RE: [MEFAwards] Musing aloud... a question

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 27, 2006
      Hi Ainae,

      > Hi, all! Remember me? Ainaechoiriel who founded the MEFAs had
      > then apparently sailed West and left this land during the
      > second year! Or was it 3rd? I get confused.

      We have been going on for three years now: 2004, 2005, and now 2006. (Wow,
      didn't realize it was that many until I counted...) You had to pull out in
      the middle of 2005, so it was the second year. Which again seems so much
      longer than a year ago. I guess time can fly when you're enjoying yourself.

      > Well, I must be a Teleri because I plan on sailing back to
      > some degree. I'm not taking over, just getting involved
      > again. Don't know how far my involvement can go, since we'll
      > be trying to sell our house, then moving, then starting the
      > adoption process, then bringing adopted child home, etc.
      > But I've found myself finding some time and energy for my old
      > hobbies that got swept aside by my courtship and marriage.

      I am glad to hear from you, and that things seem to be doing well. It sounds
      like you have a lot on your plate, so do take things slowly. But by all
      means write and nominate and vote next year, and even get involved as a
      liaison or categorizer if you like. You're always welcome.

      Though I have to say I'm relieved that you don't want to take over - I love
      these awards, and I think I might have to fight you for that. ;-) I've
      simply invested too much work and grown too attached to them.

      > Thus I was perusing the list today and found this post:
      >
      > _____
      >
      > Lovely to see the thousands of reviews at the site. So much
      > good reading to look forward to (I mean the stories, of
      > course, that I haven't yet looked at, but the reviews I've
      > seen have convinced me to add them to my "want to read" list).
      >
      > Just spent a couple of hours writing author reviews. Did you
      > know there are only 50 finalized author reviews so far? Seems
      > as if there ought to be more. Do people just prefer to write
      > reviews about individual stories and not record their
      > cumulative impressions of the authors they've been reading?
      > Or am I misunderstanding something?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Lin
      >
      > Lin, author have always got less reviews than their stories,
      > even in the awards group that inspired this one and has run
      > since 1995 or 1996.
      > Many
      > find it harder to write an author review. Especially when an
      > author is in a lot of categories. We should want to see more,
      > but I would never worry too much if we get nearly as many as
      > the story reviews. It would be great if we did, but don't
      > worry if we don't. Such is the way of things.

      Well, voting's been over now for over a month. As it turns out there were
      5,511 story reviews and 941 author reviews - that's about 85% story votes
      and 15% author votes. In 2005 there were 6,023 story reviews and 678 author
      reviews, giving us about a 90%/10% split. That means that there were
      significantly more author reviews this year than last year. But it's still a
      small portion.

      I do think it's amazing that the number of author reviews and story reviews
      stayed about the same as last year, when we had nearly double the stories
      that we had this year. There are some truly commited (and perhaps commitable
      ;-P) reviewers out there.

      Author reviews are a topic on the agenda of topics we're discussing in the
      post-mortem . We're making good progress on that, it's just happening over
      at the mefa-discussions Yahoo group rather than here. There seems to be a
      lot of confusion about them, and we'll talk about how we can best handle
      them. But I think Ainae's right, we'll always have less author reviews than
      story reviews, no matter what we do.

      Marta
    • raksha022002
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        Have I missed it, or is it still going on, and if so, where?

        RAKSHA
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          Apparently the post-mortem is going on on the other list, and I'm not a
          member of that list, either. Marta, would you let us know the
          subscriber information regarding the other list? Thanks.
          Bonnie L. Sherrell
          Teacher at Large

          "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

          "Don't go where I can't follow."

          I mourn for this nation.
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            To all those who are interested in joining in, please go to

            and become a member. We are currently discussing fixed word length stories.

            For all those who do not know, we moved the post mortem to this new group so as not to interfere with official MEFA stuff that goes on here.

            For anyone who is interested in helping us decide how to run the 2007 MEFAs and effect changes that will impact upon the awards for years to come!

            Naresha.

            ~One forgives for as long as one loves.~

            AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
            Personal LJ: http://nareshaninya.livejournal.com Writing LJ: http://writingsofresha.livejourna.com
            My Website! http://theinnermuse.freespaces.com
            http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                Hello Raksha, Larner, and everyone else,

                I am sorry if anyone feels "boxed out" of the post-mortem. That wasn't
                at all my intention.

                , we have been carrying out the post-mortem at the Yahoo group
                "mefa-discussion". The reason for this is that in the past some
                members of this group have felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of
                posts when they just wanted to participate in the awards, not deal
                with all of the policy decisions. So at some point during the 2006
                awards I made the decision to reserve this list for those policy
                discussions (which would definitely include the post mortem!), and
                reserve this list for making official announcements and also giving
                people a place to ask how to do things.

                The post mortem is still going on, and you or anyone else is still
                welcome to join in. If you are not a member of the group please join
                at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mefa-discussion/, or email me at
                mefasupport(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll send you an invitation.