Calling all Promoters

  • aure_enteluva
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2006
      Hey guys,

      Over at the MEFA-discussions list we've decided that the 2006 MEFAs will begin on May 1.
      That's not as far away as you might think, and it's not too early to start thinking about
      next year. Do you want to get involved? Why not become a promoter?

      To do this, you just have to be active on a Tolkien-related forum, LJ community, Yahoo
      group, or any other way that members of the fandom gather and communicate. Basically
      we want the people there to know who you are. Periodically I will write up an
      announcement and you will post it at these places on behalf of the MEFAs. If anyone
      replies with a question and you can answer it by pointing to a MEFA FAQ or rule, you can
      do that. If you're not sure, send the question back to me and I'll prepare an "official"
      answer that you can post to the group. this just makes sure everyone is getting good
      information.

      In the past I have tried to promote the MEFAs at corners of the fandom where I spend my
      time and know people. But this year I'm not going to be doing that for two main reasons.
      First, since Ive spent so much time promoting the MEFAs and giving official answers to
      MEFA-related questions, I think some people view whatever I say regarding the MEFAs as
      official. And I don't want to give the impression that we're somehow affiliated with those
      places where I spend my fandom time and so would be making announcements.

      More to the point, I simply won't have the time to be as thorough as I should. I'm too busy
      with other areas of running these awards. I know that other people who have in the past
      promoted the awards may not be able to do that again this year, too. Basically, don't
      assume that just because MEFA announcements were made last year that they will be
      made there this year.

      Does this sound like something you might be interested in? It's actually fairly easy and can
      be quite a fun way to get involved. Reply to this post and I will start a list of where the
      MEFAs are being promoted.

      Marta
    • dwimmer_laik
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
        *sigh* *raises hand*

        I'll do HA yahoo group and HASA, if those aren't taken. All I have to
        do is post things and answer the occasional question, yes?

        Dwim, the "insufficiently reluctant" once more
      • Chris Grzonka
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26, 2006
          Hi Marta,

          I can do announcements at Aragorn Angst.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 27, 2006
            > From: dwimmer_laik <dwimmer_laik@...>
            > Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:33:46 -0000
            > To: <MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [MEFAwards] Re: Calling all Promoters
            >
            > *sigh* *raises hand*
            >
            > I'll do HA yahoo group and HASA, if those aren't taken. All I have to
            > do is post things and answer the occasional question, yes?
            >
            > Dwim, the "insufficiently reluctant" once more

            You don¹t even have to answer questions if that makes you uncomfortable.
            Just pass them along to me, I¹ll write up the answer and you post it for me.

            I¹ll add you to the list in my address book. Thanks for volunteering.

          • Budgielover
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
              Hi, Marta. I don't know how much help I would be as a promoter for the MEFA, as we seem to visit the same sites, but would like to help if I can. I'm on LJ, various archives, my website, and other places were announcements might be of value.
              Or, if you would wish me to help in another area, I'd be happy to. I think the MEFA is immensely valuable to the fandom and would be honored to participate.
              Yours,
              Budgielover (aka Gayle)

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
                > From: Chris Grzonka <grzonka@...>
                > Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:09:19 -0500
                > To: <MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [MEFAwards] Calling all Promoters
                >
                > Hi Marta,
                >
                > I can do announcements at Aragorn Angst.
                >
                > Chris

                Most excellent. I will add you to the list. Thanks.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
                  Hi Budgielover,

                  > Hi, Marta. I don't know how much help I would be as a promoter for the MEFA,
                  > as we seem to visit the same sites, but would like to help if I can. I'm on
                  > LJ, various archives, my website, and other places were announcements might be
                  > of value.

                  I¹ve decided not to act as a promoter. I¹m just too busy in other areas of
                  the awards. Are there any specific groups you¹d like to make announcements
                  to?

                  > Or, if you would wish me to help in another area, I'd be happy to. I think the
                  > MEFA is immensely valuable to the fandom and would be honored to participate.

                  We¹ll be looking for volunteers in a few weeks. The first thing we¹ll need
                  are ³author liaisons² -- the people who emailed you last year when your
                  stories were nominated and walked you through that process. If you want to
                  help out like that, the more the merrier. We can always use more liaisons.
                  But even more important, you can just get involved. Nominate and vote,
                  design awards banners if you¹re inclined that way, and just talk the MEFAs
                  up among your friends.

                • dwimmer_laik
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 30, 2006
                    So, just to clarify: should we be posting the MEFA scheduling post to
                    those lists?

                    Dwim
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                      > From: dwimmer_laik <dwimmer_laik@...>
                      > Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:34:25 -0000
                      > To: <MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [MEFAwards] Re: Calling all Promoters
                      >
                      > So, just to clarify: should we be posting the MEFA scheduling post to
                      > those lists?
                      >
                      > Dwim

                      No. When I want you to make an announcement, I¹ll send you an announcement
                      privately from mefasupport at gmail dot com. Probably with ³Official MEFA
                      Announcement² or something like that in the subject. The email will be of
                      the form:

                      -----

                      You¹re receiving this email because you volunteered to help promote the
                      Middle-earth Fanfiction Awards.Please post the below message at the group(s)
                      to which you agreed to make announcements.

                      Subject: [subject of the email/forum post]

                      If anyone asks a question that you do not feel comfortable answering, please
                      forward it to this email address and I will provide you an answer to share.

                      -----