IP Logging, security, etc.

  • Anthony Holder
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
      First of all, I'm already logging IPs, but at the beginning of the
      year, it didn't work right, so I don't know if we can use it very well
      for 2005.

      I'm logging them when someone logs into the system, if they're not a
      guest or admin. Not admin is because admins can login as someone else,
      and I don't want to log that IP address as a multiple for all those
      cases. I'm still not sure it'll work, so I may need to collect the IP
      addresses of admins and eliminate them before trying to check for sock
      puppets. I've decided to add a date to the IP log. It will increase the
      size of the log, because it'll note each time you login, your ID and
      IP, where before it just noted that this person logged in from this IP,
      but not when. Just making it clear we're logging IPs will deter most
      people, and if they're going to go to the trouble to mask that, they'll
      probably be careful enough that you'll never even suspect they're
      sock-puppeting, in the first place.

      Second, it is possible to change the access types, dividing up voting
      and nominating. As Ainae mentioned, there are various person-types, and
      I can just ask "Is this person an admin?" and base access by the
      answer. It wouldn't be too hard to add new types, but I don't think we
      need to. MEFAwards member means they can nominate, not a MEFAwards
      member means they can vote.

      One possibility that I haven't seen discussed is to turn the process
      around: Open up the MEFA2006 site's create account function for all,
      and ask them if they want an invitation to join the Yahoo group (which
      is strongly encouraged, because questions about how the awards work are
      always being discussed, and if you're a member, you'll be allowed to
      nominate new stories). If you're already a Yahoo member, tell us your
      Yahoo ID, and we'll use that in the invitation.

      If someone wants to be added to the Yahoo group as a non-Yahoo member,
      just let us know and we'll do that, too.

      To deal with the fact that not all get MEFAwards emails (and this
      happens even now), special notices will be sent to a manual mailing
      list of all members via the MEFAsupport@... email account. This
      way, everybody gets them, and they look different from regular posts,
      so people are more likely to see them.

      Finally, make a policy that all support is handled through the
      MEFAwards group, so that all members can read about the problem and
      solution. For a non-MEFAwards member, they can send a support request
      to MEFAsupport@.... The question will be answered by copying the
      email/pasting into a MEFAwards post, and adding the answer below it.
      When the question is answered, an email will be sent to the asker
      stating:

      Since we want to ensure that all members are aware of any problems and
      the resolution of said problems (and ofttimes they help resolve them),
      we have responded to your question with a post at the MEFAwards Yahoo!
      to read your answer, and any responses/further clarification that the
      MEFAwards members may have added. The post to the group was titled
      "NMSR: What does Category mean?". NMSR means Non-Member Support
      Request.

      So the new member form would look like:

      Nickname (your nom-de-plume in the Middle Earth Fan-Fiction universe,
      if you have one):
      Email Address:
      Homepage (include http://):

      The MEFAwards Yahoo! Group is a companion group to this awards site.
      Membership in the Yahoo! group is not required to participate in the
      MEFAs, but it is highly recommended, as that is where questions get
      answered, and the community discusses any issues that arise with the
      awards. Also, between awards seasons, the group decides how to make the
      awards better next time.

      Membership in MEFAwards is required, however, to nominate stories for
      the awards. This requirement has been decided on by the entire
      membership of MEFAwards, and is explained more fully in the
      <link>FAQ</link>.

      Membership options (please select one):
      1) I am already a MEFAwards member, why didn't you already create an
      account here for me?!?!?!
      2) Please send me an Invitation to Join MEFAwards, I want to nominate
      stories and discuss things.
      3) Please add me as an email-only member of MEFAwards. I'll handle
      getting a Yahoo! ID, if I choose to, at a later time.
      4) I have already (or will, as soon as I finish joining here) requested
      membership in MEFAwards. Please confirm me soon, so I can nominate some
      stories!
      5) I do not wish to join MEFAwards at this time. I will read MEFAwards
      posts at the Yahoo! Groups website. If I want to join later, so I can
      nominate some stories, I will request membership at the MEFAwards
      Yahoo! group site.

      Note to admins (If you're already a Yahoo! member, let us know your
      Yahoo! ID, so we can invite you to the group with that ID. If you're
      already a MEFAwards member, let us know your Yahoo! ID or the email
      address you've signed up as, if it's different than the nickname/email
      above, so we can match you up with your MEFAwards identity. Let us know
      anything else we might need to know, besides the price of tea in China,
      of course.):
      Username:
      Password (must be 5 characters or more, and will be visible to the
      group admins, so don't use the same one you use for your bank
      accounts!):

      Later,
      Anthony
    • Anthony Holder
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
        Responding to my own post. How sad!

