RE: [MEFAwards] Changed Links, Voting Deadline

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006

      Hi Trina,

      Since the MEFAs are a contest, you can only vote on those stories that were
      nominated. Nominations happened back in the spring. Each member of this
      group could nominate up to twenty pieces, either by themselves or someone
      else. The author did not themselves have to be a member of this Yahoo group,
      but the person doing the nominating did.

      Now any one with voting privileges (that's any member of this group as well
      as any author who was nominated back in the spring) can vote over at our
      voting website, http://www.mefawards.net/MEFA2006/ . Here's how it works.

      First go over to http://www.mefawards.net/MEFA2006/ . Log in (I'm resending
      your name and password privately in case you don't have it anymore). Once
      logged in click on the "Browse Nominated Stories" link.

      From here you can see all the stories that were nominated. They come in all
      shapes and sizes -- essays, drabbles, poems, WIPs, completed stories of all
      lengths. Exactly what the story is, is given in the story information under
      each title. Find one you think is interesting.

      If you haven't already read it, click on the title. This will open up the
      story in a new window. When you're done reading close the window. (Most of
      the time you can do this by typing w while holding down the apple key on a
      Mac, or by hitting F4 while holding down the ALT key on a PC.)

      Okay, so now you've read the story and should be looking at the same page
      you saw when you clciked on the "Browse Nominated Stories" link. Look over
      in the right column. You should see two links: one says enter a review and
      another says enter an author review. Click the "Enter New Review" link.

      This will open up a new window. Give your vote a status: draft is not
      counted unless you change it to something else; hidden is not shown to other
      people until the end of voting on 11/20 but you can still edit it until that
      point; final is visible right now and but you can't edit it after you submit
      it.

      Then scroll down. Type in what you want your review to say. This should be a
      comment about the story. The longer the review the more points it gets, up
      to a maximum of ten. Make sure you surround any quotes in [square brackets],
      as those don't count. And click the "Preview Review" button when you've
      typed all you want to.

      The page will reload. You will see what your review looks like, and how many
      points it will give the author. Assuming you remembered to put a closing
      bracket ] at the end of any quote you should also see a "Save Validated
      Review" button. When you're ready to cast your vote click that.

      The page should reload, and you'll see the page you saw when you first
      logged in, but at the top of the page should be a green-and-yellow bar
      telling you your review has been saved. You can close that window and you'll
      be back at the list of stories you can vote for.

      That's a bit complicated, I know, but it's a lot easier to do it than
      explain it. Anyway, to answer your basic question: you can only vote for
      stories that have been nominated. Some of those authors are members of this
      group, and some aren't. Does that make sense?

      If you're confused you can email me privately. I'll be glad to help you as
      much as you need.

      Marta
    • Imhiriel
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
        Oops, I sent this accidentally to the wrong list - sorry!

        Posted by: "aure_enteluva" melayton@... aure_enteluva
        >Also, Meckinock's WIP piece "A Matter of Honor" is now completed.
        > Congratulations! So I have moved it from the "Incomplete" subcategory
        > to the "General" subcategory of the "Cross-Cultural" main category.

        Nilmandra's "History Lessons: The Third Age" is now complete also. I know that
        it had been accidentally in a "complete" category when it was still a WiP - so
        now you will have to move it back again *g*.

        >Oh, and one last thing: someone asked when voting ends. The last day
        > of voting is November 20. That means you have until 11:59 on November
        > 20, as the time is displayed by the site at the bottom of each page.
        > For reference right now the site time is 2006-10-15 02:55:43 GMT.

        This is good to know - thanks for the reminder.

        Imhiriel
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
          Hi Imhiriel,

          > Oops, I sent this accidentally to the wrong list - sorry!

          I bet they were surprised!

          > >Also, Meckinock's WIP piece "A Matter of Honor" is now completed.
          > > Congratulations! So I have moved it from the "Incomplete"
          > subcategory
          > >to the "General" subcategory of the "Cross-Cultural" main category.
          >
          > Nilmandra's "History Lessons: The Third Age" is now complete
          > also. I know that it had been accidentally in a "complete"
          > category when it was still a WiP - so now you will have to
          > move it back again *g*.

          *snicker* Yes, that one has moved around a fair amount. The good thing is we
          know there's a sub-category with completed stories where it will fit,
          because it was already in one at one point.

          I've emailed her because I need word from her before I move it. But thanks
          for the heads-up: I wouldn't have known to ask her if you hadn't said
          anything. When she gets back to me I'll move the story to a subcat with
          completed story.