Gearing Up for 2008

  • aure_enteluva
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2008

      I know some of you are wondering when the 2008 Middle-earth Fanfiction
      Awards will start. A few weeks ago we finished the post-mortem about
      the 2007 awards and decided on some ways to make them better. Several
      volunteers (myself included) are working hard to get the website ready
      for these changes. As we get closer to the awards, I'll write more
      about some of these changes. Some of them are quite exciting and I
      think will make the awards run a lot smoother, but I'd rather they be
      fresh in peoples' minds when the awards start. So enough on that for
      now. :-)

      We are aiming to start the 2008 awards on May 1.

      Some of you have asked what you can do to help. I'll ask for
      volunteers next month. Right now, you can start to think about what
      you'd like to nominate.

      If you are a member of the MEFAwards Yahoo group, you can nominate up
      to twenty stories, poems, drabbles, essays, or any other form of
      writing you can think of. Self-nominations are welcome, so you can
      nominate your own things, or you can nominate stories by other people.

      Each person "only" gets to nominate twenty pieces, which can be a lot
      or painfully little, depending on your reading habits. You could sit
      down and think about what you'd like to nominate. Also, over the next
      six weeks, pay attention to stories you particularly like; you may
      want to nominate them.

      If you decide to nominate pieces by other people (which is great! and
      highly encouraged), we'll need an email address that they check
      regularly. It also helps if they know a story will be nominated so
      they can be on the look-out for emails from us. So if you know someone
      who you'd like to nominate, it's a good idea to check what email
      address they'd like to use. Also, you can tell them that all
      MEFA-related emails will be coming from an "@..." email
      address, so they can tell their email program not to treat such emails
      as spam.

      If you're not already a member of the MEFAwards Yahoo group, go ahead
      and join so we can get your account set up. That way you can begin
      nominating on May 1.

      I think that's it! If you have any questions, please post them here.
      RL is keeping me busy, but some of our other volunteers will watch
      this group for questions.

      Marta (MEFA Admin.)

      PS - If you've forgotten what stories are eligible and what aren't,
      here's a quick checklist. Eligible completed stories:

      - are about Middle-earth, Valinor, or some other creation of Tolkien
      - fit the General, Teen, or Mature rating described at
      http://mefawards.net/MEFA2007/index.php?page=FAQratingsguide
      - are posted where everyone can read them without logging in
      - if posted on more than one page, have a way to get from one page to
      the next
      - have not competed in the past as completed fics
      - (for series) do not have parts that have competed in the past

      Eligible WIPs have mostly the same requirements, but they must not
      have competed in the past at all.
    • Sandy R.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2008
        Hi Marta,

        I'm glad you sent this. I've been meaning to write and kept forgetting. I've stalled out with the "MEFAs for Dummies" for a few reasons.

        1 Dawn and I haven't seemed to work out staying in touch about it.
        2 I suddenly have my son's wedding coming up. The wedding has been known about for over a year, but the date has kept changing as the bride's father was diagnosed with leukemia last September. On the 6th of March they decided the wedding will be the 30th of March. Her Dad is stable right now but has surgery and a bone marrow transplant coming up soon, so this was "the" time.
        3 I realized that it will be hard to write without being able to see the windows/pages we need to be describing - and those aren't available yet; so I suddenly wasn't sure how to proceed.
        Let me know what our time frame is and if there will be a way for us to view the windows/pages ahead of time.

        I won't be able to do much with this until after the wedding, but that's soon so I should still be able to work on this the beginning of April.

        Look forward to hearing from you

        Pearl

        aure_enteluva <melayton@...> wrote: Hey guys,

      • Tanaqui
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
          Hi Pearl

          Thanks for letting us know what's going on with the "MEFAs for Dummies"
          text - don't worry about the lack of progress so far: Aranel and I still
          have plenty of coding to do!

          Last year's site is still available at
          http://www.mefawards.net/MEFA2007/ but we also should have some of the
          test version of the 2008 site (with new features) available by 1 April,
          and we can make sure you have the link for that.

          If you've still not been able to make much progress by 15 April at the
          latest, we'd appreciate it if you could let us know, so we have time to
          ask someone else.

          Otherwise, thanks for volunteering and I hope your son's wedding goes well!

          Tanaqui