        I was also thinking that since authors have accounts created for them,
        and their usernames and passwords are not what they'll want to keep, I
        need to look for username like 'Author%', and send them to the 'edit
        user data' page when they first login, so they can change things. On
        that page, I'll also ask them the same questions about MEFAwards
        membership, with the same explanation.

        If these suggestions are accepted, then once the new site is ready, we
        can change the 'welcome' message at the Yahoo group to say 'go over to
        the MEFA2006 site and create yourself an account. Once the admins
        approve your invitation, they'll also set that account as able to
        nominate stories'. Or something like that.

        For the admins: Would you prefer having people join the MEFA2006 site,
        and then always having to invite them to join MEFAwards? That way, you
        wouldn't have to search to see if they were MEFAwards members if they
        join MEFA2006, or if they are MEFA2006 members if they join MEFAwards.

        I can't tell or remember now: Does the MEFAwards group require approval
        of new members, or do you just join, and it sends a note to the
        owner/moderator that someone joined?

        Someone's going to need to keep up with the membership lists and make
        sure they're synchronized. I wonder if I can figure out a way to use
        the Yahoo! group's Export function, or create a similar MEFA2006
        function to make the comparison easier.

        A.
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006

          I'm about to head to bed, but will try to answer this and other posts
          tomorrow. But I can handle this one factual question.

          > I can't tell or remember now: Does the MEFAwards group require
          > approval
          > of new members, or do you just join, and it sends a note to the
          > owner/moderator that someone joined?

          The Yahoo group requires an admin approve the membership. I think
          elliska's been handling this. But I get one email when someone tries to
          join the Yahoo group, and another when their membership is approved.

          Are you a moderator for this Yahoo group? Would you like to be? I don't
          think you necessarily need to be, and suggest it so you can see how
          this works firsthand, if you want to.

          By the way, what you're describing in your two posts is actually
          exactly what I had in mind. I think it would work a lot smoother than
          the system we currently have, which seems backward to me. Do you think
          it gives us enough tools to catch sockpuppets?

          Thanks,
          Marta
        • rabidsamfan
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
            Anthony wrote:

            "One possibility that I haven't seen discussed is to turn the process
            around: Open up the MEFA2006 site's create account function for all,
            and ask them if they want an invitation to join the Yahoo group (which
            is strongly encouraged, because questions about how the awards work are
            always being discussed, and if you're a member, you'll be allowed to
            nominate new stories). If you're already a Yahoo member, tell us your
            Yahoo ID, and we'll use that in the invitation.

            If someone wants to be added to the Yahoo group as a non-Yahoo member,
            just let us know and we'll do that, too. "

            Wow, can we do that? I mean, be in the yahoo group without an ID? Because
            your two emails make the most sense of anything I've seen suggested, and not
            having to go through creating a Yahoo ID would have made me really happy.

          • Naresha
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
              > The Yahoo group requires an admin approve the >
              membership. I think elliska's been handling
              > this. But I get one email when someone tries
              > to join the Yahoo group, and another when
              > their membership is approved.

              It's been a combination of people - all users
              listed as owners or moderators get the messages
              asking for approval and saying it's been given.
              I know I've done a few every so often and I
              believe that Ainaie and Sulriel have done it too
              - as I said, anyone with moderator or owner
              status can.

              Naresha

              ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

              AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
              Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
              Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

              My Website! Slash Me Happy
              http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

              http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

              http://au.local.yahoo.com
            • Anthony Holder
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                On Feb 5, 2006, at 6:51 AM, rabidsamfan wrote:

                > Anthony wrote:
                >

                > If someone wants to be added to the Yahoo group as a non-Yahoo member,
                > just let us know and we'll do that, too. "
                >

                > Wow, can we do that? I mean, be in the yahoo group without an ID?
                > Because
                > your two emails make the most sense of anything I've seen suggested,
                > and not
                > having to go through creating a Yahoo ID would have made me really
                > happy.

                RSF,

                Yes, the Yahoo! group's owner/moderator can just add you to the list,
                if she has your email address, as an email-only member. The
                owner/moderator can then set your email status to Emails, Digests,
                Special Notices, or No Mail. You can, if you desire, attach a Yahoo! ID
                to that membership at a later date.

