Re: [MEFAwards] Check Ballot 1 Posted

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
      Hi Lily,

      > I think a mistake has occured with a story of mine: Dear Diary (264).
      > It is categorized in Races: Hobbits: Chilrden.
      > Yet, though a child does make an appearance in the middle of the story and onwards, the story is mostly about Primula Baggins. I would suggest putting it into Races: Hobbits: Pre-Quest

      Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I want to discuss this with
      the other people who helped categorize stories and will get back to
      you as soon as I can.

      Marta
    • Anoriath, Lady Ranger
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
        Hey there, Marta.

        *blink* whhoooooaaa... Now that's some work you guys put into this, I
        hate to suggest a change.

        Well, here goes.

        this:

        Psychodiagnostic Evaluation - Subject: The Lady of Rohan (753): Anoriath

        was classified under:

        +++Men: General+++

        It probably would be more properly classified under humor:parody since
        it's a parody of a psychological interview and is, hopefully, humorous
        in nature.

        Thanks!

        ~Silli

      • aure_enteluva
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
          --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Lily Baggins <lily_the_hobbit@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > I think a mistake has occured with a story of mine: Dear Diary
          (264).
          > It is categorized in Races: Hobbits: Chilrden.
          > Yet, though a child does make an appearance in the middle of the
          story and onwards, the story is mostly about Primula Baggins. I would
          suggest putting it into Races: Hobbits: Pre-Quest

          > Thanks,
          > Lily

          Hi Lily,

          I have talked this over with the other people who helped categorize
          stories. Thanks for your patience.

          I have moved your story "Dear Diary" from the "Children" subcategory
          to the "Pre-Quest" subcategory because it actually worked better that
          way, making those two subcategories more even in size. However, I do
          want to point out something. When you filled out your form about this
          story you selected "children/childhood of canon characters" as the
          sub-genre. That's why we put it in the "Children" subcategory. With so
          many stories to categorize, the categorizers couldn't be familiar with
          all of them. So we have to act on the best information we have - which
          is the form the authors complete.

          We will try to move your stories but we may not be able to do this in
          every case because it might make one of the subcategories too big or
          too small. In cases like this where we've put the story in a
          subcategory because of the information you provided, we'll only move
          it if doing so won't cause a problem for the subcategory we're moving
          it out of and the subcategory we're moving it into.

          Anyway, like I said, I've moved your story to the "Pre-Quest"
          subcategory. Good luck with the awards! And if you see anything else
          you think we should move, please let us know.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
            Hi Anoriath,

            Thanks for bringing this up. I want to discuss it with the other
            categorizers, and will get back with you once I've had a chance to get
            their opinions.

            Marta
          • Rhonda Deniston
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
              Marta,

              Okay, I went in and looked at the first check ballot and you guys have done a lot of work! :) I had a couple of things and the first one is a personal thing for me. Can my story, 'In Aragorn's Safekeeping' be moved to the AU category? It seems to fit in that group of stories much better... I did choose that as a second choice. It just has a lot of drama in it which is why I picked that as my first choice even though it is an AU.

              Speaking of AU's, I noticed several other AU type stories as I went down through the list of stories. Do we just leave them there since that is where the author evidently wanted them or is it up to you to decide where to put them? I know some of them because I have read them. Anyway, let me know and I'll tell you which ones I am thinking about specifically.

              In the Humor-Gondor section is a story called 'Mud Summer Night's Dream' by SueB. I've read that story and it does have humor in it but I see it as more of an Action/Adventure story and as I just went to the site it is listed as an Action/Adventure/Humor story. Also I think it is quite a bit longer than the rest of the stories in that category, though I have not read the others. I'm basing that on what I know of the authors mostly. Anyway, that might be one to check for a second choice.

              In the Romance: Incomplete section are two stories with Eomer and Loth. and then we have a whole section devoted just to them. Should those stories be moved to the Eomer and Loth category just so they are all together?

              Finally, there is one story in an incomplete category that I know is now complete. Do we move it or leave it as is?

              Hope that helps... there were so many stories that I haven't read that I couldn't be sure on those, but on the ones I knew they seemed to be placed in the right category.

              Radbooks

              aure_enteluva <melayton@...> wrote:
              I'm sending this as a special announcement so everyone will see this.

              I have just posted the first round of chek ballots. Please look over
              these and email to this group if any of the stories appears to be in
              the wrong category or sub-category.

              The ballots I posted seem to be trickling in, but they start at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEFAwards/message/7223 . If any do not
              appear in the next few hours please let me know. If it's easier for
              you, I have put all of these ballots into one text file, in the
              files section of this group. You can find it at
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mefawards/files/ .

              All subcategories should have between five and fifteen stories. We
              will award a first, second, and third place to each subcategory, and
              the following number of honourable mentions:

              5-6 pieces in the subcategory = no honourable mentions
              7-8 pieces in the subcategory = one honourable mention
              9-10 pieces in the subcategory = two honourable mentions
              11-12 pieces in the subcategory = three honourable mentions
              13-14 pieces in the subcategory = four honourable mentions
              15 pieces in the subcategory = five honourable mentions

              So if a subcategory has twelve pieces, then the pieces that ranked
              fourth, fifth, and sixth will get an honourable mention. If a
              subcategory only has seven pieces, then the story ranked fourth will
              get the only honourable mention in that subcategory. The point of
              honourable mentions is to recognize good stories in larger
              subcategories.

              So look over these, and if anything seems out of whack, please let
              me know.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                Hi Silli!

                > *blink* whhoooooaaa... Now that's some work you guys put into this, I
                > hate to suggest a change.

