Reviews for 1 Sept - Part 1

  • Rhapsody
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      Title: The Falcon and the Star · Author: Raksha the Demon · Times: The
      Great Years: Gondor · ID: 57
      Reviewer: julia · 2006-07-26 23:00:46
      A beautiful and very well-written story, with an excellent use of
      quotes. I always enjoy HOH stories, and this one provided a new view of
      how Aragorn healed Faramir. I liked the differing POV's, and the imagery
      of Faramir wandering in an evil land beset with wraiths was very well
      done, and actually quite scary at points.

      Title: Stolen · Author: Meril · Genres: Alternate Universe · ID: 46
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-07-26 23:29:59
      This author obviously understands Galadriel's character deeply. All of
      the blows that first Khamul and then Sauron deal her, the parts of her
      that they are aiming for, re very central to her personality. The bit
      with the hair was especially well done. It could very easily have been
      used to point out vanity, but in this story it is so much more.
      Title: Recalled To Life - Alqualonde · Author: AWing · Races: Elves:
      Feanorians · ID: 787
      Reviewer: dkpalaska · 2006-07-26 23:36:00
      This story drew me in immediately. Seeing events unfold through
      Maedhros' eyes brings out the many changes from before the first
      Kinslaying to four Ages later during the time of the story. The
      descriptions of the city, its people and the landscape are full and
      clear without being overdone, and they never overwhelm the central
      themes of repentance and forgiveness.

      I thought it an excellent touch that the King and Queen bring the matter
      before all their people (without warning Maedhros, mind you) - from
      those killed during the Kinslaying and reborn, to those born since, and
      those who came from over sea during the intervening ages. Maedhros'
      rather dutiful request for forgiveness is judged by the entire community
      and not by the rulers alone.

      Although I have read this story several times, I am still very moved by
      (and dearly love) the final scene: the connection that the
      Silmarillion/Earendil's Star provides, the singing that swells up from
      the gathered people, and Maedhros' grieving for his family and all they
      have done. The ability to forgive even (or perhaps especially) the worst
      crimes brings the beginnings of healing and hope to both sides, and I
      thought AWing portrayed this believably and beautifully without making
      it overly sentimental. Her writing is lyrical and flowing, and I think
      this is a wonderful and creative story.
      Title: The Falcon and the Star · Author: Raksha the Demon · Times: The
      Great Years: Gondor · ID: 57
      Reviewer: dkpalaska · 2006-07-26 23:51:21
      I originally found "The Falcon and the Star" via Anke Eissmann's
      drawings, and the fact that such a superb artist would be inspired by a
      specific piece of writing just drew me right over to this story. It was
      marvelous reading about the events unfolding and being able to refer
      back to her artwork.

      This is a wonderful story, and I enjoyed it tremendously. There were
      many things that I liked about it, but to list my particular favorites:
      - I liked that this part of the book is explored via Aragorn's POV, and
      he is shown as both an imperfect man and determined healer.
      - I thought it was very in-character for Faramir to continue fighting,
      AND thinking, in the vale. (The vale itself was brilliant in imagery and
      - I loved Aragorn's reflection on Faramir as a precious jewel,
      especially given the meaning of Faramir's name.
      - I appreciated the careful use of language and the "Tolkienesque" tone
      that was set with it.
      - I thought every one of the biblical quotes were apt and well-chosen.

      A small thing I really enjoyed is the intro to Part One:
      [To say that I was weary was to say that Arwen was pleasant to look
      upon, or that Pippin was a curious hobbit. In eight short days, I had
      brought the army of the Dead to Pelargir, taken the Umbari ships and
      sailed them to the Harlond, where, with a force of a few thousand men of
      Gondor, fifty Dunedain, two Peredhel, an Elf and a dwarf, we surprised
      the assembled might of Mordor and turned the tide of battle.]

      The listing of his fighting force in this way just struck me as
      extremely funny, and set the tone for how much I liked this portrayal of
      Aragorn and his dry wit.

      The care and attention to detail that was put into this story is very
      obvious. In fact, there were many excellent details that I only caught
      by reading other reviews. "Unfortunately," I then had to go back and
      read the story again and again. :)
      Title: The Consequences of Curiosity · Author: A L Milton · Genres:
      Humor: Gondor · ID: 153
      Reviewer: dkpalaska · 2006-07-26 23:54:36
      This is a wonderful and very entertaining story. The author has a gift
      for writing smooth and rolling formal language. The conversation is
      handled well and written clearly and concisely, I thought, and I was
      never lost or confused despite the quick pace of the exchange. And the
      entire exchange is so funny: Aragorn trying to make sure his Steward is
      OK, curiously inquiring about the nature of the "exercise" after
      Faramir's reassurances... and then getting far, far more information
      than he ever wanted. His attempts to redirect the tenor of the
      discussion were deftly countered by Faramir's enthusiastic wish to
      reveal all concerning his and Eowyn's predilections. Or maybe he just
      wanted to torment Aragorn for bringing it up in the first place. Or both...

