Re: points and various voting matters

  • sulriel
    Message 1 of 67 , Jan 4, 2006
      --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@g...> wrote:
> [...]
      second place. But it> >>> occurs to me this may not be the best system
      because the larger> >>> categories were a lot more competitive. Think
      about it, in a> >>> sub-category with five stories the top 60% of
      stories received first,> >>> second, or third place, whereas in a sub-
      category with ten stories> >>> only> >>> the top 30% of stories
      received first, second, or third places. That> >>> means there will be
      more competition for the third place position in
      story will> >>> likely have a higher score than in a smaller category -
      which means> >>> stiffer competition for those honorable mention
      positions.

      > > I'm ok with the HMs being within a count or percent of the total
      > > points because I feel like it rewards the 'likability' of the
      story> > and correctly conveys the reader's votes. If there are 5
      stories in> > a cate or 20 .... if the point spread is so close, the
      HMs show what> > a close race it was, and I like that.

      > > What about making them be within a three points of first place
      > > instead of second? or the top ? % of the point spread? or
      within ? %> > points of first place?

      > I think these are likely to overly favor a smaller subcategory if
      > there's a "power-house" in a small category that drives the number
      of > points the first place story received way up. Let's say we want
      to > award within 20% of the points awarded to first place, and first
      place > receives 50 points. That means everything that receives 40 or
      more > points gets an honourable mention. <snipped>>

      *** oops - I didn't think of it working backwards like that. You're
      right. (although I think you mean *dis*favor a small subcate by your
      example?) ... I withdrawn my support from this option (unless someone
      else raises another point that changes my mind back :) )

      Sulriel
      Message 67 of 67 , Jan 14, 2006
        > Message: 10
        > Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:42:44 -0500
        > From: rabidsamfan <rabidsamfan@...>
        > Subject: Re: Re: Re: Author Review Blues
        >
        > Actually, someone did come up with numbers, which, IIRC, showed that
        > sometimes authors won as authors even when stories didn't. It sounded
        > like
        > this years system worked fairly well, to tell the truth, as far as how
        > author awards are grouped and all.
        >
        > I'd still like to go from the story review to the author review via a
        > link
        > if I could, though. *grin*

        Having read the stats, I agree withb you -- they were complicated and
        probably have some room for improvement, but they're not in as critical
        of condition as I thought at first.

        On the going from story review to author review -- I wouldn't have a
        problem with this, if Anthony has time. It would be nice to go to a
        form that allowed you to enter all the author reveiws at once like I
        described a few days ago, but if that's not possible I sstill wouldn't
        have any problem with what you're suggesting. Just so long as the
        actual story review isn't entered in the box where you would type the
        author review. :-)

        Cheers,