Re: Check Ballot 1 Posted

  • Anoriath, Lady Ranger
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hey there, Marta.

      *blink* whhoooooaaa... Now that's some work you guys put into this, I
      hate to suggest a change.

      Well, here goes.

      this:

      Psychodiagnostic Evaluation - Subject: The Lady of Rohan (753): Anoriath

      was classified under:

      +++Men: General+++

      It probably would be more properly classified under humor:parody since
      it's a parody of a psychological interview and is, hopefully, humorous
      in nature.

      Thanks!

      ~Silli

    • aure_enteluva
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Lily Baggins <lily_the_hobbit@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I think a mistake has occured with a story of mine: Dear Diary
        (264).
        > It is categorized in Races: Hobbits: Chilrden.
        > Yet, though a child does make an appearance in the middle of the
        story and onwards, the story is mostly about Primula Baggins. I would
        suggest putting it into Races: Hobbits: Pre-Quest

        > Thanks,
        > Lily

        Hi Lily,

        I have talked this over with the other people who helped categorize
        stories. Thanks for your patience.

        I have moved your story "Dear Diary" from the "Children" subcategory
        to the "Pre-Quest" subcategory because it actually worked better that
        way, making those two subcategories more even in size. However, I do
        want to point out something. When you filled out your form about this
        story you selected "children/childhood of canon characters" as the
        sub-genre. That's why we put it in the "Children" subcategory. With so
        many stories to categorize, the categorizers couldn't be familiar with
        all of them. So we have to act on the best information we have - which
        is the form the authors complete.

        We will try to move your stories but we may not be able to do this in
        every case because it might make one of the subcategories too big or
        too small. In cases like this where we've put the story in a
        subcategory because of the information you provided, we'll only move
        it if doing so won't cause a problem for the subcategory we're moving
        it out of and the subcategory we're moving it into.

        Anyway, like I said, I've moved your story to the "Pre-Quest"
        subcategory. Good luck with the awards! And if you see anything else
        you think we should move, please let us know.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
          Hi Anoriath,

          Thanks for bringing this up. I want to discuss it with the other
          categorizers, and will get back with you once I've had a chance to get
          their opinions.

          Marta
        • Rhonda Deniston
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
            Marta,

            Okay, I went in and looked at the first check ballot and you guys have done a lot of work! :) I had a couple of things and the first one is a personal thing for me. Can my story, 'In Aragorn's Safekeeping' be moved to the AU category? It seems to fit in that group of stories much better... I did choose that as a second choice. It just has a lot of drama in it which is why I picked that as my first choice even though it is an AU.

            Speaking of AU's, I noticed several other AU type stories as I went down through the list of stories. Do we just leave them there since that is where the author evidently wanted them or is it up to you to decide where to put them? I know some of them because I have read them. Anyway, let me know and I'll tell you which ones I am thinking about specifically.

            In the Humor-Gondor section is a story called 'Mud Summer Night's Dream' by SueB. I've read that story and it does have humor in it but I see it as more of an Action/Adventure story and as I just went to the site it is listed as an Action/Adventure/Humor story. Also I think it is quite a bit longer than the rest of the stories in that category, though I have not read the others. I'm basing that on what I know of the authors mostly. Anyway, that might be one to check for a second choice.

            In the Romance: Incomplete section are two stories with Eomer and Loth. and then we have a whole section devoted just to them. Should those stories be moved to the Eomer and Loth category just so they are all together?

            Finally, there is one story in an incomplete category that I know is now complete. Do we move it or leave it as is?

            Hope that helps... there were so many stories that I haven't read that I couldn't be sure on those, but on the ones I knew they seemed to be placed in the right category.

            Radbooks

            aure_enteluva <melayton@...> wrote:
            I'm sending this as a special announcement so everyone will see this.

            I have just posted the first round of chek ballots. Please look over
            these and email to this group if any of the stories appears to be in
            the wrong category or sub-category.

            The ballots I posted seem to be trickling in, but they start at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEFAwards/message/7223 . If any do not
            appear in the next few hours please let me know. If it's easier for
            you, I have put all of these ballots into one text file, in the
            files section of this group. You can find it at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mefawards/files/ .

            All subcategories should have between five and fifteen stories. We
            will award a first, second, and third place to each subcategory, and
            the following number of honourable mentions:

            5-6 pieces in the subcategory = no honourable mentions
            7-8 pieces in the subcategory = one honourable mention
            9-10 pieces in the subcategory = two honourable mentions
            11-12 pieces in the subcategory = three honourable mentions
            13-14 pieces in the subcategory = four honourable mentions
            15 pieces in the subcategory = five honourable mentions

            So if a subcategory has twelve pieces, then the pieces that ranked
            fourth, fifth, and sixth will get an honourable mention. If a
            subcategory only has seven pieces, then the story ranked fourth will
            get the only honourable mention in that subcategory. The point of
            honourable mentions is to recognize good stories in larger
            subcategories.

            So look over these, and if anything seems out of whack, please let
            me know.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
              Hi Silli!

              > *blink* whhoooooaaa... Now that's some work you guys put into this, I
              > hate to suggest a change.

              Don't worry about suggesting changes. I didn't post these just to get
              blanket approval from you guys. If there really are problems I want to
              fix them.