                I could add a question about what email type you want for the
                email-only members, with Special Notices being the lowest, I think.
                Actually, I think we should probably make 'Special Notices' the lowest
                email type allowed, and be judicious about the use of Special Notices,
                so it doesn't upset folks, but that's another topic for discussion.

                Later,
                Anthony
              • Kathy
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                  --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Holder <aaholder@...> wrote:

                  > > "If someone wants to be added to the Yahoo group as a non-Yahoo
                  > > member, just let us know and we'll do that, too."

                  > > On Feb 5, 2006, at 6:51 AM, rabidsamfan wrote:
                  > > Wow, can we do that? I mean, be in the yahoo group without an
                  > > ID? Because your two emails make the most sense of anything I've
                  > > seen suggested, and not having to go through creating a Yahoo ID
                  > > would have made me really happy.

                  > Anthony wrote:
                  > Yes, the Yahoo! group's owner/moderator can just add you to the
                  > list, if she has your email address, as an email-only member. The
                  > owner/moderator can then set your email status to Emails, Digests,
                  > Special Notices, or No Mail. You can, if you desire, attach a
                  > Yahoo! ID to that membership at a later date.

                  I, too, had no idea that an "email-only" Yahoo group membership
                  option existed. From the name, I assume it means that while you will
                  receive emails at the selected level, you can't post to the group,
                  vote in polls, access files or the database, etc? As I imagine most
                  people don't know about this, I worry that offering it may cause some
                  confusion…some may request it thinking they will be able to post. If
                  it's offered, I think it will need to be explained very clearly.

                  Also, I would not want to see this type of membership given
                  nominating rights, since as I've noted before, I believe the "hoop"
                  of going through Yahoo registration serves to help limit the number
                  of nominations. That this is definitely a concern was just reiterated
                  in the current discussions over at the MEFA LJ, where at least one
                  author said that the overwhelming number of stories was one of the
                  reasons she didn't vote.

                  Other than that I like your suggestions, Anthony.

                  Kathy
                • Chris Grzonka
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                    Kathy wrote:

                    > I, too, had no idea that an "email-only" Yahoo group membership
                    > option existed. From the name, I assume it means that while you will
                    > receive emails at the selected level, you can't post to the group,
                    > vote in polls, access files or the database, etc? As I imagine most
                    > people don't know about this, I worry that offering it may cause some
                    > confusion…some may request it thinking they will be able to post. If
                    > it's offered, I think it will need to be explained very clearly.

                    AFAIK, you can participate via emails. You just reply, or send emails to the
                    group email. You can't enter in polls and access features only available
                    through the group site.

                    Chris
                  • Anthony Holder
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                      Chris is right.

                      This type of member can post via email only. I just checked, and the
                      only thing they can do via the website is read posts.

                      As far as requiring a Yahoo ID linked member to nominate, that is for
                      you all to decide.

                      Anthony

                      On Feb 5, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Chris Grzonka wrote:

                      > Kathy wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I, too, had no idea that an "email-only" Yahoo group membership
                      >> option existed. From the name, I assume it means that while you will
                      >> receive emails at the selected level, you can't post to the group,
                      >> vote in polls, access files or the database, etc? As I imagine most
                      >> people don't know about this, I worry that offering it may cause some
                      >> confusion…some may request it thinking they will be able to post. If
                      >> it's offered, I think it will need to be explained very clearly.
                      >
                      > AFAIK, you can participate via emails. You just reply, or send emails
                      > to the
                      > group email. You can't enter in polls and access features only
                      > available
                      > through the group site.
                      >
                      > Chris
                    • Naresha
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                        > Actually, I think we should probably
                        > make 'Special Notices' the lowest email type
                        > allowed, and be judicious about the use of
                        > Special Notices, so it doesn't upset folks,
                        > but that's another topic for discussion.

                        I definately think that we need to have everyone
                        set to special notices or above - otherwise it's
                        sort of useless! :-)

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                          > I, too, had no idea that an "email-only" Yahoo
                          > group membership option existed. From the
                          > name, I assume it means that while you will
                          > receive emails at the selected level, you
                          > can't post to the group, vote in polls, access
                          > files or the database, etc?

                          What it is is a "mailing list" option - people on
                          this cannot access the groups features as you
                          said - so no polls, databases etc. - but I think
                          they can post messages.

