New Story Searching Functionality

  • Anthony Holder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2006
      Hey all,

      I've wanted to do this for a while, but have been too busy or lazy or
      whatever to get around to it.

      When you look at the filters on the story list, you'll see a lot of new
      options, starting today.

      First, I shortened the author name length, so it doesn't stretch across
      the entire page due to the story with 10 coauthors. That one now says
      'Anso the Hobbit and 9 CoAuthors'.

      Second, I added a filter for the Genre, Race, and Time choices. This
      filter shows all stories with your selection as either the first,
      second, or third choice.

      Third, I added filters for the various lists of characters, times,
      settings, canonical events, etc.

      These filters are all put together with 'and' statements, so if you
      choose Time = 'The Great Years' and MinorCharacter = Gandalf, you'll
      only get the stories with both (which might be none).

      The lists of characters, places, etc. should only show the ones that
      are used in the stories that are competing. If you notice something
      missing, let me know.

      For now, the author list includes authors with stories that were
      withdrawn. After CheckBallots is over, we'll trim that list down to
      stories that are actually running.

      Let me know if there's something else from the story data form that
      ought to be on the filter list. I'll try to add any that are
      reasonable.

      Later,
      Anthony
    • Nancy Brooke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2006
        --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Holder <aaholder@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I've wanted to do this for a while, but have been too busy or lazy
        or
        > whatever to get around to it.
        >
        > When you look at the filters on the story list, you'll see a lot of
        new
        > options, starting today.
        >
        > First, I shortened the author name length, so it doesn't stretch
        across
        > the entire page due to the story with 10 coauthors. That one now
        says
        > 'Anso the Hobbit and 9 CoAuthors'.
        >
        > Second, I added a filter for the Genre, Race, and Time choices.
        This
        > filter shows all stories with your selection as either the first,
        > second, or third choice.
        >
        > Third, I added filters for the various lists of characters, times,
        > settings, canonical events, etc.
        >
        > These filters are all put together with 'and' statements, so if you
        > choose Time = 'The Great Years' and MinorCharacter = Gandalf,
        you'll
        > only get the stories with both (which might be none).
        >
        > The lists of characters, places, etc. should only show the ones
        that
        > are used in the stories that are competing. If you notice something
        > missing, let me know.
        >
        > For now, the author list includes authors with stories that were
        > withdrawn. After CheckBallots is over, we'll trim that list down to
        > stories that are actually running.
        >
        > Let me know if there's something else from the story data form that
        > ought to be on the filter list. I'll try to add any that are
        > reasonable.
        >
        > Later,
        > Anthony

        Fabulous, Anthony!

      • Kathy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2006
          All immensely useful (as I discovered today while
          categorizing!)...thanks so much Anthony! And bless you for
          shortening that co-author group name! :)

          Kathy (Inkling)