MEFA Reviews for Sunday, August 10, 2008 (Part Two)

  • annmarwalk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 6:22 PM
      Title: A Dainty Dish · Author: Linda Hoyland · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Friendship · ID: 722
      Reviewer: balrog · 2008-08-04 21:34:18
      I LOVE MUSHROOMS! I use them everytime I can. This was delicous.

      Title: Another Country · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Men: General
      Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 438
      Reviewer: balrog · 2008-08-04 21:40:26
      Blood is thicker than water. Nice that Boromir forgave his father.
      Nicely done.

      Title: Taking Roots · Author: Imhiriel · Genres: Romance: Drabbles ·
      ID: 367
      Reviewer: balrog · 2008-08-04 21:42:41
      If you want a kingdon then you have to built it yourself. Great work.

      Title: Things as they were in all the days of my life · Author:
      Tanaqui · Races: Men: Pre-Ring War Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 393
      Reviewer: Nancy Brooke · 2008-08-04 21:54:26
      Spoilers!
      I greatly enjoyed the first six of these, each is a great example of a
      drabble, showing a quick but lasting vision of a finite moment.
      However, I was sorry when Hurin left the scene. I think his
      perspective on Denethor's changes would have been really interesting
      and potentially poignant.

      Title: One Summer Day · Author: annmarwalk · Genres: Humor: Gondor ·
      ID: 535
      Reviewer: Nancy Brooke · 2008-08-05 00:03:23
      This suite of fics was lovely. Each one is a pefect little vignette,
      but then they flow so easily and yet unexpectedly from one another,
      and then come full circle neatly and seemingly without effort. And,
      being a Marylander, I have a soft spot for steamed crabs!

      Title: Sun · Author: Claudia · Races: Cross-Cultural: Frodo and
      Faramir · ID: 223
      Reviewer: Thundera Tiger · 2008-08-05 00:08:33
      Spoilers!
      It's amazing to me how so much hope can be packed into such a small
      space. There are a wealth of emotions gathered together in this story,
      and they all feel true and earned. First we find Frodo, perched
      precariously on stone, which is so appropriate given the crossroads he
      will face over the next few years as a Ring-bearer who doesn't really
      belong in Middle-earth anymore. Then there's Faramir, who has eyes
      only for the desolation and whose wounds are still near enough that
      remembrance is painful. All of this is portrayed in vivid, vibrant
      detail with only a few well-chosen words. But the real clencher is
      Frodo's response, acknowledging that even though Minas Tirith might
      never be the same again, at least [it will be]. Fantastic line that
      wraps up all the hope and all the change and all the sorrow that
      pervades the whole of Tolkien's work. The closing lines where Faramir
      and Frodo can both laugh and smile in the sunlight strikes the perfect
      tone on which to the end such a hopeful little story. Brilliant vignette!

      Title: Put Aside Your Doubt · Author: sophinisba solis · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: Frodo and Faramir · ID: 187
      Reviewer: Thundera Tiger · 2008-08-05 00:09:10
      Spoilers!
      I'm a big fan of Faramir so it's always a treat to see him with Frodo
      in these stories (who serves as a great foil), but my favorite
      character in this particular instance was actually Boromir. I salute
      any author who can portray both sides of the man in the same story and
      in such a small stretch of time. We saw Boromir as he truly was in the
      beginning: a brave captain of Gondor who wasn't too proud to make
      friends of legends and myths. And through Frodo's dream, we saw how
      the Ring had taken this good, honorable man and twisted him
      practically beyond recognition. It made for a wonderfully complex
      character, and although I very much enjoyed the rest of the story,
      Boromir's appearance was what impacted me the most. Excellent
      characterization work!

      Title: Concerning Walls · Author: Larner · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Frodo and Faramir · ID: 112
      Reviewer: Thundera Tiger · 2008-08-05 00:10:01
      Spoilers!
      This story feels very quiet to me. It's kind of like the hushed calm
      after a storm, which is very appropriate given its timing. I love the
      things that Frodo and Faramir found to talk about. The conversation
      ranges all over, covering the construction of hobbit holes to the
      confrontation between the Nazgul and Faramir and Boromir at Osgiliath.
      The dialog never stays on one topic for very long but rather moves
      quickly and fluidly, giving this piece a lighter feel that is
      perfectly balanced by the end memories of the Black Riders, which is
      the one thing that both Faramir and Frodo can remember together.
      That's a sobering thought, actually, and though the piece is
      heartwarming, realizations like that are what give it a touch of the
      sadness and longing that pervades most of Tolkien's writings. Finally,
      I have to compliment Larner on the style of this piece, which is very
      reminiscent of Tolkien himself from both the Faramir's standpoint and
      Frodo's. All in all, excellent story!