                Don't worry about suggesting changes. I didn't post these just to get
                blanket approval from you guys. If there really are problems I want to
                fix them.

                > Well, here goes.
                >
                > this:
                >
                > Psychodiagnostic Evaluation - Subject: The Lady of Rohan (753): Anoriath
                >
                > was classified under:
                >
                > +++Men: General+++
                >
                > It probably would be more properly classified under humor:parody since
                > it's a parody of a psychological interview and is, hopefully, humorous
                > in nature.

                Inkling, the person who categorized Humor, looked at this story and said
                it would fit nicely in the Parody subcategory. Since there were a fair
                number of stories in "Men: General" and since Humor is your
                second-choice category, I've moved it into "Humor: Parody".

                I know that there was probably some confusion about what categories to
                choose. For next year, here is how we used the category choice.

                Every author selects a genre, a race, and a time period. You selected
                Humor, Men, and The Great Years respectively. Then the author ranks
                those categories in the order they want us to try to place their story.
                You ranked these categories as Race, Genre, Time Period. What that means
                is the first thing we did was try to categorize your story in the
                "Races: Men" main category.

                As it happened there were enough other stories nominated that we could
                keep your story in its first-choice category. That's actually a
                best-case scenario as far as the categorizers are concerned, because
                we've put your story in what you told us was your first choice of where
                we put it. If you thought your piece was more of a humor piece than a
                piece focusing on Men, you should have ranked your categories as "Genre,
                Race, Time Period" or "Genre, Time Period, Race", depending on what your
                *second* choice was - if we couldn't place it in Humor, whether you'd
                like us to try The Great Years or Men first.

                Now, I realize this probably wasn't as clear as it was. And I really do
                not mean to single you out here! I'm just going into a bit of detail so
                next year we can get even better information. These awards are a
                learning process, on all our parts.

                Anyway, all of that to say - yes, we'll move it to Parody. Double-check
                the next check ballot to make sure it's there.

                Thanks,
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Hi Radbooks,

                  Well, it feels like I'm saying "no" a lot here! But I did consider
                  everything you've said. Thanks for bringing these things up.

                  > Okay, I went in and looked at the first check ballot and you guys have
                  > done a lot of work! :)

                  Thanks!

                  > I had a couple of things and the first one is a
                  > personal thing for me. Can my story, 'In Aragorn's Safekeeping' be moved
                  > to the AU category? It seems to fit in that group of stories much
                  > better... I did choose that as a second choice. It just has a lot of
                  > drama in it which is why I picked that as my first choice even though it
                  > is an AU.

                  Actually, your category choices were:

                  First choice - Drama
                  Second choice - The Great Years
                  Third choice - Men

                  I see that you've chosen "AU" as a subgenre but that isn't the same
                  thing as a main category choice. See my email to Anoriath about how we
                  get the first, second, and third category choices.

                  If you really think Drama: General isn't the best place for it, we could
                  maybe move it into one of the other Drama subcategories. We could
                  *possibly* move it to either The Great Years or Men for you, though I'm
                  trying to avoid switching main categories when we can help it.

                  > Speaking of AU's, I noticed several other AU type stories as I went down
                  > through the list of stories. Do we just leave them there since that is
                  > where the author evidently wanted them or is it up to you to decide
                  > where to put them? I know some of them because I have read them. Anyway,
                  > let me know and I'll tell you which ones I am thinking about specifically.

                  Yeah, we're going to leave them where the author put them. If the author
                  wants to read them, we could add a note to the summary that the piece
                  is AU. The author would need to send an email to
                  mefasupport(at)gmail(dot)com, and I'll change it for them.

                  > In the Humor-Gondor section is a story called 'Mud Summer Night's Dream'
                  > by SueB. I've read that story and it does have humor in it but I see it
                  > as more of an Action/Adventure story and as I just went to the site it
                  > is listed as an Action/Adventure/Humor story.

                  Well, I don't want to move it to Action for the same reason I said
                  above. We're not moving stories to new categories if the author didn't
                  choose it as their second- or third-choice. And I'd rather not move that
                  one at all. The "Humor: Gondor" subcategory has seven stories, and if we
                  move one out it will only have six left. That's a little on the small size.

                  > Also I think it is quite a
                  > bit longer than the rest of the stories in that category, though I have
                  > not read the others. I'm basing that on what I know of the authors
                  > mostly. Anyway, that might be one to check for a second choice.

                  I can see how that would be a concern. We discussed this a lot in last
                  year's post mortem and decided we didn't *have* to categorize based on
                  length. Most of the subcategories have a mix, unless they're some
                  specialized form like "Vignette". For example the "Adventure: General"
                  subcategory has several short stories, but also medium length, novel,
                  and epic.

                  > In the Romance: Incomplete section are two stories with Eomer and Loth.
                  > and then we have a whole section devoted just to them. Should those
                  > stories be moved to the Eomer and Loth category just so they are all
                  > together?

                  Nope, not yet. All incomplete stories are grouped together. If either of
                  these are finished during the course of the awards the author should
                  contact us, and we'll move it into a subcategory for completed stories
                  in the main category. In that situation we can move it into the Eomer
                  and Lothiriel subcategory, or maybe into the Gondor or Rohan
                  subccategory depending on where it's set - whichever seems appropriate.

                  > Finally, there is one story in an incomplete category that I know is now
                  > complete. Do we move it or leave it as is?

                  This one we can move! What story?

                  > Hope that helps... there were so many stories that I haven't read that I
                  > couldn't be sure on those, but on the ones I knew they seemed to be
                  > placed in the right category.

                  Thanks for all your work! I'm sure it took a while, and i really
                  appreciate the effort.