Nominations to Open in a Few Hours

  • aure_enteluva
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007

      Nominations will open in a few hours at June 1, 12:00:01 AM (GMT).
      Nominations will stay open until July 15, 11:59:59 PM (GMT). For
      reference, at the time I write this it's May 31, 8:02:58 PM (GMT).

      Every member of the MEFAwards Yahoo group can nominate twenty pieces,
      either by themselves or someone else. You can nominate a story by
      going to http://www.mefawards.net/ and clicking on "MEFA 2007". If
      you're not a member and want to nominate please join this group so we
      can give you nominating privileges.

      Your password for this site might be different from your Yahoo/LJ
      password. It's the same as your password in 2006. If you're not sure
      what your log-in information is, you can get it emailed to you at
      http://mefawards.net/mefa2007/index.php?page=sendPassword, or you can
      email the admins at mefasupport@....

      When you nominate a story you'll need a few things:

      --- the title of a story
      --- the author of the story
      --- the author's email address
      --- the URL (including "http://") where the story can be read.

      When choosing your URL, make sure:

      1. that the URL is actually correct. If you mistype it, THE
      NOMINATION WILL BE WITHDRAWN and you won't be allowed to replace it.
      2. that readers don't have to log in to read the story. Ditto about
      the nomination being withdrawn for this.
      3. if the story has more than one part on different pages, that
      there's an easy way to get to the later pages. Most stories do this by
      having previous/next links on each page, or by having an index page
      with a link to each part. Again, if there's no way to get to the
      subsequent parts, your story gets withdrawn.

      Before you nominate, make sure it wasn't nominated before. Each story
      can compete once as a WIP and once as a finished piece. You can find a
      list of stories nominated in previous years at

      http://www.mefawards.net/mefa2007/index.php?page=FAQprevnomd

      Oh, a final note to anyone who helped test the site: if you nominated
      a story to help test the site and want it to be nominated "for real",
      you'll need to nominate it after June 1. Thanks for all of your help
      with that, guys.

      *******

      There is one additional thing I want to emphasize. This is for the
      people who are authors and have their stories nominated. When you're
      nominated, and you fill out the form providing information about your
      story, be careful about what you select as your first, second, and
      third category choices. Your story can be placed in any of these main
      categories. We'll do our best to put it in your first choice and (if
      that's not possible) in your second choice, so PLEASE be careful with
      what you select as your first, your second, and your third choice.
      After stories are sorted into categories and subcategories it's very
      difficult to move them around. In previous years I've tried to do this
      where possible; this year, we'll only move stories if the volunteers
      make a mistake and place your story in a category or subcategory you
      didn't select.

      On a similar note, be careful what you select as answers under the
      sub-category section. Whatever you select as settings, characters for
      categorization, event or time period, or sub-genre, your story can be
      placed in a subcategory for those things. Don't mark that your story
      is set in Rohan if you don't want it competing against other stories
      set in the same place. (If you'd like to select a character, etc., but
      don't see it listed, ask your liaison to add it for you.)

      The one exception is the longer characters list (*not* characters for
      categorization; I'm talking about the one where you can choose up to
      seven characters). This longer list is for the benefit of readers.
      Only the shorter "characters for categorization" list will be used to
      set up categories.

      I think that's about it! Happy nominating, and best of luck. :^)

      Marta
    • Barbara Rich
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2007
        I've got a list of nominations, and I've checked the URLs on them, but I
        have one author for whom I cannot find a complete email addy. She's already
        a member at MEFA, but when I tapped into the member list, it does not show
        the entire email address. Can you use the partial address I have?

        Dreamflower
        (Barbara)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007

          Just want to clear up a few things. I messed up a few URLs.

          > Every member of the MEFAwards Yahoo group can nominate twenty
          > pieces, either by themselves or someone else. You can
          > nominate a story by going to http://www.mefawards.net/
          > <http://www.mefawards.net/> and clicking on "MEFA 2007".

          You will see "MEFA 2007" when nominations open up in about 45 minutes. If
          you go there right now you won't see the "MEFA 2007", but it should be there
          as soon as nominations open.

          I also made a mistake in these URLs. Anywhere you see mefa2007, beginning at
          midnight GMT tonight, you'll need to type MEFA2007 instead for them to work.
          So

          > Your password for this site might be different from your
          > Yahoo/LJ password. It's the same as your password in 2006. If
          > you're not sure what your log-in information is, you can get
          > it emailed to you at
          > http://mefawards.net/mefa2007/index.php?page=sendPassword,
          > <http://mefawards.net/mefa2007/index.php?page=sendPassword,>

          That should be http://mefawards.net/MEFA2007/index.php?page=sendPassword

          and
          > Before you nominate, make sure it wasn't nominated before.
          > Each story can compete once as a WIP and once as a finished
          > piece. You can find a list of stories nominated in previous years at
          >
          > http://www.mefawards.net/mefa2007/index.php?page=FAQprevnomd

          That should be http://www.mefawards.net/MEFA2007/index.php?page=FAQprevnomd

          I'm sorry for any confusion. If you have a hard time finding somehting, just
          post here and we'll straighten it out together.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2007
            Hi Barbara,

            If they're already in the "system", then you can nominate them without their
            email address. That means if someone nominates another story by them, or if
            they're a member of this Yahoo group, then we already have their email
            address. You only need to provide it if they're not already a member.

            What's the author? I'll check whether you'll need her email address or not.

          • Barbara Rich
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2007
              On 5/31/07, Marta <melayton@...> wrote:

              > Hi Barbara,
              >
              > If they're already in the "system", then you can nominate them without
              > their
              > email address. That means if someone nominates another story by them, or
              > if
              > they're a member of this Yahoo group, then we already have their email
              > address. You only need to provide it if they're not already a member.
              >
              > What's the author? I'll check whether you'll need her email address or
              > not.

              Baggins Babe
              DF

              Marta

              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2007
                Hi Barbara,

                > Baggins Babe

                Okay, I checked. She had some stories nominated back in 2005. Since a lot of
                the author emails we had were so old, I decided to get new email addresses
                for every author nominated this year who wasn't also a MEFAwards member.

                I could give you her email address from 2005, but I'd prefer it if there's
                any way you could get an up-to-date email address for her. In the past when
                I've needed an author's email, I've left comments at one of their more
                recent stories saying I'd like to nominate them for an award but need their
                email address to do so, so could they please email me at [my email address].

                If that doesn't work and you want to go ahead and nominate her with the old
                address let me know and I'll email it for you. I should warn you, though,
                that if we never hear back from her you'll lose the nomination.

                > DF

                I'm sorry... Is this another author you want me to look into? I don't
                recognize her.

                Marta
              • GamgeeFest
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2007
                  Barbara, I have an email for Baggins Babe from a story review I got
                  from her recently. I'll send it to you privately.

                  GamgeeFest :)