Re: Outstanding analysis of MEG

  • Phil Karn
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
      --- In MEG_builders@y..., Rick Hukkanen <ricker_h@y...> wrote:

      > While Shawn is busy debunking 'perpetual motion' on
      > one hand, part of his argument states the obvious fact
      > that 'the magnetic field produced by a permanent
      > magnet is constant and unchanging in time'. Well,
      > HELLO... This sounds like a 'perpetual' energy flow to
      > me

      Sorry, but it's not. This is an extremely common misconception among
      free energy fans.

      A magnet is no more a source of 'perpetual' energy than a chair or a
      coathook. All three can hold up an object by applying a continuous
      force to it. So what? Force and energy are two entirely different
      things. Energy is force acting through a distance; unless the magnet
      (or chair or coathook) moves, no energy is delivered to anything.

      A magnet *does* store a relatively small amount of energy in its
      magnetic field; that's how an inductor works. But you can't extract
      that energy without depleting the magnetic field. It is certainly no
      "infinite" source of energy.

      Phil
    • Phil Karn
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 11, 2002
        --- In MEG_builders@y..., "Robert Bielik" <robert.bielik@g...> wrote:
        > Wavelength/antenna length ~ 40 . Yet the CFA performs _better_ than
        your normal quarter-wavelength antenna. Go figure...

        Actually, the CFA does *not* perform better. The theory behind it is
        totally flawed, and its inventors are seriously deluded. See
        http://home.att.net/~jnrstanley/mainpres1.html (be sure to see the
        notes at the end).

        The fact is that almost *any* electrical circuit, no matter how small,
        will radiate *some* energy at almost any frequency used in the circuit
        unless great care is taken in its construction. That's why
        electromagnetic interference can be so hard to cure.

        But there's a very big difference between an accidental radiator and a
        device designed to radiate efficiently (i.e., an antenna). Because
        radio systems operate without wires, the attenuation between
        transmitter and receiver is very large. Ergo, receivers must be
        extremely sensitive. So an accidental radiator near a receiver can
        interfere with it even if only a miniscule fraction of the energy
        within the radiator is actually radiated.

        Such is certainly the case with Naudin's load resistor. I'm sure that
        if you connected a pickup coil to a scope and held the coil near his
        load resistor, you'd see a signal on the scope. But only a tiny
        fraction of the energy fed to the resistor is being picked up in this
        way. The vast majority is still being dissipated as heat in the
        resistor. There is simply no "missing energy" that would account for
        the discrepancy between resistor heating and Naudin's measurements.
        Naudin's claim of EM radiation is simply desperate handwaving on his
        part as he frantically tries to maintain the illusion that MEG is
        overunity. It's not.

        Phil
      • BobW
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 21, 2002

          Carbonprobe

          Thanks for sharing those numbers.  I had felt the conditioning made them a virtual open circuit at low volts.  Your data shows a much smaller change in resistance VS voltage than I had expected.

          I am planning to use a FET to switch the load in and out so there is no load at all during the swing through 0 volts.

          Bob