MEFA Reviews for December 12, 2007 (Part 1)

  • Ann
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      Title: Spring after Winter · Author: annmarwalk · Times: Mid Third
      Age: 2851 - 3017 TA: Drabble · ID: 462
      Reviewer: Bodkin · 2007-12-11 07:41:40
      The enchantment of a growing rain - and Sam himself is earth, really,
      to go with air, fire and water. A wonderful wakening.

      Title: Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady · Author: Marta · Genres:
      Romance: Gondor · ID: 604
      Reviewer: Bodkin · 2007-12-11 07:49:44
      Clever Hurin! It's good to picture all those gallant warriors turning
      into chickens whenever there were suitable spouse-material around. And
      I can just see Boromir throwing nuts at courting couples - emotionally
      stunted, that man!! A perpetual teenager in the romance stakes. But
      Faramir has the courage to dance around Eowyn ... and, if he only
      thought about it, she would be unlikely to train just outside his
      window if she wasn't planning to offer him the opportunity to - er -
      move their acquaintance forward.

      Title: Making Acquaintance · Author: Bodkin · Times: Mid Third Age:
      2851 - 3017 TA · ID: 216
      Reviewer: Linda hoyland · 2007-12-11 07:52:24
      [spoilers]

      A delightful story in which Merry and Pippin meet Gandalf for the
      sirst time. The two young Hobbits are gathering nuts and afraid when a
      tall stranger appears, though as ever, Merry tries to be responsible.
      I especially enjoyed Gandalf's meeting with Pippin.

      Title: Escape · Author: Bodkin · Times: Mid Third Age: 2851 - 3017 TA
      · ID: 24
      Reviewer: Linda hoyland · 2007-12-11 07:58:41
      I enjoyed this look at what it is like for the unknown people fighting
      againts Sauron,beautifully written as is all this writer's work.A
      wounded young Ranger on the run from Orcs is helped by an Elf. The
      fact the characters are not named adds to the delightful aura of this
      story.

      Title: Point of View · Author: Tanaqui · Times: Fourth Age and Beyond:
      Drabble · ID: 750
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:23:08
      Yes, there might have been those within Gondor capable of making Bilbo
      and Frodo's tales into great epics, but who better to tell this story
      of triumph by average folks than the "Little People" themselves?

      Well, well told and the point well driven home.

      Title: Through the Generations · Author: Elemmire · Races: Hobbits:
      Vignette · ID: 821
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:25:32
      Oh, I hope Eric Carle would be impressed with this adaptation of his
      "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" with a definite Shire bent, as we see
      the caterpillar moving first throughout the Shire, and finally coming
      into it's own in the White Tree before Strider's Citadel. One wonders
      how the tale will be added to within Tol Eressea as Frodo and Sam tell
      it to those Elflings they meet?

      Very sweet.

      Title: Blades of the Downfallen West · Author: Tanaqui · Genres:
      Drama: Other Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 441
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:33:02
      Oh, how marvelous! Angmar saw the dagger from the Barrowdowns in
      Frodo's hands and disdained it, speaking an incantation intended to
      destroy it. But in the end it was one of its mates that helped see him
      brought down, and the songs and spells spoken, sung, and inscribed
      over the four blades were brought to fruition.

      Two paired drabbles to rejoice in.

      Title: Winds of Change · Author: Lady Bluejay · Genres: Romance: With
      Rohirrim · ID: 228
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:39:37
      Ah, our Eomer has to face so many changes as Eowyn prepares for a
      marriage to Faramir and the subsequent move to Gondor. But that's not
      the only change coming.

      A wonderful look at how the young King of Rohan comes to terms with
      his growing love for Lothiriel of Dol Amroth, filled with humor and
      honesty.

      Title: Comforting Silence · Author: Radbooks · Times: Fourth Age and
      Beyond: Gondor or Rohan · ID: 157
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:43:33
      Aragorn shows he need not fill the silence in order to express his own
      grief and compassion in the wake of Eowyn's death, and Faramir knows
      comfort.

