Re: Construction Questions - Help Request

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      Hey Stan,

      I'm new to the MEG itself, but I have a wide variety of electrical
      experience working in various sections. I thought this information
      might be of some use for you:

      1. I have had experience in winding power transformers. It is best to
      wind the windings reasonably well to get optimum efficiency.

      2. I have previously bought magnets from www.aussiemagnets.com.au
      Neodymium (rare earth) magnets are good to work with.
      The fit should be reasonably tight, as mechanical movement /
      vibrations of the magnets will affect performance.

      3. Closing the loop is feeding the output of the MEG to charge the
      battery. There could be a risk of high circulating currents causing
      parts to burn out. Like if you place a microphone to a speaker and it
      squeals.

      4. I'm not sure why that size core is being used. Maybe to make
      making the MEG easier?
      As far as saturation is concerned, you may want to try Stan Meyer's
      water fuel cell pulse driver (look at waveform on diagram -
      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Water_fuel_cell_cir
      cuit.png ). The longer gate pause should help the core recover.

      5. I don't think it will make any difference if it is 24 or 25 volts
      to operate the MEG. When you charge 24 volts worth of batteries, you
      will need to input 27.6 volts to charge them fully.

      I hope this information has been of some help to you,

      Andrew Gardiner
      http://www.thewaterengine.com

      --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Mayer" <StanMayer@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, "source_dipole"
      > <source_dipole@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > 1. On building the coils does anyone know of a company that
      > > will wind the coils for you? Is this a critical construction
      > > element? Hand winding or not?
      > >
      > > 2. On the permanent rectangular magnet in the center.
      > > Will any type of magnet work? Can anyone suggest a
      > > good company to buy from or will any electronic supplier
      > > do? How tight should the fit be?
      > >
      > > 3. On "CLOSING THE LOOP". Do you mean to disconnect
      > > from or by-pass the battery altogether? Is this what
      > > is ment by "CLOSING THE LOOP"?
      > >
      > > 4. On the 320 core. Why is this size of core being used?
      > > What about a bigger core? Would a bigger core be better
      > > in terms of avoiding core saturation and producing greater
      > > power output?
      > >
      > > 5. The Battery. Will 24 Volts work instead of 25 volts?
      > > Is there a battery type that will work better than some other?
      > >
      > > 6. Stan. Where can I buy that electronic circuit simulator
      > > you mentioned using in one of your responses?
      >
      > Dear Source_Dipole,
      >
      > The electronic circuit simulator that I use is MicroSim Eval. 8.0.
      This program can be downloaded for free from ...

      > http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~herniter/Software/Cadence/pspice.htm
      >
      > On this page find the "MicroSim Version 8.0" section and the
      select "1. Click here to download version 8.0 of Schematics from
      MicroSim." Then, at the resulting next page, select "Method 1:
      Click here to download PSpice in one large file (16 MB)." The file
      that you download to your PC should be named 80dlabe.exe and should
      indeed be about 16 Mb in size. I really like this program even
      though it is only a demo version and won't allow you to create your
      own parts and/or bring in PSpice libraries.