Re: negative result

  • YoTango
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2005
      --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, brent and gay meyer christensen
      <brentco@c...> wrote:
      > My experiments were crude, using ordinary iron laminations and magnets
      > from microwave oven, plus coils I had around and pulled from other
      > transformers. I was unable to even get any output: I thought if I
      saw at
      > least 80 per cent or more that it was worth getting a better magnetic
      > core but my results seemed to show a strong damping from the magnets
      > instead of a 'spring' or flyback ringing. Had a brain storm about a
      > coaxial design; all components layered from the center out.... maybe
      > magnets inside or maybe magnets as final layer but after earlier
      > failures never went further. I admit the 'idea' is very intriqing and
      > 'seems' like it should work but if fancy expensive cores and other
      parts
      > are needed it gets hard for the backyard mad scientist to succed. I
      know
      > negative results aren't much fun but I gotta report my mistakes if it
      > helps; probably not.LOL brent

      Hi,

      I'll take a wild guess that your coil did not have enough current
      going through them to overcome the magnet.

      I think its great that you and others are at least trying. I would
      say that IMHO the MEG is extremely reliant upon the high permeable
      properties of the core. I've seen people selling their metglas cores.
      Perhaps you could find one really cheap.

      Also, I think the exact current signals are extremely sensitive in the
      MEG. Perhaps if the current signals are not close enough then it
      won't work.

      For anyone who's had a little success with the MEG, but who cannot get
      it run continuously ... I would suggest, as an experiment, that they
      try heating the core to various different degrees. Look at the
      metglas core specs and find the curie temperature. Try keeping the
      core to a high enough temperature where the core is still efficient.
      If your MEG only works at a specific temperature then that could be a
      big hint.

      My 2 cents ;)

      YT
    • YoTango
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005
        --- Monsieur Bonheur <dude_buggy@...> wrote:
        > The current doesn't have anything to do with the
        > force of the field.
        >
        > It's the voltage and the number of turns that gives
        > you strength of the field. Experiment a little bit,
        > so you'll be able to understand.

        Magnetic field is generated by current, not voltage. Current is
        generated by voltage potentials. The voltage itself has does not
        create the magnetic field and is not a factor. You can have 10 volts
        or 1,000,000 volts and still end up with the same magnetic field. It
        is current, not voltage. Check out some basic physics books and
        perhaps the following web page will help you.
        http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopcalculator.htm

        The Electric fields in a transformer are generated by di/dt. "di" is
        a change in current. "dt" is a change in time. Let me know if you
        need help learning about this and I'll try to find you a web page for
        educational purposes.
      • steven
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
          --- In MEG_builders@yahoogroups.com, "YoTango" <yotango@...> wrote:

          > --- Monsieur Bonheur <dude_buggy@...> wrote:
          > > The current doesn't have anything to do with the
          > > force of the field.
          > >
          > > It's the voltage and the number of turns that gives
          > > you strength of the field. Experiment a little bit,
          > > so you'll be able to understand.
          >
          > Magnetic field is generated by current, not voltage. Current is
          > generated by voltage potentials. The voltage itself has does not
          > create the magnetic field and is not a factor. You can have 10
          volts
          > or 1,000,000 volts and still end up with the same magnetic field.
          It
          > is current, not voltage. Check out some basic physics books and
          > perhaps the following web page will help you.
          > http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopcalculator.htm
          >
          > The Electric fields in a transformer are generated by di/dt. "di"
          is
          > a change in current. "dt" is a change in time. Let me know if you
          > need help learning about this and I'll try to find you a web page
          for
          > educational purposes.

          In the same instance you can have hundreds of amps and a neglible
          magnetic field. Take an air cored coil, say it generated a field
          value of 0.1 for the sake of simplicity , say 1 Amp flowing then add
          a metal core say pig iron, now we have a field of say 0.5 but still 1
          amp flowing, change the core to super permalloy now we might have a
          field of 1 but still only 1 amp flowing, move to nano crystaline etc,
          The point is, the core material , the number of windings, the guage
          of wire,the coil dimensions and the voltage applied hence current
          flowing, all these factors dictate the field strength, the current
          flowing is way low down in priority of field strength, the core
          material and number of windings being the factors which dictate the
          most.