      I thought Faramir's description of his and Eowyn's "playacting" was
      truly inspired: the Shieldmaiden/Scholar; the Rider and Her Obedient
      Squire; the Lady Corsair and the Captured Emissary... Ah, the images
      these all brought forth... I could just see Aragorn's fingers turning
      white from gripping that ledger book, holding it up defensively in front
      of him like a shield, and getting an increasingly desperate look in his
      eye as Faramir went into more and more detail.

      Really, I was laughing throughout the entire story. It packs a lot of
      entertainment punch despite being so short.
      Title: Childhood Dreams · Author: Acacea · Genres: Drama: Gondor
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 523
      Reviewer: Marta · 2006-07-27 00:55:38
      Aww, that one's really sweet. I'm familiar with those childhood dreams
      (I wanted to grow up to be a boy, personally), and you've captured both
      of these brothers well. I see them as teenagers or maybe in their
      twenties - very full of life just bursting into the characters we see in
      the Ring War. And as such, they're very believable.
      Title: Keeping an eye on the enemy · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Men:
      Fixed-Length Ficlets With Children · ID: 871
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 01:11:59
      A charming look at the childhood antics of Faramir and Boromir. The
      image of young Faramir hiding behind the lavender bush, playing Ranger,
      is irresistible. And Boromir's counter-attack seems very typical of a
      big brother.
      Title: Fear and Loathing in Middle Earth · Author: vladazhael · Genres:
      Humor: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 407
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 01:20:06
      Here's a combination that I don't think has ever been tried before - a
      LOTR scene written in the style of Hunter S. Thompson. From Legolas'
      POV, no less. That it works should be credited to the author's skill.
      Funny in a weird way.
      Title: Trust · Author: Dwimordene · Genres: Drama · ID: 216
      Reviewer: Isabeau of Greenlea · 2006-07-27 02:04:36
      Since we all freely abscond with the Professor's characters and make
      them dance to their tune, it's perhaps a bit hypocritical to be
      protective of the original characters that we insert into his world.
      Nonetheless, I would expect someone wanting to use a character of mine
      to apply for me for permission, and I would consider the matter
      carefully before granting it. Dwimordene is one of the few people who
      may write Andrahar any time and in any way she likes. It's really great
      to have a character I'm so fond of, yet be able to read stories by
      another author that hold so true to my conception of him. I never have
      to worry about Andra when he's in Dwimordene's hands-and I get to read
      more stories about him that I don't have to write!

      This story is an expansion of a train of thought of Boromir's in my
      story Discovery, in which Boromir reflects upon the turning point in his
      and Andrahar's relationship, which happened after they'd been seeing
      each other for six years. I had presented it as the point at which their
      relationship must either die or go on to the next level, and had figured
      that I would write about what brought them to that crux point some time
      in the future, but Dwim beat me to it. Not that I'm sorry-as far as I'm
      concerned, this is what really happened.
      Title: Great Heart · Author: Raksha the Demon · Times: First Age and
      Prior: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 64
      Reviewer: Isabeau of Greenlea · 2006-07-27 02:12:19
      Yay! A dog story! Raksha and I are both in agreement that there aren't
      enough dog stories in Middle-earth. As someone who has bred dogs, I can
      say the depiction of Huan's early battles is spot-on. He is truly the
      niftiest dog in Tolkien's works, and I like the fact that he holds his
      heart back for a worthy master, that Celegorm can command his obedience
      but not his love.
      Title: 300 Horses · Author: Rous · Times: Fourth Age and Beyond:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 631
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 02:30:07
      Very clever twist on the AU theme. I wish there were a sequel or three.
      The nature of the Mearas was a surprise.

      Well-written drabble packing a lot into a hundred words.
      Title: Moon Friend: Tales of Isildur · Author: Elena Tiriel · Races:
      Men: Other Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 832
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 02:46:42
      A nifty drabble series focussing on the first mortal Ring-bearer, the
      mighty Numenorean, Isildur. My favorites are the first chapter, where
      Isildur steals the fruit of the doomed White Tree, and the chapter where
      he recalls his love for his dead brother. The moon-motif is wonderfully

