Reviews for 13 Sept - Part 2

  • Rhapsody
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2006
      Title: Mine · Author: EdorasLass · Genres: Humor: Children · ID: 66
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-10 22:14:48
      Cute!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Book Learning · Author: Branwyn · Genres: Romance: Incomplete ·
      ID: 910
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-08-10 23:01:21
      This is one of the best Faramir/Eowyn romance stories I have ever read;
      and I have read most of them. It is certainly one of the most
      sensitively told, beautifully, honestly and realistically written
      Faramir/Eowyn stories I have ever read. And the touches of humor,
      comparatively rare in the stories of Gondor's most angsty young couples,
      are delightful.

      The story chronicles the course of a not uncommon difficulty among
      newlyweds, occurring when Faramir and Eowyn have been married a month.
      They love each other and are happily adjusting to life as a married
      couple. But there's one problem - they are both woefully ignorant about
      sex, don't know if they are doing right by the other, and of course,
      being raised in a culture substantially different from our own, would
      not think to discuss it frankly between themselves. And they don't have
      relatives from whom they could comfortably seek guidance (Faramir thinks
      of his uncle, but Imrahil is back in Dol Amroth).

      Fanfiction writers still debate, and differ, in their perception of
      Dunedain sexuality, whether Aragorn, or Faramir, or others, would have
      been sexually experienced when they married. Branwyn makes a good and
      plausible case as to why Faramir has had only minimal sexual experience,
      and in his own words is [green as a newly-cut stave of wood] when he
      comes to his wedding bed. The flashback to the wedding night is
      wonderfully told, elegant, natural and sympathetic to the couple's
      earnestness and nervousness - what sex there is is explicit, but not
      very graphic. Faramir's view of his new bride as [small and soft] is
      particularly sweet, considering that Tolkien painted Eowyn as a tall
      steely flower, but it's quite touching and reveals Faramir's own
      self-confidence and inner strength, as well as his own physical height
      and power. In the course of the story, he also thinks of her as [strong,
      clever]; it is clear that he feels respect as well as tenderness and
      love for her.

      Faramir and Eowyn each realize that their knowledge of sex is deficient,
      and set out separately to remedy the gaps in their education. Branwyn
      writes the two married lovers as essentially strong, proactive people -
      though faced with a problem that is new to their experience, they do
      their best to solve it on their own, rather than sitting around and
      brooding over it.

      While I love the characterisation of Faramir, who is shown both as a
      noble and generous-hearted man trying to fulfill both his duties as a
      Steward and a husband (and in this story, he is definitely more obsessed
      with his husbandly duties than the charges of his office), it is Eowyn
      who particularly shines here. I have rarely seen her so well-written as
      an intelligent, strong-minded young woman and enjoying her new life as
      the Steward's bride in Minas Tirith. There is also an appealing
      poignancy to her quest, the extent of the loneliness of Eowyn's youth
      and young womanhood in Edoras is made quietly, subtly obvious.

      The way that Faramir and Eowyn find the knowledge they seek is
      skillfully written; with moments of quite brilliant humor as well as
      poignancy. The third chapter had me literally laughing so hard I cried.