      Title: Of First Impressions and Old Friends · Author: Dreamflower ·
      Races: Cross-Cultural: Frodo and Faramir · ID: 146
      Reviewer: Thundera Tiger · 2008-08-05 00:10:36
      Spoilers!
      I love this convergence of shared memories! It's great to see the same
      situation from different angles as Faramir remembers and as Frodo
      remembers Boromir remembering. It's a nice bit of light-heartedness in
      the midst of the Ithilien tension, but the best part was seeing
      Gandalf again, especially since both Faramir and Frodo thought him
      dead at the time.

      Title: Many Branches · Author: Baranduin · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Frodo and Faramir · ID: 420
      Reviewer: Thundera Tiger · 2008-08-05 00:11:16
      Spoilers!
      This is just what I might expect from a conversation between Faramir
      and Frodo, especially after Pippin and Merry have had a chance to
      educate the Steward regarding family history! Very light-hearted,
      though it does touch on darker matters, and I can feel the summer of
      Minas Tirith as Frodo and Faramir both stretch out against the wall.
      Great descriptions!

      Title: The World Is Changing · Author: Tanaqui · Times: Late Third
      Age: General Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 719
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-08-05 04:08:28
      Spoilers!
      Oh, indeed, the world has changed, and nothing is as it was. Love this
      look at the twin sons of Elrond and Celebrian looking out at the
      entrance to the vale of Rivendell and knowing their brother will not
      come home there any more. Sad and poignant, and a sign their mission
      has been accomplished--for the moment at least.

      Title: Generations · Author: Bodkin · Genres: Drama: Featuring Aragorn
      · ID: 508
      Reviewer: Gandalfs apprentice · 2008-08-05 04:16:06
      This story popped up as "why not review now?" and it sounded quite
      interesting, so I clicked. So glad I did! The story glitters with
      Bodkin's easy way with dialogue, capturing the characters through
      speech and gesture. Eldarion and Aragorn, like fathers and sons
      everywhere, are having some trouble understanding each other.

      I particularly liked the image of the King of Gondor sprawled in his
      chair, smoking a pipe, and looking much more at home than he did on
      his throne. Very Aragorn-like!

      Title: Tower of the Moon · Author: Nath · Times: Multi-Age · ID: 577
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-08-05 04:17:05
      In four emotion-laden vignettes we see the construction, beauty,
      corruption, and destruction of Isildur's own city, and the thoughts of
      the two kings who ruled its beginning and ending. Descriptions are
      necessarily brief yet still powerful; the images enduring. And indeed
      what will come of the legacy left by this last King of the Eldar days?

      Lovely, evocative tale.

      Title: Before You Go · Author: Nancy Brooke · Races: Men: Minas Tirith
      · ID: 506
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-08-05 04:31:22
      Spoilers!
      An emotional encounter between Denethor and Boromir, told from the
      father's point of view, ere Boromir begins the quest for Imladris,
      seeking the truth behind the dream he's shared with his younger
      brother. This is not movie-Denethor, but one who foresees he will lose
      this son he so loves to what may prove a vain search. A tale as
      shadowed as the board that hosts it, yet still with a ray of hope
      lighting it.

      Title: Kementari · Author: Marta · Times: First Age and Prior · ID: 99
      Reviewer: stefaniab · 2008-08-05 04:42:38
      This ficlet is heartbreaking. Yavanna is probably my favorite Vala.
      Marta beautifully illustrates her grief after the destruction of the
      Two Trees and her conundrum? Should she obey her persistent urge to
      create more beauty now that her greatest creations are gone. Or should
      she stay by the waters in grief, knowing that the only "speaking
      people" bidden to her are the slow tree-herders, whom she knows will
      someday die of ennui? So sad.

