Question from a first-time participant

  • linaewen0
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18 4:22 PM
      I've been searching the FAQ's for an answer to a question, and I'm not
      finding it, so here I am.

      In looking at the stories nominated for voting, I see in the Actions
      column that there are several choices to click on, being Skip, Wait and
      Enter New Review. Enter New Review is self-explanatory, but I am
      wondering what Skip and Wait are for and when should I use them, if
      ever? I am afraid to try them, for fear I will nix my option for
      entering a review on a story. ;-)

      Thanks for the help!

      Margaret/Linaewen

    • Liz Warren
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18 4:35 PM
        Hi Linaewen

        Shamelessly borrowing from Rhapsody's excellent answer from last year:

        Skip and Wish are nifty features to make reading lists for yourself. For
        example, if you see a story that appeals to you, you can click on Wish,
        and it will be added to your wish-list. Then, if you go to the Browse
        Nominated Stories page and select "Wish" in the drop down for Review
        Status on the filter, you can see all the stories you added to your
        wish-list.

        But if you see stories that don't appeal to you, you can click on skip
        and the stories will "disappear" from the lists you see on the Browse
        Nominated Stories page. You can still see those stories (and still
        review them) by selecting "Skip" in the drop down for Review Status on
        the filter.

        HTH

        Tanaqui

        (Hmm, I definitely think we need a FAQs for reviewers....)

        linaewen0 wrote:

        > I've been searching the FAQ's for an answer to a question, and I'm
        > not finding it, so here I am.
        >
        > In looking at the stories nominated for voting, I see in the Actions
        > column that there are several choices to click on, being Skip, Wait
        > and Enter New Review. Enter New Review is self-explanatory, but I am
        > wondering what Skip and Wait are for and when should I use them, if
        > ever? I am afraid to try them, for fear I will nix my option for
        > entering a review on a story. ;-)
        >
        > Thanks for the help!
        >
        > Margaret/Linaewen
      • Arthur Boccaccio
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18 4:45 PM
          Ah, another newbie. You could ask your liaison about this (that's what I
          ended up doing) but here are the explanations I was given:

          *LIST:* You can put stories you're interested in reviewing in a Wish List by
          clicking on the blue word WISH on the right side of the screen in each
          story. Later you can find those stories again by going to the top of the
          page and clicking on the SHOW FILTER link. Pull down the box that says
          'Review Status' and select WISH and hit Display Selected Nominations. All
          of the stories you've saved in your Wish List will come up.

          *SKIP:* You use it to eliminate stories that you aren't interested in
          reading from your list. For example, there are about 370 stories in the
          database right now and about 56 of them are fixed-length ficlets. I know
          because I did a search for those and that's how many popped up. I'm not
          fond of drabbles and probably won't read many of those. I will read ones
          that my friends wrote .... So, I went down that list and clicked skip on
          all of the true drabbles and any other short story there (those are all less
          than 500 words) that didn't appeal to me. I probably eliminated about 35
          stories. Now, the next time I go in to look at the list of stories, those
          stories won't show up on my list. I can go and look at those later by using
          the filter, but I doubt I'll need to. When I have some free time - HA -
          I'll go in and get rid of a bunch of other stories that I know I won't
          read.

          I hope this will help. I know it helped me tremendously. I have suggested
          that MEFA.admin create a NEWBIE FAQ with an explanation of all the buttons
          and such. It would make life easier for those of us who are first time
          nominees.

          Arthur/Fiondil
          --
          *Auta i l�m�! Ut�lie'n aur�! �* Battle Cry of the Noldor at the *Dagor
          Nirnaeth Arnediad

          Aur� entuluva! � *Battle Cry of H�rin at the *Dagor Nirnath Arnediad

          Ut�lie'n Estel � *Hope hath come