with 100kOhm resistor), output voltage decreases
        > significantly to a few volts.
        >
        > It's pretty hard to debug the device since I don't understand how it
        > should work. I started to dig into Berden's patent and I have a
        > question: does anybody have an idea how Bearden measured the current
        > in both primary (Fig 6D) and secondary (Figs 6G,H)?
        >
        > The question arised because the primary current he described has
        > extremely small duty cycle - around 1 microsecond for both rise and
        > fall. It supposes duty cycle with around 500 nanoseconds of active
        > driving voltage - nothing comparable can be seen in Figs 6A,B. Also I
        > tried to build high side current measurement circuit and (even with
        > most recent chips!) it has around 500kHz bandwidth and cannot provide
        > such a sharp waveform. Thus I presume that Tom measured a voltage on
        > a small low side resistor. The voltage produced by such measurement
        > can have short spikes as presented in Fig 6D because of capacitive
        > coupling from adjacent circuitry and even from the ground ripple
        > itself.

      • Erin Casson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
          Hello! Keep up the good work on that MEG. Basically (from what I understand), it is transforming ether/virtual particle flux energy into the circuits.

          Erin

          lichtrov <lichtrov@...> wrote:
[...]

          Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        • Kent Andersen
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2007
            Sounds like you have done quite a bit of homework. This seems to be a
            typical result from MEG builders
            In a video that I watched where bearden goes into detail on the MEG's
            operation it is more of a L/C
            type of circuit. from what he said in that video the input waveform is
            like /`\ ramp up and ramp down.
            as you can tell there are some sweet spots between pulse width and
            frequency of the drive signal.
            since its a L/C circuit you must design a load match transformer that
            will allow you to pull power out of it.
            simply putting a resistive load across the output will detune the
            circuit and throw it out of its "balance"
            I have not done this myself yet as I have been short on time but that is
            my next step to design a, more or
            less a balun or unun to decouple the meg from the effects of the load.

            (Kent)

            lichtrov wrote:

            > Hi all!
            >
            > I'm an EE and was intriqued by MEG because of simple circuitry
            > required to operate. I've built my own replication of the MEG - also
            > unsuccessfully (I mean I didn't obtain COP > 1). In my controller I
            > can independently change both frequency and duty cycle of the gate
            > driving voltage. My MEG has taps on both primary and secondary
            > windings and I can play with turns ratio. While working without load,
            > I obtained output voltage with close to sine waveform and amplitudes
            > around reported by Bearden and Naudin. However, after loading the
            > output (even lightly with 100kOhm resistor), output voltage decreases
            > significantly to a few volts.
            >
            > It's pretty hard to debug the device since I don't understand how it
            > should work. I started to dig into Berden's patent and I have a
            > question: does anybody have an idea how Bearden measured the current
            > in both primary (Fig 6D) and secondary (Figs 6G,H)?
            >
            > The question arised because the primary current he described has
            > extremely small duty cycle - around 1 microsecond for both rise and
            > fall. It supposes duty cycle with around 500 nanoseconds of active
            > driving voltage - nothing comparable can be seen in Figs 6A,B. Also I
            > tried to build high side current measurement circuit and (even with
            > most recent chips!) it has around 500kHz bandwidth and cannot provide
            > such a sharp waveform. Thus I presume that Tom measured a voltage on
            > a small low side resistor. The voltage produced by such measurement
            > can have short spikes as presented in Fig 6D because of capacitive
            > coupling from adjacent circuitry and even from the ground ripple
            > itself.

          • Wayne Robey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2007
              --- Kent Andersen <sci@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like you have done quite a bit of homework. This seems to be a
              > typical result from MEG builders
              > In a video that I watched where bearden goes into detail on the MEG's
              > operation it is more of a L/C
              > type of circuit. from what he said in that video the input waveform
              > is
              > like /`\ ramp up and ramp down.

              That makes sense since the primary and secondary should be closely
              coupled ( as distinct from the sine output of a high Q self resonant
              secondary that is loosely coupled)

              > since its a L/C circuit you must design a load match transformer that
              > will allow you to pull power out of it.
              > simply putting a resistive load across the output will detune the
              > circuit and throw it out of its "balance"

              That does not make sense, a resistive load would lower the Q but by
              definition not detune anything. It would change the flux in the core,
              so that would change the inductance a bit, and some frequency & dwell
              adjustments could possibly be helpful. Does the "load match"
              transformer you mention have something to do with drawing power from
              both secondarys equally to maintain the balance between the sides?