      Well-written and unusual drabble series.
      Title: Half a Sticky Mile · Author: SlightlyTookish · Genres: Adventure
      · ID: 940
      Reviewer: Budgielover · 2006-07-27 04:20:32
      Two of my favorite themes are hobbits being hobbits and the relationship
      between Merry and Pippin, and this fic gives me both. The love and
      mutual understanding between cousins is so clearly drawn in this fic,
      and eachs' strengths and weaknesses. Yet above all they are hobbit-folk,
      concerned with breakfast and safety, and not wishing at all to be
      involved in the doings of the mighty and great. There are so many little
      flashes of humor in this fic ("Suddenly Pippin became a great deal
      heavier") that we are reminded of Tolkien's writing, and the 'voice' of
      this fic is true also to the characters and the genre. This is a
      delightful moment in a dark hour of our beloved hobbits' adventures.
      Title: A Tisket, A Tasket · Author: grey_wonderer · Times: Late Third
      Age: The Shire · ID: 570
      Reviewer: Budgielover · 2006-07-27 04:38:54
      There are so many things I love about this fic that I cannot list them
      all. First, any story about six-year old Pippin visiting Bag End with
      his elder cousin Merry is certain to melt the heart. Then throw in an
      indulgent and slightly exasperated Frodo and a benevelent Bilbo and a
      discussion on the facts of life, and you are guaranteed to melt into a
      puddle of warm goo. Each of the characters is delightfully drawn and
      true to their characters and ages, and Pippin as a little one wanting
      baby stuffed rabbits from his (male) stuffed rabbit rings so true to
      anyone who has dodged the "How do babies get made?" discussion with a
      child. Perhaps my favorite part was how little Pippin innocently wrapped
      all the older hobbits around his finger, even Merry, who acts exactly
      like an older and more educated relative. And he is the one who caves
      and supplies Pippin with proof that, if you make a nest and hope, you
      will have baby (stuffed!) bunnies.
      Title: Sam's Voice · Author: illyria-pffyffin · Races: Hobbits:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 964
      Reviewer: Budgielover · 2006-07-27 04:50:49
      This is a sad story, for it tells us of what Frodo endures after the
      Ring is destroyed and he returns to Bag End, forever changed and less
      than he was before. In beautifully written prose, the author tells us of
      his struggle to live, because Sam fought so hard on the Quest to keep
      him alive. It is Sam's voice and Sam's will that keeps him functioning,
      working towards some end. We see Sam through Frodo's eyes and feel his
      gratitude and his sorrow that he cannot be as Sam remembers him. There
      is little dialogue; this is a thoughtful, reflective piece, and the
      thread of grief in it builds without truly offering a bright spot. Yet
      it is a beautiful read, brilliantly thought-out, and offers the reader a
      glimpse into Frodo's personality and heart.
      Title: After The Storm · Author: chibi_kaz · Times: The Great Years:
      Gondor · ID: 773
      Reviewer: stefaniab · 2006-07-27 05:11:05
      This is an engaging Movieverse romance. Faramir, of the red-gold hair,
      is noble, sympathetic, and sweetly romantic. Eowyn is supremely sensible
      and practical. Rather than taking her lovers along the too typical,
      angsty road to romance, Chibi makes their story fun. Faramir has a keen
      sense of humor, but haphazard personal hygiene. At his behest, Eowyn
      literally takes charge of domestic life in Minas Tirith. Faramir and
      Eowyn's story that usually gets dripped with angst. Instead, Chibi
      lavishes her lovers with sweetness.
      Title: Pride Before The Fall · Author: AmandaK · Genres: Alternate
      Universe · ID: 742
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 13:21:23
      Very effective AU story that builds up the Ring's possession of Boromir
      bit by bit, each deed more sinister than the last, from the initial
      theft and the sly prank he plays on Legolas and Gimli to the murder of
      his own kin, until both Boromir and the realm he stole the Ring to save
      are utterly ruined.

      I get shivers reading it.
      Title: Black Hour · Author: Nesta · Times: The Great Years: Gondor · ID: 92
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 13:38:20
      A slightly AU look at Faramir's judgment of Aragorn's claim to the

      The writer uses a minimalist style that works well. She portrays Faramir
      as a man who is both the proud heir of the Stewards of Gondor and a man
      of reason who balances his own rights, and those of a new claimant to
      the crown, against the good of the realm itself.

      Good grasp of the history of Gondor, and the post-Ring War political
      ramifications of a savior coming up the Anduin bearing Elendil's sword
      and the king's standard.

      Faramir is well-written. The writer shows, through introspection and
      dialogue and actions, the Captain's high quality. The end in particular
      delineates Faramir's courage very well.