      Gently and delicately told, and filled with gentle promise for easing
      of the spirit. Radbooks loves our Aragorn and Faramir.

      Title: Romance · Author: Greywing · Genres: Humor: Other Fixed-Length
      Ficlet · ID: 375
      Reviewer: phyloxena · 2007-12-11 08:43:53
      Short romance is best romance.

      Title: Graceful and Green · Author: Alawa · Genres: Drama: Ithilien ·
      ID: 62
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:47:01
      A most thoughtful depiction of the memorial the Rangers of Ithilien
      share for those they've lost, including Frodo and Sam in their number.

      Title: Three Things About Pippin · Author: grey_wonderer · Genres:
      Humor: Children · ID: 133
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:49:12
      Pippin's their little brother and a right pest, always into things and
      so full of mischief, intentional or not; but as their mother forces
      them to each list three things they like about Pippin, Pearl,
      Pimpernel, and Pervinca find that they DO love him in spite--and
      because--of himself.

      Very sweet and filled with the vagaries of loved children everywhere.

      Title: Observations · Author: grey_wonderer · Races: Hobbits: Children
      · ID: 204
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:52:23
      Ah, the literal minds of children, as Meriadoc Brandybuck sets himself
      to observe his father, seeking to know the real Saradoc.

      A marvelous tale of love and respect by those who are still too young
      to fully express it, perhaps.

      Title: A Dragon in Buckland · Author: Pearl Took · Genres: Mystery ·
      ID: 206
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:55:07
      Not all dragons are fearsome creatures, willing to kill and eat folk
      and steal all their treasures. Nay, one appears in Buckland during a
      visit by Pippin who appears intent on making certain all who do good
      jobs realize their efforts are appreciated.

      Marvelous look at how anonymous praise can strengthen the desire to do
      well. Our beloved Hobbits at their best!

      Title: If You Should Die Before I Wake · Author: PipMer · Genres:
      Drama: With Merry · ID: 277
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 08:56:29
      Another Cormallen story, and an excellent one at that, as Merry finds
      he must fight his own demons in order to appreciate Pippin's own
      struggle to heal and waken from healing sleep.

      Title: Temptation · Author: Linda hoyland · Times: Mid Third Age: 2851
      - 3017 TA: Other Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 419
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 09:21:27
      Ah, to find oneself being pressed to accept the services of a
      prostitute, and a fair one at that, when one knows there can be but
      one love in his life! Not a fair thing to do to the traveler from the
      north, perhaps, but understandable.

      I feel for the poor girl.

      Title: Mistaken · Author: Fawsley · Genres: Humor: Drabble · ID: 490
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 09:29:12
      Ah, giggles as one looks at what MIGHT HAVE BEEN had Gandalf been
      mistaken. Yes, a cup of tea is called for here.

      Excellently written humorous piece.

      Title: If You Could See What I Hear · Author: Cathleen · Races:
      Hobbits: Incomplete · ID: 488
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 09:32:24
      There are other beings hidden here and there within Middle Earth, one
      finds. When one finds itself charmed by little Pippin Took, who's
      taken a walk with his knitted pink pig, it's a remarkable danger. Poor
      Tulip--can she manage to spark Pippin into going home?

      A charming look at Pippin's childhood and how the Hollow Hills could
      have held danger for unwitting Hobbits.

      Title: Sent Unto Men · Author: Alassiel · Times: Fourth Age and Beyond
      · ID: 346
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 09:34:39
      Oh, I'm SO glad this was nominated! My favorite Tolkien's
      Arda/Christmas story ever! Earendil's current mission is to appear
      over a particular town....

      Very powerful and filled with hope and the light we expect Earendil to
      herald.