              > I have not done this myself yet as I have been short on time but that
              > is
              > my next step to design a, more or
              > less a balun or unun to decouple the meg from the effects of the
              > load.
              >
              > (Kent)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Kent Andersen
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 25, 2007
                well I think you could use a smaller secondary coil on it. Most of these
                guys go for big voltage
                because they get the idea that big voltage = big power.
                you might try youtube.com they sometimes have these videos pirated there.
                Bearden is selling the video on his website here.
                http://www.cheniere.org/sales/buy-e1.htm

                he has completely moved away from his theories of phase conjugation
                (junk science stuff)
                to more practical theories that everyone else in the scientific
                community is using.
                I would surely check out that video if you can before you go out
                spending big wads of cash
                do your research as it is known that the patents do not contain all of
                the information required
                to reproduce what it is claimed to do.
                some other data you might want to look at is here if you have not already
                http://jnaudin.free.fr/meg/meg.htm

                I recently purchased 2 of the metglass C cores AMCC500 which I am going
                to use in some experiments
                with ferro magnetic resonance. they were 179.00 per pair.. so if you
                decide to build a meg prepare
                to go for a ride.

                Hope that helps

                Kent

                lichtrov wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > The question arised because the primary current he described has
                > > > extremely small duty cycle - around 1 microsecond for both rise
                > and
                > > > fall. It supposes duty cycle with around 500 nanoseconds of active
                > > > driving voltage - nothing comparable can be seen in Figs 6A,B.
                > Also I
                > > > tried to build high side current measurement circuit and (even
                > with
                > > > most recent chips!) it has around 500kHz bandwidth and cannot
                > provide
                > > > such a sharp waveform. Thus I presume that Tom measured a voltage
                > on
                > > > a small low side resistor. The voltage produced by such
                > measurement
                > > > can have short spikes as presented in Fig 6D because of capacitive
                > > > coupling from adjacent circuitry and even from the ground ripple

              • lichtrov
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 26, 2007

                  --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, Kent Andersen <sci@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > The question arised because the primary current he described has
                  > > extremely small duty cycle - around 1 microsecond for both rise
                  and
                  > > fall. It supposes duty cycle with around 500 nanoseconds of active
                  > > driving voltage - nothing comparable can be seen in Figs 6A,B.
                  Also I
                  > > tried to build high side current measurement circuit and (even
                  with
                  > > most recent chips!) it has around 500kHz bandwidth and cannot
                  provide
                  > > such a sharp waveform. Thus I presume that Tom measured a voltage
                  on
                  > > a small low side resistor. The voltage produced by such
                  measurement
                  > > can have short spikes as presented in Fig 6D because of capacitive
                  > > coupling from adjacent circuitry and even from the ground ripple

                • Wayne Robey
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 26, 2007
                    --- lichtrov <lichtrov@...> wrote:

                    > And one more question: does anybody have an idea why such a huge
                    > secondary voltage is required (TB in the patent claims that it can be
                    >
                    > lowered with smaller secondary windings, but I didn't see anything
                    > done with low secondary voltage)?

                    My speculation based on Naudin's observations that his HV windings gave
                    out due to internal corona discharge after extensive testing and his
                    claim that a conditioned resistor (which I think may have internal
                    discontinuities serving as sites for micro arcs) is that these
                    discharges are essential, so if his design worked when using low
                    voltage wire, it may fail simply by changing to 5 KV rated magnet wire.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • softwarelabus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 29, 2007
                      Hi,

                      At this very moment you can purchase the Metglas AMCC 320 cores for
                      $110 from http://elnamagnetics.com

                      There's some very important information MEG researchers should know
                      about. I spoke with the engineer at Metglas and he said it's difficult
                      to couple the two U-shaped cut cores together tight enough to achieve
                      the materials exceptionally high permeability and coercivity. In fact,
                      the Metglas engineer said his test, which consisted of taping two
                      pressed cores together, resulted in a completely flat BH-curve with
                      relatively low permeability. I'm not certain how much pressure one
                      needs to apply on the core halves, but one should be very cautious as
                      such nanocrystalline and amorphous material is brittle. My suggestion
                      is to rub the two cores together thereby creating some micro powder to
                      fill in any gaps, and then press the two cores together. To verify the
                      two cores are correctly coupled you could apply two static AC signals.
                      One signal would be strong low frequency, no higher than 1 Hz. The
                      other will be a weak higher frequency signal of a few KHz's. It's
                      important the KHz signals peak to peak current remain relatively
                      constant. To achieve this you could place a high resistance resistor
                      in series with the KHz signal so it's peak to peak current does not
                      change much as the 1 Hz signal changes. The 1 Hz signal peak must be
                      high enough to saturate the core. Next, view the induced voltage on a
                      secondary coil. If the two cores are correctly coupled then the KHz
                      signal should mostly be low in amplitude along with a blip high in
                      amplitude. On the other hand, an improperly coupled core should
                      result in a flat KHz signal with no blip.

