Re: Inductance Changes with Magnet

  • Dr Mark Snoswell <mark@snoswell.com.au>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
      Here are some selected figures from my lab book:

      Jan 5th 2003.

      Did a whole lot of inductance measurments on the AMCC 1000 core with
      two secondaries coils.
      The coil under test had 496 turns of 1.51mm dia wire.
      Measured DC resistance: 2.4 ohms.

      I took measurments in sets of 3 differetnt core biases sep up with
      Permanent Magnets:
      0 T
      ~0.25 T
      ~0.50 T
      This was acomplished with stacks of magnets -- either none, 3 or 6
      stacks. These are Neodynium magnets with a nominal field strength of
      1T. The stacks either sum up to 25% or 50% of the AMCC 1000 core
      cross sectional area and were positioned right along the edge of the
      cut core and comprised of 13 of 25mm x 3mm x 9mm magnets.

      Tests included measurments with a total air gap of 0.25mm. All
      measurments are in Heneries.

      Bias T gap mm Inductance H
      0.0 0.25 0.738
      0.25 0.25 0.700
      0.50 0.25 0.620

      The reduction of inductance with increacing bias was also observed
      for no air gap.

      At 0.5T bias the same coil has a measured inductance of 2.45 - 3.7 H.
      The varyation is due to the dificulty of clamping the cores together
      and reliably and reducing the air gap to minimum.

      Also of note:
      In numerous tests on several occasion - and in multiple
      configurations - the inductance of the same coil redudes reliably to
      0.181 - 0.185 H when one of the control coils is shorted -- the
      control coil is a 40 turn coil of 2.36mm dia wire with a calculated
      DC resistance 0.0047 ohms (I have yet to make up calibrated low ohms
      bridges to reliably measure these low values!... same goes for custom
      teflon caps with vanishingly small ESR!!).

      All measurments were taken with a DMM and will soon be repeated with
      bridges, signal generator and scope at a range of frequencies.

      PS... the AMCC-1000 (7.1Kg) is more than just a little bigger than
      the core Bearden used, AMCC-320 (2.2Kg)!

      mark