Re: Results

  • fletchmo47
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2002
      > All
      >
      > I am almost ready to start measuring the gain of my MEG.
      >
      > I would like to hear how some or all of you think input and output power
      > should be measured.
      >
      > I have considering running the input from a large capacitor or
      battery while
      > charging another with the output and then comparing the loss of
      charge on
      > one to the gain of charge on the other.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Bob

      To Bob and ALL
      I have the same question about output determination. My MEG acts
      like a poorly efficient transformer so far with the method I used. To
      be fair, I chose the largest Metglas core made. I also am using a
      2x2x1.5inch Neodymium in the core. This thing is BIG and probably
      requires a bit more punch than I've given it to fly well.
      Here is what I've done so far: With the thought that the MEG
      should be a practical device, it was built with only 25 windings of 12
      guage wire on each of the output coils. That way, it's output is about
      100-150v RMS, depending on the input voltage. When the MEG is on and
      powered up, a lightbulb attached to the output can help determine the
      power out with both dc or 44khz ac. For a rough estimate of power out
      I just have the same wattage bulb on with line current to compare
      brightness.
      I have also rectified (with special high frequency diodes) and
      filtered the output and measured the amperage and voltage out directly
      to the bulb. So far, with this method, the MEG is about 60% eficient.

      Like Bob, I would like your suggestions about output measurement
      methods. (I was going to say input about output)

      Thanks, Norm