Re: [MEFAwards] Calling Volunteers

  • nau tika
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
      Right now would be a perfect time for me to do something like this, but it wont last. I've worked on websites in Frontpage and Homestead (respectively) and have one I'm trying to learn on 50megs.com. I'd love the extra experience, but my Real Life is pretty unpredictable.
      Sign me up as a backup, maybe?

      nautika

      aure_enteluva <melayton@...> wrote:
      Hey guys,

      I was looking at my calendar this morning and it hit me how close we
      are to the beginning of March. That may seem like a no-brainer to a
      lot of people (and it is), but with an awards that last as long to run
      as the Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards, it's not too early to start
      thinking about the 2007 MEFAs. So where are we, and what can you do to
      help move us further along?

      We've made pretty good progress toward getting the 2007 awards
      started. We've finished the post mortem for the 2006 awards and
      decided on some changes that I outlined here:
      postmortem we decided on several technical changes, some of which have
      already been made.

      That brings me to the first way one (or some) of you can help. The
      awards need someone to help with the website. There are some technical
      changes that still need to be made for 2007. Also, the person (or
      people) who help with this would do general website upkeep throughout
      the year and would help solve any technical problems members might
      have. If more than one person is interested this job could maybe be
      split up so there's less to do.

      If you're interested in helping with the website you'd need to be
      fairly good with computers, but it's really not as hard as you might
      think. Most of what the website involves is very learnable. I'm far
      from a technical guru and I've been told I could do this if I had the
      time. I'm just too busy with other parts of the awards to give the
      website the attention it needs, so I'm hoping someone will step up and
      help with this. You'd be working with me pretty closely, and it's a
      neat way to give something back to the fandom as well as develop your
      technical skills.

      We'll also need all of the usual "insufficiently reluctant" folks to
      help out. The most common ways to help out are as a promoter or an
      author liaison. These people do pretty much what their titles suggest.
      Promoters promote the awards at groups they're a member of. I'll
      occasionally send you an official announcement that I'd like made at
      your groups, and you can pass on any posts I make here that you think
      your group might be interested in. You'd also pass along any questions
      people have so I or someone else who works with the awards can answer
      it. This isn't very time-intensive but it does require that you be
      available pretty much until the end of the awards.

      Liaisons work with the authors who have been nominated. You make sure
      stories are eligible to compete, work with the author to get the
      necessary information and okays from them, and generally answer any
      questions. You'd need to be pretty regularly available from when
      nominations open through the week after they close. I don't have exact
      dates yet, but nominations will last six weeks, hopefully beginning
      sometime in April.

      Does any of this seem like something you'd like to do? If so, email me
      at mefasupport(at)gmail(dot)com or post here. There are loads of other
      ways you can help out, so if you just want to help I can always find a
      special project I'd like done. Drop me a line and we'll work something
      out.

      Cheers,
      Marta

      nautika, Keeper of Aragorn's Youth and Boromir's Calm Acceptance of Cave Trolls
      www.groups.yahoo.com/group/lotrprompts
      Owner, LOTR Prompt Fics group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mc_Finished_Fic
      Co-Moderator, MC Finished Fics Group

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007

        Hi Cathleen,

        Great. I'm glad you still want to help. Do you want to promote the MEFAs at
        any certain groups?

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
          Hi Nautika,

          Thanks for volunteering. Someone volunteered before you did but I will
          certainly keep you in mind. Sometimes we have special projects that you
          might find interesting/challenging - if those come up I may drop you a line
          to see if you have the time.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
            Hi Aranel,

            Thank you for volunteering - if we can work it out I'd really appreciate
            your help.

            Will email you more details privately.

          • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
              Hi Marta,

              I'll promote the Awards again this year of course, on my Recs Page and my LJ and perhaps a couple of Yahoo Groups too, if needed.

              I would also like to get more involved this time around and be an author liasion.

              Cheers,

              Mari

              Marigold's Red Book
              http://marigold.tolkienshire.com

              Marigold's Recommendations Page
              http://www.geocities.com/marigoldsrecommendations/

              Marigold's Live Journal
              http://www.livejournal.com/users/marigoldg/

              There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.

              Sam, in Mordor, RoTK

            • Nancy Brooke
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
                That time again already??!!

                Count me in as an Author Liaison again. I enjoyed it.

                --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "aure_enteluva" <melayton@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > Liaisons work with the authors who have been nominated. You make
                sure
                > stories are eligible to compete, work with the author to get the
                > necessary information and okays from them, and generally answer any
                > questions. You'd need to be pretty regularly available from when
                > nominations open through the week after they close. I don't have
                exact
                > dates yet, but nominations will last six weeks, hopefully beginning
                > sometime in April.
                >
                > Does any of this seem like something you'd like to do? If so, email
                me
                > at mefasupport(at)gmail(dot)com or post here. There are loads of
                other
                > ways you can help out, so if you just want to help I can always
                find a
                > special project I'd like done. Drop me a line and we'll work

              • Kathy
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
                  Hi Marta,

                  I can be a liaison and promote at Stories of Arda again.

