Re: [MEFAwards] Re: IMPORTANT: Changes for 2009 Awards

    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hi Alassante,

      > I think its sorted by number. Each nominated story has a number by it -
      > probably assigned when it was nominated. Mine usually was sorted by
      > that. So a late nomination would put the story at the bottom because its
      > number was higher. I might be wrong though. Its been awhile.

      I just checked, and the story list does sort differently when I log in
      under different accounts. So at least for me it works the way I
      described, at least for me.

      You're right that each story is assigned a number, which appears on the
      left hand side of the screen. You're also right that it's generated by
      the order it was nominated. First nomination = 1, second nomination = 2,
      etc. This is what the website uses to keep track of the different
      nominations - kind of like a call number at the library. But the list
      shouldn't be sorted by it unless you tell the list to do it specifically.

      If you run into this next year, I'd be interested in knowing what you
      were doing when you encountered it. Could you mail me if it happens in
      the future? Just drop a line to mefasupport-at-gmail-dot-com.

      Oh, and on this:

      > I think everyone has the best intentions to help out their fellow author
      > so the voting should be as easy as possible. Some people might not think
      > its fair that certain readers only vote in certain categories - say
      > Silmarillion readers who won't read Hobbit or LOTR stories that much, or
      > readers who don't read slash or smut. But since they are taking their
      > time to read a story and review it, I think we, as writers, should be
      > honored/flattered by that alone. I would hate to see less people voting
      > because they feel uncomfortable if they only vote in certain
      > categories/sections /etc.

      *nods, enthusiastically* ONe of the things I've always loved about the
      MEFAs is that you can read as much or as little as you like, so I know
      that what people review, they really chose to do that freely. (Any
      philosophers in the crowd may now laugh at the way my coursework is
      infecting all areas of my thought... :-D) Anyway, I think the best way
      to make the reviewing pool fairer isn't to restrict reviewers, but to
      recruit *new* reviewers. Not enough Silmfic reviews being written? Get
      involved, and recruit silmfic readers. Ditto for people who prefer to
      read longer stories or dwarf-lovers (I know there must be some,
      somewhere!) or Sam/Witch-king slashers or whatever else you can imagine.
      If there's some subgroup that's not as well represented in the MEFAs as
      you think it should be, then encourage that type of fandom member to
      sign up.

      Message 39 of 39 , May 1 1:04 PM
        pandemonium_213 wrote:

        > > Hmm, examples... pandemonium_ 213 actually jumps to mind. His "The
        > > Apprentice" and many of his Eregion fics. Because while there are
        > > undoubtedly drama and humor and action elements, the feature I really
        > > come away from those stories with is world-building, or
        > > character-building.
        >
        > What a minute! Since when did I become a guy? ;^)

        *chuckles* Apparently Annatar has been up to some rather weird sorcerery
        in Eregion. Celebrimbor is most concerned that he'll end up in the
        opposite situation, something Galadriel would *definitely* never let him
        hear the end of.

        (Feel free to consider the above as a crackfic!nuzgul tossed firmly in
        your direction...)

        Seriously, I am *awful* with pronouns. The part my brain that stores
        gender-associations (whether someone is male or female) doesn't connect
        with the part that handles pronouns, I think. (Tanaqui can attest to
        this fact, actually, as she's definitely seen me use the wrong pronoun
        before; I'm infamous for it.) It's created some rather "interesting"
        moments with a transgendered friend of mine. Thankfully he has a great
        sense of humor; he understands that it's a language issue more than a
        gender-identity issue and so he's cool with it.

        Anyway, my apologies, and please know that it was the result of a brain
        slightly addled by the end of term. :-)