                          Resha

                          ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

                          AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
                          Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
                          Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

                          My Website! Slash Me Happy
                          http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

                          http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

                          Take your Mail with you - get Yahoo! Mail on your mobile
                          http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mweb/index.html
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 7, 2006
                            Hi Anthony,

                            > I was also thinking that since authors have accounts created for them,
                            > and their usernames and passwords are not what they'll want to keep, I
                            > need to look for username like 'Author%', and send them to the 'edit
                            > user data' page when they first login, so they can change things. On
                            > that page, I'll also ask them the same questions about MEFAwards
                            > membership, with the same explanation.

                            That would be great, if it can be managed. Otherwise maybe it can be
                            handled informally, through the liaisons.

                            About those options - I really like them, but it looks like we will be
                            requiring Yahoo membership in some form, so that option will have to be
                            edited out. (I think it was #5?) But besides that, they looked really
                            good.

                            > If these suggestions are accepted, then once the new site is ready, we
                            > can change the 'welcome' message at the Yahoo group to say 'go over to
                            > the MEFA2006 site and create yourself an account. Once the admins
                            > approve your invitation, they'll also set that account as able to
                            > nominate stories'. Or something like that.

                            The two-step process did seem to be confusing a lot of people. This
                            isn't a problem unique to the MEFAs (I know Henneth-Annun.net had a
                            similar problem when they required membership at a Yahoo account), but
                            it does seem to be an area that needs a little bit of handholding.
                            Especially when you consider that these people don't have any great
                            incentive to get through the process, since they don't have very much
                            invested in the awards.

                            > For the admins: Would you prefer having people join the MEFA2006 site,
                            > and then always having to invite them to join MEFAwards? That way, you
                            > wouldn't have to search to see if they were MEFAwards members if they
                            > join MEFA2006, or if they are MEFA2006 members if they join MEFAwards.

                            Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I'd much rather have the chance ot
                            help someone along than deal with the confusion.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 7, 2006
                              On 5 Feb 2006, at 10:17, Anthony Holder wrote:

                              > On Feb 5, 2006, at 6:51 AM, rabidsamfan wrote:
                              >
                              > > Anthony wrote:
                              > >

                              > > If someone wants to be added to the Yahoo group as a non-Yahoo
                              > member,
                              > > just let us know and we'll do that, too. "
                              > >

                              > > Wow, can we do that?  I mean, be in the yahoo group without an ID?
                              > > Because
                              > > your two emails make the most sense of anything I've seen suggested,
                              > > and not
                              > > having to go through creating a Yahoo ID would have made me really
                              > > happy.
                              >
                              > RSF,
                              >
                              > Yes, the Yahoo! group's owner/moderator can just add you to the list,
                              > if she has your email address, as an email-only member. The
                              > owner/moderator can then set your email status to Emails, Digests,
                              > Special Notices, or No Mail. You can, if you desire, attach a Yahoo!
                              > ID
                              > to that membership at a later date.

                              For what it's worth, this was news to me utnil Anthony said it. Very
                              welcome news, I might add.

                              > I could add a question about what email type you want for the
                              > email-only members, with Special Notices being the lowest, I think.
                              > Actually, I think we should probably make 'Special Notices' the lowest
                              > email type allowed, and be judicious about the use of Special Notices,
                              > so it doesn't upset folks, but that's another topic for discussion.

                              I agree with this. I know that some people read at the web site and
                              actually keep up with it, but I think a lot of other people mean to
                              keep up and it falls by the wayside. If this group is to be a way to
                              make official announcements, I need to know that people are getting
                              those announcements.

                              Marta
                            • Naresha
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                > If this group is to be a way to make official >
                                announcements, I need to know that people are >
                                getting those announcements.

                                Definately agree! Although, we will always have
                                to put up with the odd person bouncing, that's
                                something we can't do anything about. However, I
                                think that the suggestion of keeping everyone at
                                Special Notices or above, is one that we
                                definately need to implement to make this thing
                                work - or else we may as well not have a list.
                                Which would be a bit silly as it seems a majority
                                of people see the sense in having some sort of
                                official list. :-)

                                Resha

                                ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

                                AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
                                Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
                                Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

                                My Website! Slash Me Happy
                                http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

                                http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

                                Messenger 7.0: Free worldwide PC to PC calls
                                http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                  On 9 Feb 2006, at 06:25, Naresha wrote:

                                  > > If this group is to be a way to make official >
                                  > announcements, I need to know that people are >
                                  > getting those announcements.
                                  >
                                  > Definately agree!  Although, we will always have
                                  > to put up with the odd person bouncing, that's
                                  > something we can't do anything about.  However, I
                                  > think that the suggestion of keeping everyone at
                                  > Special Notices or above, is one that we
                                  > definately need to implement to make this thing
                                  > work - or else we may as well not have a list.
                                  > Which would be a bit silly as it seems a majority
                                  > of people see the sense in having some sort of
                                  > official list. :-)
                                  >
                                  > Resha

                                  Can we officially call this issue settled, then? Nominated authors get
                                  voting privileges, everyone else has to join to vote (and everyone,
                                  even authors, has to join to nominate).

                                  I think we can then call this post-mortem officially closed. That was
                                  the last topic I had. I still need to come up with lists of categories,
                                  events, etc. for the nomination form, and I may post those here when
                                  I'm done to let people add something major if I forget it -- but
                                  otherwise, I think it's time we all take a break and start getting
                                  mentally geared up for next year.

                                  If I did forget anything, feel free to let me know.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Marta
                                • sulriel
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                    --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
                                    > Can we officially call this issue settled, then? Nominated authors
                                    get > voting privileges, everyone else has to join to vote (and
                                    everyone, > even authors, has to join to nominate).

                                    > I think we can then call this post-mortem officially closed. That
                                    was > the last topic I had. I still need to come up with lists of
                                    categories, > events, etc. for the nomination form, and I may post
                                    those here when > I'm done to let people add something major if I
                                    forget it -- but > otherwise, I think it's time we all take a break
                                    and start getting > mentally geared up for next year.
                                    > > If I did forget anything, feel free to let me know.
                                    > > Thanks,> Marta>

                                    Marta, that all sounds good, - the post-mortem seemed like a lot of
                                    work, but I think it's a good sign that people care.

                                    - apologies to Marta and all for disappearing. I've had sick kids
                                    and sick horses - ... stranded yesterday at Wal-mart in a new-tire
                                    fiasco, (the only thing that made it tolerable was the amazing fact
                                    that the 'tire-guy' was kind, courteous and knowledgeable!!!) while
                                    I was there the school called for me to come pick up the youngest
                                    with 101 fever - and we got home to find the mare that I've been
                                    worried about was down and unable to deliver - necrotic foal was mal-
                                    positioned - it will be about a week before we know what long term
                                    effects the mare have from this. ... :(

                                    RL - ugh ...

                                    Becky
                                  • Kathy
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                      --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:

                                      > Can we officially call this issue settled, then? Nominated authors
                                      > get voting privileges, everyone else has to join to vote (and
                                      > everyone, even authors, has to join to nominate).
                                      >
                                      > I think we can then call this post-mortem officially closed.

                                      Do we pop the champagne cork now? :D

                                      Kathy (Inkling)

                                    • aelfwina@cableone.net
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                        *Wheeee!* *Throws confetti and Mardi Gras beads*

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                          On 9 Feb 2006, at 08:43, sulriel wrote:

                                          > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
                                          > > Can we officially call this issue settled, then? Nominated authors
                                          > get > voting privileges, everyone else has to join to vote (and
                                          > everyone, > even authors, has to join to nominate).
                                          > >
                                          > > I think we can then call this post-mortem officially closed. That
                                          > was > the last topic I had. I still need to come up with lists of
                                          > categories, > events, etc. for the nomination form, and I may post
                                          > those here when > I'm done to let people add something major if I
                                          > forget it -- but > otherwise, I think it's time we all take a break
                                          > and start getting > mentally geared up for next year.
                                          > > > If I did forget anything, feel free to let me know.
                                          > > > Thanks,> Marta>
                                          >

                                          > Marta, that all sounds good, - the post-mortem seemed like a lot of
                                          > work, but I think it's a good sign that people care.

                                          Agreed on both counts. In many ways I'm glad it's over, but I'm of
                                          course *very* thankful for all the people who participated. I'd name
                                          names here but I'm sure I'd forget someone. Thank you, all of you.