      Title: Mirrors of Numenor · Author: Dostoevsky's Mouse · Races: Men:
      Incomplete · ID: 242
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 15:05:20
      This story has an almost lyrical quality about it, the language is

      I really like the relationship built between Thorongil and Denethor.
      Denethor is depicted as proud, somewhat arrogant, and underneath it all,
      rather starved for affection and friendship, and warming to Thorongil,
      perhaps in hope of getting both from one of the few men who can be said
      to be his equal, at least in quality. I am not sure whether the writer
      intends to make their relationship a sexual one eventually; but the idea
      of a friendship, however brief, between these two [Pale mirrors of
      Numenor], is fascinating. Though I wonder; if Denethor felt a need for
      trust from Thorongil, and Thorongil could not of course confide all his
      secrets in Denethor, was that the root of the painful anger Denethor
      feels towards the returning king in the first chapter, which begins the
      flashbacks that form the chapters here. The notion that Thorongil raises
      in Ch. 8, that Denethor expects total trust from others, yet trusts no
      one himself, is interesting. Given the idea of Thorongil and Denethor
      being each other's equals and mirrors, and Thorongil's expectation that
      others trust him without his revealing his own true self, we have quite
      a complex interplay going on here.

      I hope the writer will finish this very readable story.
      Title: It's the Thought · Author: annmarwalk · Races: Men: Fixed-Length
      Ficlets With Children · ID: 71
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 15:06:35
      A bit of warmth in what must have been a rather dark time for the young,
      orphaned Eomer and Eowyn - Theodred's kind regard for his little cousins
      shows the perception that would have helped make him a good king.

      And a glimpse of Eowyn's warrior tendancies, even as a little girl.

      Lovely drabble!
      Title: A Meara for Me! · Author: Súlriel · Genres: Non-Fiction · ID: 893
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 15:08:06
      A wonderful resource for those fanfic writers who want to use horses and
      have names for them, that are appropriate for Middle-earth. The
      descriptions of the individual horses are particularly charming; I feel
      like I know each of the beautiful mares and stallions displayed in the

      I particularly love the photo of Fione Culima, who looks spirited and
      downright cute for an animal of her size.
      Title: Preparing The Way · Author: Lady Aranel · Genres: Drama: Elves in
      Later Ages · ID: 284
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2006-07-27 15:10:14
      An eloquent and beautiful tale of Legolas' loss of one of his dearest
      friends, as he attends Arod during the horse's last hours. Original
      situation in Tolkien fanfiction, but written with effortless, effective
      prose that details the sorrow of an Elf unused to seeing death take his
      friends. There is just the right amount of sentiment; and the appearance
      of Legolas' mortal friends Elboron and Faramir and Aragorn reminds the
      reader that Legolas is unusual among Elves for the attachments he has
      dared to make.
      Title: Rest and Recreation · Author: Raksha the Demon · Races:
      Cross-Cultural · ID: 700
      Reviewer: Gandalfs apprentice · 2006-07-27 15:50:53
      I really enjoyed this little tale of Boromir's adventures in
      Imladris--which were not adventurous enough for him until his bout with
      the strange blond Elf! As a pervy Dunedain fancier, I always enjoy
      reading about Men who can make the fancy creatures sing for their supper.

      One point, though. Swordsmen don't use their actual swords in practice
      bouts. They risk death or injury that way. I know a blunt sword or
      weighted stick is not very picturesque, but it would be more real, and
      Boromir as a captain would certainly be very aware of this need. He
      seems appropriately ignorant of a lot of Elvish history, however. No
      doubt Faramir was much better informed.

      I cringed at the idea of playing chess with Elrond. Eek!

      Wouldn't he have met Arwen during this time? It seems to me that she
      would be eager to get to know him, given that she was hoping to soon be
      his queen, even if he was not interested in her. A man's man, of course.
      Title: Great Heart · Author: Raksha the Demon · Times: First Age and
      Prior: Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 64
      Reviewer: Gandalfs apprentice · 2006-07-27 16:03:31
      This is a vivid description of the puppyhood of the Great Hound Huan,
      loyalest of friends. I particularly liked the red ears and their
      provenance, a combination of personal memory and acknowledgement of the
      great Mabinogion. Thanks!
      Title: At the Rising of the Moon · Author: Linda Hoyland · Genres:
      Humor: Gondor · ID: 846
      Reviewer: Madeleine · 2006-07-27 19:31:13
      What I like about this light-hearted story – yes, Linda can do that also
      very well - is the idea of many various Yule traditions from different
      people blending together.

      Less a generation ago mistletoes weren’t part of the Christmas tradition
      here where I live and my Grandmother would have responded like Aragorn,
      itemising them simply for their medical uses. Today I couldn’t picture a
      proper Christmas decoration without them.

      In a way this warm story is an allegory for Middle-earth after the Great
      War - at least the way I’ve always imagined the rebuilding after the
      fall of Sauron, not only in a material sense - where the different
      people find together, learn from each other and exchange the good and
      positive parts of their cultures.

      The tale was published during the last Season, perfectly fitting, but I
      can only recommend to read it straight away – as I would recommend
      reading any of the authors other stories. It’s a real treat all year around.