                  Kathy/Inkling

                • LizaLlinos@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
                    In a message dated 27/02/2007 16:19:42 GMT Standard Time, melayton@...
                    writes:

                    Does any of this seem like something you'd like to do? If so, email me
                    at mefasupport(at meat mefasupport(<WBR>at)gmail(<WBR>dot)com or p
                    ways you can help out, so if you just want to help I can always find a
                    special project I'd like done. Drop me a line and we'll work something
                    out.

                    I'm happy to help in any capacity. Just ask.

                    Liza (Llinos)

                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/knittedmerry/
                    http://www.livejournal.com/users/llinos/
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
                      Hi Nancy,

                      > That time again already??!!

                      I know! It seems too soon. And we're not quite there, but it's not too early
                      to be thinking about it.

                      > Count me in as an Author Liaison again. I enjoyed it.

                      Will do. I'll get in touch when we're actually ready to open for
                      nominations.

                      Marta
                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 27, 2007
                        Hi Marta,

                        I can be a promoter again for the Aragornangst group.

                        Chris
                      • JunoMagic
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                          --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "aure_enteluva" <melayton@...> wrote:

                          > Hey guys,
                          >
                          > I was looking at my calendar this morning and it hit me how close we
                          > are to the beginning of March. That may seem like a no-brainer to a
                          > lot of people (and it is), but with an awards that last as long to run
                          > as the Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards, it's not too early to start
                          > thinking about the 2007 MEFAs. So where are we, and what can you do to
                          > help move us further along?

                          I'd be happy to be your promoter at TFF and at the lj workshop "There
                          and Back Again".

                          Cheers,
                          Juno
                        • dwimmer_laik
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                            I can promote at HASA and HA.

                            Dwim
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                              Hi Juno,

                              > I'd be happy to be your promoter at TFF and at the lj
                              > workshop "There and Back Again".

                              Excellent. I've marked you down, and you'll be hearing from me when I have
                              announcements that need to be made.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                                Hi Dwim,

                                > I can promote at HASA and HA.

                                Thanks, you're recorded as such. I'll email you when I need an announcement
                                made.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                                  Hi Liza,

                                  > Does any of this seem like something you'd like to do? If so,
                                  > email me at mefasupport(at meat
                                  > mefasupport(<WBR>at)gmail(<WBR>dot)com or p ways you can help
                                  > out, so if you just want to help I can always find a special
                                  > project I'd like done. Drop me a line and we'll work something out.
                                  >
                                  > I'm happy to help in any capacity. Just ask.

                                  Thanks for being so willing to help. I appreciate it, and your patience as I

                                  I think we have the technical stuff under control - for the moment! - but we
                                  may need more help in the future. I'll certainly keep you in mind. Also,
                                  I've marked you down as a liaison. I'll get in touch with you a week or so
                                  before we open up nominations with more details about that.

                                  I'd also love to have your help as a promoter. The way that works is people
                                  agree to make MEFA announcements at specific groups they're apart of. I'd
                                  send you an announcement I wanted made and you'd post it. You could also
                                  make other announcements if you think your group would benefit from them.

                                  Is there a specific group you'd like to make announcements at?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 28, 2007
                                    Hi Mari,

                                    Thanks for volunteering. I would love to have you announce for the awards at
                                    your recs page and LJ because I know quite a lot of authors and readers read
                                    there. And I'm all for announcing at the Yahoo groups, too. Can you tell me
                                    which ones? That way I can make sure two people don't make announcements
                                    there.

                                    And I think you would be a very good liaison, and would love your help there
                                    as well.

                                    I am making a list of all the people interested in helping, and you are now
                                    on it. I will email all the promoters when I have my first announcement, and
                                    also I will email all the liaisons a week or so before we open nominations.

                                    Thanks,

                                  • Cathleen
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                                      ---
                                      Marta, yes I would like to promote on my own group "LOTR Community"
                                      and I may know of some others. Is that ok?

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 2, 2007
                                        Hi Cathleen,

                                        > Marta, yes I would like to promote on my own group "LOTR Community"
                                        > and I may know of some others. Is that ok?

                                        Excellent, thanks. If you don't mind, let me know before you promote to
                                        other groups (and which ones). I don't want to have two people promoting to
                                        the same group, you know?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Marta
                                      • Cathleen
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 20, 2007
                                          ---
                                          Marta, how soon will we start promoting, etc?
                                          Cathleen

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 20, 2007
                                            I'll be willing to promote again on Councils of Elrond and
                                            Reading4TheBlind.
                                            Bonnie L. Sherrell
                                            Teacher at Large

                                            "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

                                            "Don't go where I can't follow."

                                            I mourn for this nation.
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 20, 2007

                                              Hi Cathleen,

                                              The answer is (unfortunately!) "It depends". Before the awards can start we
                                              need to make a few changes to the website. And the person helping to make
                                              the changes is still finding her way around the site. That makes it hard to
                                              estimate how long things will take.

                                              But never fear: we are making progress. When we get closer to having the
                                              website ready, I'll contact you and the other promoters about announcing the
                                              start of the awards.

                                              Sorry I can't give you a straightforward date! I have an idea in my head of
                                              when I'd *like* for the 2007 awards to begin, but I'm not sure how realistic
                                              it is since I'm not the one working on the site. So I think I'd better keep
                                              it to myself. ;-)

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 21, 2007

                                                Thanks Bonnie! I've marked you down as a promoter and will be in touch when
                                                we get started.