              > Well, here goes.
              >
              > this:
              >
              > Psychodiagnostic Evaluation - Subject: The Lady of Rohan (753): Anoriath
              >
              > was classified under:
              >
              > +++Men: General+++
              >
              > It probably would be more properly classified under humor:parody since
              > it's a parody of a psychological interview and is, hopefully, humorous
              > in nature.

              Inkling, the person who categorized Humor, looked at this story and said
              it would fit nicely in the Parody subcategory. Since there were a fair
              number of stories in "Men: General" and since Humor is your
              second-choice category, I've moved it into "Humor: Parody".

              I know that there was probably some confusion about what categories to
              choose. For next year, here is how we used the category choice.

              Every author selects a genre, a race, and a time period. You selected
              Humor, Men, and The Great Years respectively. Then the author ranks
              those categories in the order they want us to try to place their story.
              You ranked these categories as Race, Genre, Time Period. What that means
              is the first thing we did was try to categorize your story in the
              "Races: Men" main category.

              As it happened there were enough other stories nominated that we could
              keep your story in its first-choice category. That's actually a
              best-case scenario as far as the categorizers are concerned, because
              we've put your story in what you told us was your first choice of where
              we put it. If you thought your piece was more of a humor piece than a
              piece focusing on Men, you should have ranked your categories as "Genre,
              Race, Time Period" or "Genre, Time Period, Race", depending on what your
              *second* choice was - if we couldn't place it in Humor, whether you'd
              like us to try The Great Years or Men first.

              Now, I realize this probably wasn't as clear as it was. And I really do
              not mean to single you out here! I'm just going into a bit of detail so
              next year we can get even better information. These awards are a
              learning process, on all our parts.

              Anyway, all of that to say - yes, we'll move it to Parody. Double-check
              the next check ballot to make sure it's there.

              Thanks,
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                Hi Radbooks,

                Well, it feels like I'm saying "no" a lot here! But I did consider
                everything you've said. Thanks for bringing these things up.

                > Okay, I went in and looked at the first check ballot and you guys have
                > done a lot of work! :)

                Thanks!

                > I had a couple of things and the first one is a
                > personal thing for me. Can my story, 'In Aragorn's Safekeeping' be moved
                > to the AU category? It seems to fit in that group of stories much
                > better... I did choose that as a second choice. It just has a lot of
                > drama in it which is why I picked that as my first choice even though it
                > is an AU.

                Actually, your category choices were:

                First choice - Drama
                Second choice - The Great Years
                Third choice - Men

                I see that you've chosen "AU" as a subgenre but that isn't the same
                thing as a main category choice. See my email to Anoriath about how we
                get the first, second, and third category choices.

                If you really think Drama: General isn't the best place for it, we could
                maybe move it into one of the other Drama subcategories. We could
                *possibly* move it to either The Great Years or Men for you, though I'm
                trying to avoid switching main categories when we can help it.

                > Speaking of AU's, I noticed several other AU type stories as I went down
                > through the list of stories. Do we just leave them there since that is
                > where the author evidently wanted them or is it up to you to decide
                > where to put them? I know some of them because I have read them. Anyway,
                > let me know and I'll tell you which ones I am thinking about specifically.

                Yeah, we're going to leave them where the author put them. If the author
                wants to read them, we could add a note to the summary that the piece
                is AU. The author would need to send an email to
                mefasupport(at)gmail(dot)com, and I'll change it for them.

                > In the Humor-Gondor section is a story called 'Mud Summer Night's Dream'
                > by SueB. I've read that story and it does have humor in it but I see it
                > as more of an Action/Adventure story and as I just went to the site it
                > is listed as an Action/Adventure/Humor story.

                Well, I don't want to move it to Action for the same reason I said
                above. We're not moving stories to new categories if the author didn't
                choose it as their second- or third-choice. And I'd rather not move that
                one at all. The "Humor: Gondor" subcategory has seven stories, and if we
                move one out it will only have six left. That's a little on the small size.

                > Also I think it is quite a
                > bit longer than the rest of the stories in that category, though I have
                > not read the others. I'm basing that on what I know of the authors
                > mostly. Anyway, that might be one to check for a second choice.

                I can see how that would be a concern. We discussed this a lot in last
                year's post mortem and decided we didn't *have* to categorize based on
                length. Most of the subcategories have a mix, unless they're some
                specialized form like "Vignette". For example the "Adventure: General"
                subcategory has several short stories, but also medium length, novel,
                and epic.

                > In the Romance: Incomplete section are two stories with Eomer and Loth.
                > and then we have a whole section devoted just to them. Should those
                > stories be moved to the Eomer and Loth category just so they are all
                > together?

                Nope, not yet. All incomplete stories are grouped together. If either of
                these are finished during the course of the awards the author should
                contact us, and we'll move it into a subcategory for completed stories
                in the main category. In that situation we can move it into the Eomer
                and Lothiriel subcategory, or maybe into the Gondor or Rohan
                subccategory depending on where it's set - whichever seems appropriate.

                > Finally, there is one story in an incomplete category that I know is now
                > complete. Do we move it or leave it as is?

                This one we can move! What story?

                > Hope that helps... there were so many stories that I haven't read that I
                > couldn't be sure on those, but on the ones I knew they seemed to be
                > placed in the right category.

                Thanks for all your work! I'm sure it took a while, and i really
                appreciate the effort.