                      Also you'll want to store such cores stored in a desiccator-- low
                      humidity environment. Believe it or not, cheap cat litter that
                      contains silica gel works great. You'll want to microwave the cat
                      litter to expel the absorbed moisture. Once it cools then place it in
                      a seal tight bag or container along with the nanocrystalline core.
                      This will prevent the core from oxidizing.

                      I learned some very concerning information from the Metglas engineer.
                      The AMCC cores are not longitudinally annealed, but no-field annealed.
                      I don't know if they were ever longitudinally annealed, but this was a
                      shocker since my computer simulations (based on conventional physics)
                      shows the "free energy" comes from a coil robbing Magnetic entropy
                      away from Lattice entropy, which occurs when the core goes to
                      saturation. Present simulations indicate longitudinally annealed cores
                      have appreciable magnetic entropy, and non-annealed cores have
                      significantly less magnetic entropy, and transversely annealed cores
                      have negative entropy when such material is saturated. Actually
                      simulations show transversely annealed cores behave erratically
                      depending on various situations. Note that two U-shaped cores not
                      properly coupled perform just like a transversely annealed core. This
                      gap effect is seen in simulations due to the micro gaps between the
                      cut core.

                      In a nutshell, it's very important to verify your cut AMCC core is
                      properly coupled and exhibits the materials natural exceptionally high
                      permeability and coercivity. According to simulations the high
                      coercivity is very important in achieving magnetic entropy.

                      Here's an outline of what the simulation software reveals. With no
                      applied field the magnetic dipole moments on such material on average
                      are appreciably unaligned because the longitudinally annealing
                      discourages domain structure-- lower order, higher magnetic entropy.
                      When the core is saturated the magnetic moments are aligned-- high
                      order, low magnetic entropy. Normally when magnetic entropy decreases
                      there's an increase in lattice entropy. Meaning, magnetic entropy is
                      converted to heat. This is a well-understood process known as MCE
                      (Magnetocaloric effect). MCE is difficult to notice in typical
                      magnetic materials at room temp because the domains are mostly
                      saturated with no applied field; i.e., low magnetic entropy. When the
                      material is above Curie temp the magnetic moments are in disorder, the
                      domains are destroyed; i.e., high magnetic entropy. The problem is
                      such materials have hardly any permeability above Curie. Although,
                      Superparamagnetic materials have high magnetic entropy well below
                      Curie. According to simulations, such material with exceptionally
                      high permeability require extraordinarily small amount of energy from
                      the coil used as a catalyst to convert magnetic entropy to lattice
                      entropy (heat). Last year I witnessed MCE in a Metglas transversely
                      annealed core, but at the time I couldn't figure out why the effect
                      was so erratic, and even reverse some times. Actually I asked Metglas
                      for a longitudinally annealed core, but oddly enough they sent me the
                      worst type of core for "free energy," a transversely annealed core.
                      Recently, after discovering this, I bought some Metglas MAGAMP cores,
                      which are uncut longitudinally annealed 2714A core material. I'm still
                      in the process of measuring MCE at room temperature in such cores, but
                      so far it appears they definitely exhibit appreciable MCE at room
                      temperature. :-)

                      How to capture such magnetic entropy away from lattice entropy is
                      another story. What occurs is electrons flip, which generates a pulse,
                      emits photons. The flip rate depends on the type of atoms, lattice,
                      and material electrical resistance. Such Metglas cores have low
                      electrical resistance, which can significantly slow down the flip rate
                      due to eddy currents. Note that 18 micro tape wound cores reduce macro
                      eddy currents, but not nano scale eddy currents around the atomic
                      flip. Ideally the coil would collect a percentage of the pulse,
                      magnetic entropy. So now the core is saturated-- align magnetic
                      moments, low magnetic entropy. According to standard physics it
                      requires energy to break such magnetic alignments. Temperature
                      (vibrating atoms) breaks such magnetic bonds, which is why such
                      magnetic materials cool down when the applied field is removed-- the
                      later half of MCE. Therefore, the coil captures energy that is
                      normally converted to lattice entropy. When the field is removed the
                      material cools slightly more than it stated.

                      The end results are a device that moves ambient energy at the output,
                      which cools the core. Recent simulations are showing the core domain
                      structure can abruptly change when this occurs. If true, then it would
                      require a machine that adapts and re-tunes itself continuously and
                      dynamically. That could explain why Naudin had trouble closing the
                      loop. There seems to be controversy what Naudin failed. All I know is
                      that a person who lives in France, was in direct contact with Naudin,
                      and claimed that Naudin did indeed closed the loop, but the MEG would
                      run for a very brief time. He said Naudin could not figure it out. If
                      Naudin was capturing ambient energy from the core, then it's my
                      opinion that such a device is finely tuned and highly balanced, and a
                      slight change in core temperature would cause significant domain
                      structure. I think the Metglas MEG is legitimate, but someone needs to
                      spend the time to figure out how to make the circuit adapt to the
                      cores changes and/or somehow keep the inner core at a stable temperature.

