1365Re: [MEG_builders] Permanent magnet flip-flop: with possible with half gainer

  • ragman
    Mar 20, 2009
      Hi Vince,

      Could you describe your setup a bit more, I have the impression that:

      Your anvile is ferromagnetic (as opposed to say a brick)?
      Your magnets dimensions Length >> Width >> Thickness?
      Your magnets are polarised through the tickness?

      What is the magnetic material and how might it have been manufactured
      (consider any annealing)?
      Are both halves flipping?

      As you would know, permanent magnets can be induced to flip polarities
      along their axis (or around a number of axis in some materials). As i
      see it, the mechanical shock of the chisel (or snap) would provide
      enough of this force. If this is the case then impacting the magnet
      halves back together with enough force may again flip their
      polarities.

      It might be worth studying up on what might be happening at domain or
      atomic level but I don't know much to help there.

      Cheers
      Ragman

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic