MEFA Reviews for Tuesday, December 2, 2008 (Evening Set, Part Three)

  • annmarwalk
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008
      Title: Choosing · Author: docmon · Genres: Drama · ID: 473
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      An excellent idea for a series of short fics. All of them were good. I
      liked the links back to The Hobbit in the Dwarven one. Thranduil's
      pain at his necessary and right decision stood out in the Elven one. I
      didn't enjoy the Man one as much, but that's because I hate to see
      that in Denethor. All three were very well-written with lovely word
      choices as well as good characterisation.

      Title: The Kindly Airs · Author: Dwimordene · Times: Late Third Age:
      General Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 480
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 1
      Such a different idea, and so poetically written. Just lovely.

      Title: Diamonds For Forever I, II & III · Author: Elen Kortirion ·
      Genres: Romance: Other Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 515
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      It's just beautiful writing and imagery. I would be hard put to choose
      a favourite line or sentence but perhaps [delicately wreathing bare
      branches rimed with diamonds... winter gems for Ecthelion's pale
      northern bride] I also particularly enjoyed the description of
      Ecthelion's snowy walks in the first drabble. It's a clever idea to
      have Arwen create a new heirloom to reflect the new world of hope that
      they and their children will now live in.

      Title: The King's Colors · Author: Dwimordene · Genres: Alternate
      Universe: Steward's Family · ID: 482
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      Beautifully written! The idea is just such an unusual twist and so
      well done. I could quote examples of language I loved forever but
      here's a simple line that stirred me:
      [Duty slipped through his fingers like water]
      I loved this line too:
      [And all of them standing beneath that splendid-dreadful banner.]

      Poor Boromir - so much pain and to see his whole world turned upside
      down and his pain and duty brought to naught.

      I loved the storyline, but again let me say it was the way you used
      words - elegant in its true meaning, beautiful, heart-rending and
      incisive.

      Title: Comfort · Author: Bodkin · Races: Elves: House of Elrond · ID: 161
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      Lovely images of the twins comforting each other. I enjoyed the
      different angle taken on this story - so much less about Arathorn's
      death and so much more about the twin's feelings of guilt and sorrow.
      So hard for them to be to be so powerful and so helpless. The story
      also contains some beautiful word pictures.

      Title: Before You Go · Author: Nancy Brooke · Races: Men: Minas Tirith
      · ID: 506
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      Gosh, I'm pleased that the MEFAs caused me to find that. You've
      written a brilliant Denethor - clever, stubborn, torn by what fate
      offers him, loving this eldest son of his even as he sees the
      differences between them and unable despite all his power to alter
      what must be. Denethor is an incredibly complex character and it is
      very nice to see him written as so. I also like the glimpses of
      Boromir we get through his actions and through his father's eyes.

      Title: Pippin's Secret · Author: shirebound · Races: Hobbits:
      Friendship · ID: 599
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      What a clever idea! It's just a simple twist to the accepted canon,
      but I haven't seen it done before. I thought Pippin's dialogue was
      good - you managed 'young, but not too young' very well.

      Title: Concerning Walls · Author: Larner · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Frodo and Faramir · ID: 112
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      Spoilers!
      I absolutely loved all the detail you managed to build into this story
      - of Hobbits and Hobbit history and of Faramir's life too. That
      stonecrop and stars - tiny glimpses of beauty from their life before -
      would cheer them is such right idea. I'm with Frodo - if only the
      HObbiys would never have to know the true darkness the world is
      capable of; that's why the firing of the Shire upsets me so much.
      A very nicely written story.

      Title: Shall We Dance? · Author: Isabeau of Greenlea · Races: Men:
      Steward's Family · ID: 93
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 5
      This is as lovely as all your stories. I love your stories of the
      cousins, and long ago lost my heart to your Imrahil. The content of
      the story is wonderful, but let me pause a moment on the wrapping -
      the words. Such elegant, beatiful word pictures! I love, love, love
      all the descriptive touches - I think you'll understand the compliment
      when I say that your ball may even have outshone a Georgette Heyer
      one. The story itself combines lots of lovely reflective touches of
      the past and of canon, yours and Tolkien's with a story deceptive in
      its simpleness. An excellent job, all round.

      Title: Hope comes for Estel · Author: stefaniab · Genres: Drama:
      Featuring Aragorn · ID: 622
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 2
      A very interesting concept for a gap-filler; certainly it seems likely
      some such conversation must have occurred.

      Title: Steward's Trumpets · Author: Branwyn (Lady Branwyn) · Times:
      Late Third Age: Gondor Drabbles · ID: 400
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 2
      Spoilers!
      That's very sweet - such a nice way to show renewal. I loved the
      description of the flowers - it was a great word picture.

      Title: Restoration · Author: Branwyn (Lady Branwyn) · Races: Men:
      Minas Tirith · ID: 19
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      That's one of the nicest House of Healing ficlets I've read. It was a
      great combination of little details - Elrond's knowledge, the tired
      and dirty soldier, the tan on Faramir's wrist still - with hints of a
      new future to come. Well done.

      Title: Drawing the Eye · Author: Linda Hoyland · Times: Late Third Age
      · ID: 569
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 1
      I particularly enjoyed the descriptive aspects of this story.

      Title: Mournful Fords · Author: Imhiriel · Genres: Drama: Ring War
      Drabbles · ID: 368
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 2
      An interesting idea - it is indeed a pity that Tolkien gave us no
      reaction from Theoden. It must have been hard to live with the
      knowledge that he had let his son as well as his land down.

      Title: Tree of Knowledge · Author: Nancy Brooke · Times: Late Third
      Age: Gondor Drabbles · ID: 172
      Reviewer: Avon · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      Spoilers!
      Oh that's so beautiful! The words, the imagery, the idea... and it's
      got a killer last line. I could read pages of writing this beautiful.
      It really is poetical. This is another treasure I'm glad to have
      unearthed through the MEFAs. For Denthor to know that... I really
      liked also the linking of Denethor and Elrond through their 'sons'.
      You've done a wonderful job with it, Nancy.

      Title: Fidelis · Author: Pentangle · Genres: Drama: Hurt/Comfort · ID: 612
      Reviewer: Ainaechoiriel · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 4
      Spoilers!
      I wasn't sure what to think of this one first. The prequel was well
      written, with wonderous descriptions. The second was so much heavier
      and yet still very well crafted. Legolas and Aragorn felt very much in
      character and Kenuric had become familiar. Lenwe was intriguing and
      Lenwe, well, perhaps too beautiful, but a deep character as well. The
      struggle between life and death, suicide and loss of will to live was
      well played out.

      Title: Oathbreakers · Author: Thundera Tiger · Times: Late Third Age ·
      ID: 470
      Reviewer: Ainaechoiriel · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      Interesting perspective here, allowing for the Mannish side of Elladan
      on the eve of the Paths of the Dead. I enjoyed his discussion with
      Elrohir, both brought up good points and worries.

      Title: A Cat in King Elessar's Court · Author: agape4gondor · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: Friendship · ID: 66
      Reviewer: Ainaechoiriel · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      Spoilers!
      Being a cat person, I loved having this cat's point of view. I did
      think the ending harsh, as I wanted to see his little heirs before the
      end, to make sure the line went unbroken. Still it was a good story
      and I felt it stuck to canon quite closely.

      Title: The Weight of Power · Author: Nefhiriel · Times: Mid Third Age
      · ID: 325
      Reviewer: Calenlass Greenleaf · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      I've known only a few young fanfic authors who are able to write so
      masterfully as Nefhiriel. The portrayal of Aragorn is deft, and all
      original characters--both good and evil--are well-rounded. The story
      is long, but worth the read.

      Title: Kin-Strife · Author: Isabeau of Greenlea · Genres: Drama:
      Incomplete · ID: 92
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 6
      This story tells the beginning of the friendship between Imrahil of
      Dol Amroth and Andrahar of Harad, an OC. Pretty much the whole story
      is populated be original characters or characters which are more or
      less just names in Tolkien's work with some exceptions like Denethor
      and Thorongil. All the characters in this story are well fleshed out
      and especially Andrahar develops a life of his own in this and
      subsequent stories in this universe.

      The contrast between Imrahil, the reckless(and a bit spoiled) Heir to
      Dol Amroth, and Andrahar, a street rat in Umbar, although with a noble
      background, couldn't be greater. But these two complement each other.
      Where Imrahil is too rash, Andrahar may be a bit too cautious.

      The story has everything I could wish for, culture clash, a mysterious
      stranger, and courtship. I hope it will be finished soon.

      Title: Gone Amiss · Author: Raksha the Demon · Genres: Drama: Ring War
      Drabbles · ID: 44
      Reviewer: phyloxena · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 2
      Amazingly poetic piece. The image of the water - tide of life,
      receding, Aragorn's anguish, mounting, all leading to Boromir's soon
      departure.

      Title: To Give Hope · Author: peredhil lover · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Elves and Men · ID: 456
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 5
      Gilraen arrives at Imladris numb with grief and has to face grave
      decisions. I like the way her grief is portrayed and the interweaving
      of her last day with Arathorn and with the decision she has to make.
      Arathorn is still guiding her, although he is no longer there.

      The other thing I like especially about this story is the way the
      twins are characterized. They are not just 'the twins' interchangeable
      from the outside and from within. Each of them has their own distinct
      personality. They may look identical from the outside, but they are
      two very different people. Once Gilraen really gets to know them she
      should have no trouble telling them apart.

      Title: The Revenge of Curufin's Horse · Author: Moreth · Genres: Humor
      · ID: 139
      Reviewer: nancylea · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 1
      Spoilers!
      is that what they meant when they coined "straight from the horse's
      mouth"?

      Title: The Rescue of Celebrian · Author: NeumeIndil · Genres: Drama:
      Incomplete · ID: 382
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 3
      Spoilers!
      This story is intensely emotional. From Celebrian's trauma and madness
      to the reactions of her family. Throwing in some orcs with
      personality, recognized by Celebrian sent a chill down my spine. I
      especially like the characterization of the twins as two different
      personalities.

      Title: I Ain't Got Nobody · Author: Ignoble Bard · Genres: Humor:
      Valar & Maiar · ID: 568
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-12-01 00:00:00 Score: 2
      Spoilers!
      LOL! Glorfindel is really accident prone. All the different kind of
      ways dying are amusing. The best was the suffocation under the tapestry...