      I am looking forward to seeing how Faramir and Eowyn put the information
      they've found to good and practical use.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Until the Stars Are All Alight · Author: Kenaz · Races: Men:
      Featuring Aragorn · ID: 148
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-08-10 23:59:28
      This story has a lot to recommend it, but I think the thing that jumps
      out at me is the way that it is not just about either Aragorn or
      Halbarad. At the beginning I thought it would be an Aragorn-centric fic,
      but the authors doesn't take that easy road and makes it just about
      Halbarad's background. I also noticed that Halbarad is not *that* much
      older than Aragorn. Ten years for a Dunedain isn't too great a span, and
      the difference between the two men tell us a lot about life in Eriador.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Unspeakable · Author: White Gull · Genres: Romance: Poetry · ID: 822
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-08-11 00:02:36
      This is a nice poem. You've created a very erotic moment without giving
      too many specifics - the best kind, especially in poetry, in my opinion.
      But the last verse is what really makes the poem work for me. the quest
      of seeking relief is worthwhile even if the relief turns out to be
      unattainable.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: A Little Thing · Author: Acacea · Times: Early Third Age:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 75
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 00:52:45
      I think this is the first instance ever of foliage being affected by the
      power of the Ring, such that it doesn't age. Interesting perspective.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: The Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship · Author: Elana · Times:
      Early Third Age: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 150
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 00:54:52
      I liked this little glimpse into Gandalf's first encounter with hobbits.
      That their smoking should appeal to a Maia with a fire affinity makes
      sense, and I liked how the hobbits come to trust him based on his
      enjoyment of the passtime.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: We Shall Return · Author: Marta · Times: Early Third Age:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 650
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 00:58:08
      Castamir's supporters rarely get much of a voice; this is an excellent
      look at how they might have thought. I particularly liked the idea of
      Gondor growing away from its heritage in becoming the land of stone,
      enamored with the land. Osse underlies Numenor, but clearly this is an
      insular reading of that heritage. The repetition of the title gives a
      strong forboding sentiment to the drabble. Well done!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: The Usurper · Author: Elena Tiriel · Times: Early Third Age:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 834
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:00:45
      Castamir's true colors show plainly here: he is both egotistical and
      cruel. For the sleight to his pride, and a prince's unwillingness to
      acknowledge him, he will order a most horrific and slow death for the
      offender. Indeed, collective punishment apparently isn't too good for
      the people of the City who (at least nominally) were loyal to Eldacar's
      line.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Lobelia's List · Author: annmarwalk · Races: Hobbits: General
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 201
      Reviewer: Branwyn · 2006-08-11 01:07:44
      In a tale dominated by male characters, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins stands
      out as one of the few strong females, a hobbit as tenacious and lovable
      as an old tree root. In this drabble, annmarwalk gives us Lobelia's
      hilarious "To Do" list of tasks to be done before the auction at BagEnd.
      True to form, Lobelia comes across as a ruthlessly efficient organizer
      and a merciless critic of human behavior. She is resignedly realistic
      about her own son--

      [4. How to keep lollygaggers away from beer barrel? Station Otho at
      cellar door? Who to watch Otho?]

