Re: [MEG_builders] Re: help needed for MEG tuning

  • Wayne Robey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2006
      On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 05:56:48 -0000
      "Norm Fletcher" <fletchmo47@...> wrote
      > In looking at your output waveforms, it appears that your MEG is still a
      > "Biased transformer". Note the skewed output waveform. Try changing the
      > input frequency/voltage so that the output is a perfect sinewave.
      > (believe me, that's the trick!) Only then is the output a result of only
      > switching the flux of your magnet. Right now, the primary is
      > producing external flux and that flux is intercepting the secondaries. The
      > MEG has become a transformer (like the rest of us) with a COP<1

      I have 2 comments, for which I hope to see a reply:
      Since the core is not continuously saturated, the primary will always couple highly to the secondary on it's leg. From previous posts indicating that keeping the field created by the primary in the core is critical, it would follow that this coupling would be large. As the thickness to width (c/b) of the secondary increases, the coupling of the secondary to the core decreases. At some point the coupling to the primary could be loose enough to clearly observe the self resonance of this core. You can see this clearly in old TV fly-back transformers. Could this secondary resonance be what you are tuning for?

    • Norm Fletcher
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18, 2006
        --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Robey" <robeyw@...> wrote:

        > Since the core is not continuously saturated, the primary will always couple highly to the
        secondary on it's leg.

        You can see this clearly in old TV fly-back transformers. Could this secondary resonance
        be what you are tuning for?

        OK
        Let me see if I can make clear what I've been trying to point out. You make an excellent
        point in the first statement "Since the core is not continuously saturated, the primary will
        always couple highly to the secondary on it's leg".
        It's just that we don't want ANY coupling. Before you think I just don't understand
        transformers I'd like to point out that a perfectly successful MEG is NOT a transformer. It is
        a dual closed flux pathway with 2 flux switches.
        Consider a MEG core with output coils and magnet as we see on the patent. Now, instead
        of input coils, we cut an air gap in the core and put in that gap a "magic" material that
        would act as a switch for the flux. The 'magic' stuff would react to a low power electronic
        input by radically changing it's permeability from very permeable to perhaps the
        permeability of air. It would do this without introducing flux into the core. The only flux in
        the core would be the magnet's.
        The primary coils described in the MEG patent, IF wound properly, IF excited with a
        correctly shaped waveform, IF firing at exactly the right frequency, will, in theory, give us
        an over-unity condition. The problem arises in the delicate balance of necessary "IF"
        conditions that must be met for a successful experiment. What I'm suggesting is that we
        knock out some of these "IFs" by dropping the input coils as they are described in the
        patent and work on some kind of flux switch for the core instead. This could be a new,
        specially designed coil, or an exotic array of metals or something else. What Dr. Bearden
        has said all along is that we need to stop thinking along the lines of traditional
        transformer building. Anyway, that's what I've been working on.

        Norm
      • Brent Selleck
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2006
          Very well said.... and I await your results eagerly...