                      My final comment on the MEG is that presently I see no way of capture
                      such Magnetic entropy from ferrite cores. In a nutshell, such ferrite
                      cores are made of powdered iron. A bonding material separates the iron
                      particles. Therefore, with no applied field, each iron particle will
                      be appreciably saturated due to strong domains. Furthermore, a
                      saturated core would actually have *less* B-field magnetic entropy due
                      to the iron particle separations as caused by the bonding material.
                      Perhaps an intensely longitudinally annealed ferrite core could work.
                      Regardless, it's difficult to beat nanocrystalline and amorphous cores
                      that have permeability over 500000, especially if they are
                      longitudinally annealed! :-)

                      Regards,
                      Paul Lowrance

                    • Kent Andersen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2007
                        Wow Paul!

                        Very good research! I am very impressed with what you have presented here.
                        I might add that that one way to get them to dynamically change
                        resonance is to
                        PL or phase lock it, the input frequency would have to be determined by
                        the output frequency.
                        whereas you would tap a certain amount of power from the output coil to
                        directly drive the input coil
                        it should find its resonance and "lock" in on maximum output. of course
                        there are some factors that
                        must be addressed and that would have to be a circuit that would
                        automatically adjust phase delay for
                        the hysterisys curve of not only the metglass core but the permanant
                        magnet field that is in the core.
                        these numbers would obviously vary from each meg. This is about the
                        only method I can see to
                        make it so that the temperature problems could be compensated.

                        softwarelabus wrote:

> [...]
                        > > some other data you might want to look at is here if you have not
                        > already
                        > > http://jnaudin.free.fr/meg/meg.htm <http://jnaudin.free.fr/meg/meg.htm>
                        > >
                        > > I recently purchased 2 of the metglass C cores AMCC500 which I am going
                        > > to use in some experiments
                        > > with ferro magnetic resonance. they were 179.00 per pair.. so if you
                        > > decide to build a meg prepare
                        > > to go for a ride.
                        > >
                        > > Hope that helps
                        > >
                        > > Kent
                        > >
                        > > lichtrov wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you for the response. I'm thinking about load matching also.
                        > > >
                        > > > Where the video, you're talking about, can be downloaded from?
                        > > >
                        > > > And one more question: does anybody have an idea why such a huge
                        > > > secondary voltage is required (TB in the patent claims that it can be
                        > > > lowered with smaller secondary windings, but I didn't see anything

                      • Norm Fletcher
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 20, 2007
                          Hi
                          I wanted to give you some of the results of my MEG replication and the current state of
                          my ongoing investigation.
                          Some initial notes:
                          1. The MEG should not be viewed as a transformer. Doing so will just confuse what the
                          system is designed to accomplish.
                          2. The usual output of a transformer with a magnet placed as it is in the MEG is that
                          of a biased transformer. Most likely, your output waves were not symetrically sinusoidal
                          but skewed to either the leading edge or the trailing edge of the sine curve. This skewing
                          is due to the magnet's flux direction. This apparently happens at most frequencies except
                          for a few near the resonant frequency or harmonics thereof.
                          If you change the load, as you observed, the resonant frequency changes. Then the MEG
                          becomes inefficient with a common underunity output. Dr. Bearden describes the MEG as
                          "Highly non-linear" and one can surmise why with all the variables changing by the
                          nanosecond.
                          3. I prefer to think of the MEG core as a dual flux pathway for the magnet with the
                          control coils acting as flux switches. The unfortunate result of the MEG as described in the
                          patent is that the flux from the input coils does not remain locally and change the
                          permeability of the core in that small area of the core near the input coils. Instead, the B
                          field traverses the entire circuit of the core and mixes with the magnet's flux. And, just to
                          recap, the resonant frequency depends on load variance, winding quality, circuit Q,
                          strength of the magnet, permeability of the core, slew rate of the core and God knows
                          what else.
                          We believe we have stumbled upon an answer to this problem and sometime in late June
                          or July we will be testing a MEG core with radically new input architecture.
                          As soon as this metalurgic process has a provisional patent status, I will publish the "how
                          to" to this group. We hope new MEG consturction will produce a linear device capable of
                          determining output based on the usual formulaic components: frequency, core area, core
                          permeability, amount of dynamic flux and number of windings.

                          Wish us luck!

                          Norm