      Of course, subsequent events will prove that he is even weaker than she
      had suspected. Her avariciousness and her snobbery toward those who she
      sees as her inferiors are right in character. The line about the missing
      spoons made me laugh out loud! Still, Lobelia is unapologetically her
      own master and she does win our respect at the end of LOTR when she
      hobbles out of prison, so it is a pleasure to read this delightful piece
      about one of Tolkien's fiestiest characters.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Tokens of Sorrow · Author: Tanaqui · Times: Early Third Age:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 874
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:10:34
      Tanaqui picks an obscure corner of fandom for this drabble. The king is
      dead, long live the king--save that the heir has also died. Worse, as
      Minohtar learns from the Rohirric captain, the king's younger son,
      Faramir, has also gone to war in disguise and been killed--he was
      recognized by the tokens of rank found on his body. A tragic day, and
      the tragedy hasn't ended yet for Gondor, either--part of the horror of
      the drabble comes from the knowledge that Minohtar, the king's nephew,
      hasn't long to live either.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: A Hallowed Place of Both Peoples · Author: Imhiriel · Times:
      Early Third Age: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 944
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:15:12
      Imhiriel puts the two resting places of Elendil to good use, employing
      it to explore the cross-cultural tensions between the Rohirrim--classed
      as 'Middle Men' by Gondorians--and their new Gondorian allies. Cirion
      may have bowed to his council and moved the body for several reasons,
      but it does seem like an act of mistrust not to leave it on Halifirien.
      Eorl shows that the 'Middle Men' have the generous spirit of a much
      higher people, and so suggests that Gondor might need to rethink its
      classification schema. Well done, Imhiriel!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Claws · Author: Elena Tiriel · Races: Villains: Fixed-Length
      Ficlet · ID: 835
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:22:09
      Minus the fact that crows and ravens have a positive significance for
      the Dwarves, this reminds me of the relationship between wargs and orcs:
      the [friendship of their kind] is an opportunistic use and abuse of each
      other. The crow steals Smaug's gems, while Smaug retrieves it without a
      second thought for the crow-thief's survival. Interesting side-view into
      [The Hobbit].
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Midwinter in Mordor · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Villains:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 872
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:25:04
      A very orcish holiday drabble. There's nothing like slave labor to
      lighten the load of a celebration, and to provide for the indulgence in
      a little schadenfreud when it comes to relieving the itch to hurt
      something. Then there's the small matter of needing meat for the menu,
      which Lugdush heartily appreciates. An appalling depiction--quite as it
      ought to be.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Blood Brothers · Author: Elana · Races: Villains: Fixed-Length
      Ficlet · ID: 149
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:28:21
      An intriguing glimpse into the life and formation of a mumak and his
      rider. Rider and beast share in everything together--birth, blooding,
      ornamentation, and finally, death. Well done!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Dark Appetites · Author: Elena Tiriel · Races: Villains:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 833
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:31:36
      Shelob was always a wild card, serving no one but herself, really. Here
      we see that that independence enables her to outlast the one who would
      call himself her master. When Sauron falls, she can fall back upon her
      own strength and power, having not allowed herself to be shaped so fully
      by him. And so she survives, waiting for someone to fill her stomach
      again at last. Good job!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Shadow and flame · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Villains:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 876
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:34:52
      It seems appropriate that the bitterest stroke to the fallen balrog is
      not any punishment that might be dealt out to him in the afterlife, as
      it were, but the insight into the Music, which tells him that his
      corruption and death was but an instrument for others to rise. For a
      would-be rebel, what could be worse than the knowledge that all one's
      plans were foreseen and made to suit another's designs? Well done!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Hunting Orcs · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Villains: Fixed-Length
      Ficlet · ID: 723
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2006-08-11 01:37:27
      An interesting twist on the twins' incessant quest for revenge. The orc
      narrator is so wonderfully self-centered--he and his band weren't doing
      anything, just torturing a bunch of villagers to whom Elrohir and
      Elladan had no relation. What call for the twins to go hunting them down
      and chasing them far over the fields to death? Wonderfully ironic.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Four Conversations and A Dream · Author: Forodwaith · Times: The
      Great Years: Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 90
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-08-11 03:05:25
      The different interludes all work so well. They are tender and full of
      details, and give us great scenes of Arwen's relationships with
      different people. I know this author has a special Arwen-shaped muse,
      but I didn't realize until reading this piece that that meant that she
      just *got* Arwen so completely - not just Arwen herself but how Arwen
      would relate to other characters, and how they would relate to her.
      That's the feeling I have coming away from this piece. It's a great
      gapfiller for how Arwen came to give the evenstar to Frodo, but much
      more than that develops a very under-developed (book-canon speaking) elf.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: The Price of Power · Author: Rabidsamfan · Times: The Great
      Years: General Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 989
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-08-11 08:34:33
      A heartless, and heart-rending ficlet from the point of view of a voice
      not often heard in LOTR fanfiction - Saruman. Here, he shows awareness
      and regret for what he is doing to achieve his goals, as well as his
      ruthlessness and ends-justify-the-means motivation. Saruman is someone
      who understands nobility and beauty - his willingness to sacrifice what
      he once cherished makes his fall all the more horrible.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: In Aragorn's Safekeeping · Author: Radbooks · Genres: Drama · ID: 141
      Reviewer: Madeleine · 2006-08-11 12:57:00
      Usually I avoid fanfiction about anybody or anything falling into
      Middle-earth like the plague. I can’t even recalled why I started to
      read this particular story, but I know why I kept reading it with
      enthusiasm till the last chapter.