                                          > - apologies to Marta and all for disappearing.  I've had sick kids
                                          > and sick horses - ...  stranded yesterday at Wal-mart in a new-tire
                                          > fiasco, (the only thing that made it tolerable was the amazing fact
                                          > that the 'tire-guy' was kind, courteous and knowledgeable!!!)  while
                                          > I was there the school called for me to come pick up the youngest
                                          > with 101 fever - and we got home to find the mare that I've been
                                          > worried about was down and unable to deliver - necrotic foal was mal-
                                          > positioned - it will be about a week before we know what long term
                                          > effects the mare have from this.   ... :(

                                          Don't worry about it. These things happen to all of us.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 9, 2006
                                            On 9 Feb 2006, at 12:46, Kathy wrote:

                                            > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Can we officially call this issue settled, then? Nominated authors
                                            > > get voting privileges, everyone else has to join to vote (and
                                            > > everyone, even authors, has to join to nominate).
                                            > >
                                            > > I think we can then call this post-mortem officially closed.
                                            >
                                            > Do we pop the champagne cork now? :D
                                            >
                                            > Kathy (Inkling)

                                            Yep, something strong and grape-derived is definitely in order... for
                                            everyone who saw this thing through. I'm impressed.

                                            Marta
                                          • rhapsody_the_bard
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 10, 2006
                                              --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:

                                              >>> Do we pop the champagne cork now? :D
                                              >>
                                              > Yep, something strong and grape-derived is definitely in order...
                                              > for everyone who saw this thing through. I'm impressed.

                                              Good and I can drink alcohol again! What a great timing! When does
                                              nomination season starts? *dives under the table for cover* ;c)

                                              Rhapsody
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 10, 2006
                                                > When does
                                                > nomination season starts? *dives under the table for cover* ;c)

                                                I'm sure you're half-joking, but here's the serious question if
                                                anyone's interested: not before April 1. That's when it started last
                                                year. But I'm not in any rush, and if Anthony needs more time for
                                                programming we may push it back to April 15 or May 1.

                                                Marta
                                              • dwimmer_laik
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 11, 2006
                                                  --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:

                                                  > > When does
                                                  > > nomination season starts? *dives under the table for cover* ;c)
                                                  > >

                                                  > I'm sure you're half-joking, but here's the serious question if
                                                  > anyone's interested: not before April 1. That's when it started last
                                                  > year. But I'm not in any rush, and if Anthony needs more time for
                                                  > programming we may push it back to April 15 or May 1.
                                                  >
                                                  > Marta

                                                  May is good. April 15 is tax day and so automatically evil.

                                                  Dwim
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 11, 2006
                                                    On 11 Feb 2006, at 11:36, dwimmer_laik wrote:

                                                    > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > When does
                                                    > > >  nomination season starts? *dives under the table for cover* ;c)
                                                    > > >

                                                    > > I'm sure you're half-joking, but here's the serious question if
                                                    > > anyone's interested: not before April 1. That's when it started last
                                                    > > year. But I'm not in any rush, and if Anthony needs more time for
                                                    > > programming we may push it back to April 15 or May 1.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Marta
                                                    > >

                                                    > May is good. April 15 is tax day and so automatically evil.
                                                    >
                                                    > Dwim

                                                    Excellent point about April 15. I'll see what Anthony thinks, and if
                                                    getting everything ready by April 1 will be stressful for him and he'd
                                                    like more time, we'll make it May 1.

                                                    We can always change the exact dates (and lengths, even) of any of the
                                                    different seasons. There's nothing to say we have to follow the exact
                                                    timeframe we did this year.

                                                    Marta
                                                  • Anthony Holder
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 11, 2006
                                                      > Excellent point about April 15. I'll see what Anthony thinks, and if
                                                      > getting everything ready by April 1 will be stressful for him and he'd
                                                      > like more time, we'll make it May 1.

                                                      I'm really not sure. I haven't done very much yet, but I have started
                                                      somewhat.

                                                      If I can be done by April 1, then we'll start it at that time.

                                                      Later,
                                                      Anthony
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 11, 2006
                                                        On 11 Feb 2006, at 16:03, Anthony Holder wrote:

                                                        > > Excellent point about April 15. I'll see what Anthony thinks, and if
                                                        > > getting everything ready by April 1 will be stressful for him and
                                                        > he'd
                                                        > > like more time, we'll make it May 1.
                                                        >
                                                        > I'm really not sure. I haven't done very much yet, but I have started
                                                        > somewhat.
                                                        >
                                                        > If I can be done by April 1, then we'll start it at that time.

                                                        Whatever you feel comfortable with. If it can be done by April 1 that
                                                        would be great, but I don't think postponing the start of nomination
                                                        season will be that great of a hardship.

                                                        Thanks,