      Title: The Third Eagle · Author: Imhiriel · Times: Late Third Age:
      3018-3022 TA: General Drabble · ID: 630
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-12-11 09:57:58
      Ah, the grief of having come so far into the devastation of Orodruin
      to find that there were only two who needed rescuing. A marvelous
      adaptation of that movie moment. I'm always glad that apparently
      Smeagol was also intended to be rescued as well.

      Well done, Imhiriel.

      Title: Requesting Mercy · Author: Larner · Genres: Drama: The
      Fellowship · ID: 681
      Reviewer: Isabeau of Greenlea · 2007-12-11 11:33:54
      A very powerful short story which takes place after Weathertop, as
      Strider tries to get Frodo to Rivendell. Frodo, finding out the fate
      that awaits him if the Morgul-shard reaches its destination, asks Sam
      for a promise that shakes him to his soul. Told from the viewpoints of
      Sam and Aragorn, both characters are well done. Merry and Pippin are
      peripheral here-Frodo already knows who the rock he leans on is.

      Title: The Weregild · Author: tyellas · Races: Dwarves · ID: 522
      Reviewer: geek_chick · 2007-12-11 15:05:19
      [Contains Spoilers]

      This was an excellent story! The choice of subject matter, of how
      Sauron bestowed one of the Rings of Power to a Dwarven king, was very
      interesting and not something I've seen before.

      You do an excellent job of capturing the culture and personality of
      the Dwarves in this story: their distrust for other races (the
      hand-gesture conversation was an excellent example), their love of
      treasure, and their honor in not accepting the spoils of war. Bolin
      and Nili's examination of the first two chests was interesting and the
      explanation that the Elves of Eregion would have crafted some items in
      a Dwarven style is feasible.

      I like how Sauron created this Ring of Power to perfectly mimic the
      Dwarves' own style – even a Dwarven king did not realize it had been
      created by Sauron. This seems like a very feasible way for Sauron to
      get the suspicious Dwarves to accept his gift. It also shows Sauron's
      mastery of his craft – as a Maia it's reasonable that he could be so
      talented.

      Finally, the last paragraph, where Bolin "steals" a bar of gold that
      he had previously rejected, perfectly illustrates the ring's subtle
      influence. Overall, an excellent story that showcases both the
      Dwarves' culture and Sauron's manipulative nature!

      Title: The Bearing of Burdens · Author: Larner · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: Gondor · ID: 792
      Reviewer: White Gull · 2007-12-11 18:29:53
      Relief indeed to rest, truly rest, and lay aside the burden for a
      time. That's why I love Faramir so much, and missed him so badly in
      the films.

      WG

      Title: A Pirate's Life for Me! · Author: Raksha the Demon · Races:
      Men: Other Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 438
      Reviewer: stefaniab · 2007-12-12 02:04:07
      Raksha's gentle tale paints a deightful picture of two generations of
      Gondorian children playing at pirates. Perhaps her point is to show
      how for children, real and fictional, playing at bad guys helps them
      to learn about and cope with the actual horror such characters could
      rain upon their unsuspecting lives? Perhaps her aim is to give us a
      little background on the deadly Corsairs of Umbar who pillaged
      Gondor's shores? But ultimately, "A Pirate's Life for Me" is a lively
      vignette of children playing with adults and the myths and games that
      get handed down in the long life of a culture.

      Title: Some Dark Place · Author: Raksha the Demon · Genres: Adventure:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 226
      Reviewer: stefaniab · 2007-12-12 02:16:55
      Raksha continues to show enormous skill in placing lots of drama into
      few words, as evidenced in "Some Dark Place." This is a short, action
      oriented tale of young Aragorn's first encounter with the Nazgul on
      Weathertop, foreshadowing his battle during Frodo's famous Nazgul
      encounter decades later. I'm glad to see that Raksha is continuing her
      examination into Aragorn's point-of-view. I was also glad that she
      showed the youthful Dunadan Chieftain in a moment of doubt and fear.