      The story is good.

      I am not quite sure if 'storyteller' translates verbatim into English,
      but that is what Radbooks did. She told a good story. It’s as simple as
      that.

      It is detailed, colourful and the most enjoyable part are the brilliant
      characterizations of virtually every protagonist, no matter if they are
      of the own characters or the well-known and well-loved Tolkien
      characters. She does everyone great justice, Elves, Men and Hobbits.

      I can only recommend to anybody who usually avoids this genre, to give
      this fanfiction a try. I'm sure you won't be disapointed.

      -----------------------------------
      Title: Dinnertime Folly · Author: Cathleen · Genres: Humor · ID: 733
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-08-11 14:57:00
      Poor Pippin! I know what it's like to have to behave like an adult all
      the time even when sometimes you want to have fun and not be so
      responsible. I think he was being a bit unreasonable and at his age he
      might have had a bit more shame about this. But I can certainly
      understand the inclination. Good for him that he had the nerve to get
      back at Merry with a story of his own.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: The Smallest Hands · Author: Dreamflower · Times: The Great
      Years: Poetry · ID: 884
      Reviewer: GamgeeFest · 2006-08-11 16:03:08
      This is a beautiful song that honors Middle Earth's unlikely heroes. The
      names of legendary heroes at the beginning, and the qualities that are
      thought to make them so great, is wonderfully juxtaposed by those of the
      hobbits in the second half of the sonnet. ["Although in height but half
      as high full twice as large their hearts"] the hobbits prove that they
      are equal to the task and no less valiant than the heroes who have come
      before.
      -----------------------------------
      Title: Chance Encounter · Author: Dreamflower · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 187
      Reviewer: GamgeeFest · 2006-08-11 16:21:21
      There is so much to love about this story, from the Fellowship
      surprising Sam for his birthday, to Legolas wanting to spare the hobbits
      of their nightmares, to the little glimpse into Eowyn's childhood. But
      the true star of this story is Pippin, who gets his chance to shine and
      prove to his cousins just how much he has grown, in character not just
      height, during the war. It was also nice to see Meneclar, a wonderfully
      drawn OC, who has come back to Gondor after being away for years. The
      reunion of old friends is truly heartwarming. My favorite part though
      has to be the hobbit fan girls. Even in Middle Earth, the hobbits aren't
      safe from swooning girls!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: To The King! · Author: Ithil-Valon · Times: Multi-Age: Incomplete
      · ID: 848
      Reviewer: Katzilla · 2006-08-11 16:44:14
      Although this story started as 'merely' an undertaking of showing the
      relationship between Éomer and Théoden in greater depth (which was
      sorely missed in the movie and even prompted this outpouring of
      wonderfully intimate scenes), it quickly developed into a full-fledged
      adventure story that is mindful of canon, lovingly fleshing out the
      characters and overal, a real page turner.

      I know that this is the author's first attempt at fanfic, and if it is
      any indication of what might await us in the future, we will be in for
      many more wonderful stories from her. The thing that sets her apart from
      many others are, in my opinion, the very lovingly written relationsships
      between the different characters. Very nice work, my friend!
      -----------------------------------
      Title: How Grima Lost His Eyebrows · Author: NeumeIndil · Times: Late
      Third Age: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 800
      Reviewer: Katzilla · 2006-08-11 16:48:39
      Ha ha!! I have never been one to read drabbles or very short stories as
      I always figured that they are too short for me to get involved... but
      this provided me with a good laugh - I can just see those scenes of Brad
      Dourif's RingCon-panel again when he discussed at great length how
      disturbed his girlfriend was when he had to shave them off six times
      during the production! Poor, evil Gríma! Isn't it fun to have something
      like this happen to him? Thank you, Neu!