      Title: Dark Dreams · Author: Avon · Races: Men: Steward's Family · ID: 282
      Reviewer: stefaniab · 2008-08-05 04:43:30
      "Dark Dreams" centers upon youthful Faramir's very first drowning of
      Numenor nightmare. This well known dream sequence serves author Avon
      as a jumping off place to explore the affect of dreams to Imrahil and
      his Southern Dunedain/Elven family. The result is an atmospheric
      exploration of childhood and myth, from the viewpoint of the Prince of
      Dol Amroth, one of my personal favorite Tolkien characters.

      Title: Collecting Hearts I, II, III & VI · Author: Elen Kortirion ·
      Times: Multi-Age: Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 516
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 05:45:41
      Spoilers!
      Elen Kortirion writes four drabbles on the theme of hearts, real and
      in cards, used by the House of Elrond. Excellent writing here; I found
      that the second, Celebrian's desperation and despair, tore at my own
      heart the most, but they are all a must-read for drabblers and
      connoisseurs of good Elf-fanfiction alike.

      Title: A Sea Visit · Author: Elen Kortirion · Genres: Humor: Drabbles
      · ID: 96
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 05:54:01
      Spoilers!
      A lovely drabble, whimsical and slightly sexy (Aragorn wading in the
      ocean, apparently not wearing much); I loved the surprise at the end.
      I don't think I've ever seen an Aragorn piece quite like this, and
      it's a great little read. Nice to see that some Elves have a sense of
      humor, along with their mysterious friend.

      Title: The Consuming Darkness · Author: Isil Elensar · Genres: Drama ·
      ID: 467
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 06:03:31
      Spoilers!
      Sad and poignant account of the last hours of the last Queen of
      Numenor - Isil Elensar knows how to wring the heartstrings of the reader.

      Title: Painting a Golden Light · Author: chaotic_binky · Genres:
      Drama: Featuring the Noldor · ID: 364
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-08-05 06:08:53
      Spoilers!
      First off--I don't like slash particularly and usually just skip such
      works. I didn't bother looking at the intro to this one, so just read
      it, and found myself intrigued in spite of the relationship between
      Mr. Fin and Captain Erestor. The idea that Sauron was behind the shell
      shock Erestor was suffering and that Glorfindel's Light could best it
      was wonderful, and loved the identity of Dorothy Nerwen--and the
      choice of name.

      Interesting juxtaposition of ME and our history. And love how Tolkien
      was inspired, and the last letter begun. That was so delightfully funny.

      Title: Choosing · Author: docmon · Genres: Drama · ID: 473
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 06:14:48
      Spoilers!
      Three thoughtful vignettes; from the viewpoints of the lords of the
      Lonely Mountain, Mirkwood, and Gondor, on who to send to the Council
      of Elrond to represent their various lands. Well-written and poignant;
      especially since we know that two of these lords and one of their
      envoys will not survive the War of the Ring.

      Title: Denial · Author: Oshun · Races: Elves: House of Finwe · ID: 80
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-08-05 06:15:20
      Interesting to see this family so early in their history, before the
      madness took their father.

      Title: For Our Friends · Author: Pearl Took · Genres: Drama · ID: 654
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 06:21:49
      Spoilers!
      A fine and realistic interpretation of Merry's thoughts in the
      movieverse moments before the Rohirrim's great charge across the
      Pelennor. Excellent progression of Merry's state of mind here, from
      physical weariness to fear to rip-roaring death-seeking martial
      fervor. We can see how the hobbit untrained to arms is transformed,
      while keeping the love he has for his friends.

      Title: The Ring That Sauron Forged · Author: Larner · Genres: Poetry:
      Hobbits · ID: 645
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2008-08-05 08:43:32
      Spoilers!
      A delightful verse replay of the history of the One Ring. Larner rolls
      it along briskly, never losing the rhythym, gathering steam, and
      words, even as she takes the Ring through the years. I love the
      ingenious rhymes of cave/brave/grave!

      Title: The Nightingale · Author: Maeve Riannon · Times: First Age and
      Prior · ID: 404
      Reviewer: hrymfaxe · 2008-08-05 08:49:26
      Maeve tells an interesting story of how difficult it can be to be
      different, and how wast the gulfs can be between our expectations and
      the reality of things.

      I love this image of Melian even if it makes me very sad for her. The
      love she feels for Thingol must be strong indeed for her to have given
      such a sacrifice as she has.

      Beautiful story with a very interesting theory on Maian nature.