moving discussions to a new Yahoo group

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hey guys,

      Someone at the LJ made a comment that I think has a really good
      suggestion:

      ******
      [fantasy_fan]

      As far as the Yahoo group is concerned, that dealt far too much with
      the inner workings of the awards, which I wasn't competent to comment
      on. I still get the e-mails from the Yahoo group, but I delete them
      unread. I totally question why someone who just wants to read and
      review, or someone whose stories are nominated, has to join a group
      that deals with inner workings. Perhaps they could be invited to join
      this specific group, if they are interested in making the awards
      better, or if they are interested in becoming involved in the
      administration of the awards?
      ******

      This is a good point -- if you just want to vote, I imagine this group
      can be pretty intimidating. So unless people object, I think we'll
      change the focus of this list after we tie up loose ends on this
      post-mortem. This list will still be available for people who have
      questions, and for the admins to make announcements. And we'll still
      post the nominations and the reviews here. But the policy discussions
      and so on will move to a separate list. We'll call it mefa-grievances
      or something like that. That way people who just want to participate
      can, and the people who want to discuss policy can do that, too.

      Sound like a plan?

      Marta
    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        >
        > Someone at the LJ made a comment that I think has a really good
        > suggestion:
        >
        > [fantasy_fan]
        > As far as the Yahoo group is concerned, that dealt far too much
        > with the inner workings of the awards, which I wasn't competent to
        > comment on. I still get the e-mails from the Yahoo group, but I
        > delete them unread. I totally question why someone who just wants
        > to read and review, or someone whose stories are nominated, has to
        > join a group that deals with inner workings. Perhaps they could be
        > invited to join this specific group, if they are interested in
        > making the awards better, or if they are interested in becoming
        > involved in the administration of the awards?
        > ******
        >
        > This is a good point -- if you just want to vote, I imagine this
        > group can be pretty intimidating. So unless people object, I think
        > we'll change the focus of this list after we tie up loose ends on
        > this post-mortem. This list will still be available for people who
        > have questions, and for the admins to make announcements. And we'll
        > still post the nominations and the reviews here. But the policy
        > discussions and so on will move to a separate list. We'll call it
        > mefa-grievances or something like that. That way people who just
        > want to participate can, and the people who want to discuss policy
        > can do that, too.
        >
        > Sound like a plan?

        Hi Marta,

        That seems fine, although I think I'd call it something less
        negative, like MEFA Policy or Post-mortem. But it also seems like a
        point worth making to Fantasy Fan, and anyone else who is wondering
        why all these wonky discussons are conducted here (as opposed to at
        the MEFA Staff Yahoo group, for example) that there's a very
        important reason for it: transparency. If policy is not discussed
        publicly, then the MEFAs become vulnerable to accusations of being
        unfair, cliquish, secretive, etc. So whether all members wish to
        follow it or not, the discussion needs to be out here somewhere--
        whether at this group, a new group, or the LJ.

        BTW, you also mentioned some important uses of this group that I'd
        forgotten: it's where nominations and reviews are posted publicly. If
        the Yahoo membership becomes optional, as it looks likely to, it
        might be good to include these in the list of reasons to join.

        Kathy
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hi Kathy,

          On 6 Feb 2006, at 23:15, Kathy wrote:

          > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys,
          > >
          > > Someone at the LJ made a comment that I think has a really good
          > > suggestion:
          > >
          > > [fantasy_fan
          <snip>

          > > This is a good point -- if you just want to vote, I imagine this
          > > group can be pretty intimidating. So unless people object, I think
          > > we'll change the focus of this list after we tie up loose ends on
          > > this post-mortem. This list will still be available for people who
          > > have questions, and for the admins to make announcements. And we'll
          > > still post the nominations and the reviews here. But the policy
          > > discussions and so on will move to a separate list. We'll call it
          > > mefa-grievances or something like that. That way people who just
          > > want to participate can, and the people who want to discuss policy
          > > can do that, too.
          > >
          > > Sound like a plan?
          >
          > Hi Marta,
          >
          > That seems fine, although I think I'd call it something less
          > negative, like MEFA Policy or Post-mortem.

          Ack, did I really type in "mefa-grievance"? That's a group where I've
          been moderating a discussion relating to who gets credit as writing one
          of this year's entries. (Long story - *really* don't have time to go
          into it tonight, sorry). I meant to type mefa-discussion, but
          mefa-policy would probably be better. Something like that.

          > But it also seems like a
          > point worth making to Fantasy Fan, and anyone else who is wondering
          > why all these wonky discussons are conducted here (as opposed to at
          > the MEFA Staff Yahoo group, for example) that there's a very
          > important reason for it: transparency.  If policy is not discussed
          > publicly, then the MEFAs become vulnerable to accusations of being
          > unfair, cliquish, secretive, etc. So whether all members wish to
          > follow it or not, the discussion needs to be out here somewhere--
          > whether at this group, a new group, or the LJ.

          Yes, I agree. Transparency is definitely a Good Thing, and I don't want
          to give that up. But when I read Fantasy Fan's post, it occurred to me
          that this list has come to have a lot of different purposes. And the
          way it's set up, if you don't want to use all of the things it's
          currently set up to do, it can be very overwhelming. Yahoo makes it
          harder to ignore certain posts than it would be in a web-based forum
          system like LJ where you could just follow certain threads. (You can if
          you go to read at the website, but even there Yahoo doesn't sort by
          threads by default.

          Hence my suggestion for two groups.

          > BTW, you also mentioned some important uses of this group that I'd
          > forgotten: it's where nominations and reviews are posted publicly. If
          > the Yahoo membership becomes optional, as it looks likely to, it
          > might be good to include these in the list of reasons to join.

          If we go this way, we'll do that. And I'm still in favor of not
          requiring membership to vote -- but if we do some of the other things
          that have been suggested, I'm much more comfortable with keeping the
          Yahoo requirement. Basically here are some ideas I think we need to do:

          1. Make this group usable to people not interested in intricate policy
          discussions. We can do this by setting up a second group.

          2. Make it easier to join if you don't have a Yahoo account. The
          email-only option should let people do this.

          3. Walk people through the process more. Anthony's suggestions about
          having people say what kind of membership they wanted when requesting a
          password and having the admin invite them seemed like it would do this.

          4. Let nominated authors get involved more easily. Giving them voting
          (but not nominating) would satisfy me here.

          So I think with these measures, I'm comfortable keeping the Yahoo
          requirement. We can discuss it next year if it's still an issue.

          Marta
        • Naresha
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006
            > Sound like a plan?

            I actually suggested this myself in one of my
            earlier emails. Guess it got missed out! :-)

            Naresha

            ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

            AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
            Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
            Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

            My Website! Slash Me Happy
            http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

            http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

            Check out gigs in your area on the comprehensive Yahoo! Music Gig Guide
            http://au.music.yahoo.com/gig-guide