Re: [MEFAwards] NEW FAQs - Vote Solicitation, Replying to Reviews

  • debnear@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2008
      I have a question relating to the recent episode at Stories of Arda.

      I see that the links to this year's nominated stories have all been replaced... kudos to whoever did that, and so quickly! My question is... what about the archived stories? Is there a way for them to be replaced as well?

      Thank you!

      From: "melayton@..." <melayton@...>
      Hey guys,

      Tanaqui has just posted to new FAQs that I want everyone to look at. One
      is about a new feature that will be available in a few weeks, and
      another is about a MEFA rule people tend to forget about.

      A few comments about these FAQs....

      **********************

      "Someone left me a review, and I'd like to reply to it. How do I do this?"

      http://mefawards.net/MEFA2008/index.php?page=FAQvoting&lang=english#vot_20

      This FAQ relates to a new feature that will be available in a few weeks,
      when votes start showing up. Due to popular demand, we're going to give
      authors a way to reply to their reviews this year.

      (Please note, this function isn't available yet as reviews won't be
      displayed for a few more weeks; I'm just telling you about it now so
      you're prepared.)

      Authors, when you are logged in, you will see a link beside your reviews
      to "Reply to Reviewer." Clicking that link will open up a pop-up window
      that will give you instructions how to reply to reviews. Essentially you
      will write up a review and email it to me (using a special subject line
      the site generates for you so I know exactly where to send it). I'll
      skim the review to make sure it's not a spam or a flame, and if
      everything's kosher I'll forward it on to the reviewer.

      When you do this the reviewer will get your email address, so they can
      reply back (if they choose to do so). I won't tell you a reviewer's
      email address because I take member privacy seriously, but if they
      choose to reply back, obviously you'll get their email address from them.

      I hope you find this feature useful.

      ********************

      "Can I encourage people to vote for a specific story?"

      http://mefawards.net/MEFA2008/index.php?page=FAQvoting&lang=english#vot_19

      It is natural when you are first nominated to want to tell people. This
      is fine. However, to keep the awards fair, it is against the rules to
      actually ask people to vote for you - what we call vote solicitation. If
      you ask current members to vote for a story (yours or someone else's),
      or if you ask people to join the awards specifically to vote for a
      certain story, that's vote solicitation.

      The first time this happens we'll give you a warning. It really is
      tempting to do, and you may not even be aware of the rule when you first
      join the awards. If you're contacted by a MEFA volunteer asking you to
      remove a comment, please do so.

      There are penalties if you continue to do this, or if you refuse to take
      down an inappropriate comment when asked to do so. These include having
      your story withdrawn and/or losing your voting/nominating privileges. If
      you're unsure of whether a comment would be crossing the line, feel free
      to email mefasupport(.at.)mefawards(.dot.)net to discuss it.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2008
        Hiya PipMer,

        That's a good suggestion. I don't think any of us thought of that, but
        it would be a good change to make.

        I've brought this suggestion to the attention of Tanaqui and Aranel, and
        hopefully one of them will make the change in the next few days.

        Marta

      • debnear@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2008
          Thanks, Marta!

          I"ve been reading some of the previous years' winners, that's why I mentioned it. It's easy enough to search on SoA by title and author, but it's just convenient to be able to click on the link, of course.

          From: "melayton@..." <melayton@...>
          Hiya PipMer,

          debnear@... wrote:

          > I have a question relating to the recent episode at Stories of Arda.
          >
          > I see that the links to this year's nominated stories have all been
          > replaced... kudos to whoever did that, and so quickly! My question is...
          > what about the archived stories? Is there a way for them to be replaced
          > as well?
          >
          > Thank you!

        • Tanaqui
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 2008
            Hi PipMer

            > I have a question relating to the recent episode at Stories of Arda.
            >
            > I see that the links to this year's nominated stories have all been
            > replaced... kudos to whoever did that, and so quickly! My question is...
            > what about the archived stories? Is there a way for them to be replaced
            > as well?

            Thanks for reminding us we needed to do this!

            I've now updated the links at the archive so they should point to the
            stories again. Let us know if you come across anything weird.

            And I'm glad to hear you're finding the archive useful. Aranel did a
            wonderful job of putting it together.

            Tanaqui
          • debnear@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2008
              Thank you, Tanaqui! Everything seems to be working fine.

              Yes, I do find the archive very useful. There are tons of stories there, just waiting to be sampled and enjoyed!

              From: Tanaqui <tanaqui@...>
              Hi PipMer