movieverse, canon, AU

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2005

      (I meant to post this last night but accidentally sent it to the wrong list.)

      I'm more than a bit behind on the posts, and I'll try to answer a few of them tonight.
      However, I think we're getting a bit circular, partially because we're either arguing the
      points more than needs to be for the point of these awards are, and partly because we're
      using the terms differently. We don't need to come up with a definitive answer to what
      canon is (for example), but we do need to look at what they'll mean in the context of these
      awards. That has a lot to do with how most people mean by them and less with what is
      rigorously "true".

      With that in mind, I propose the following distinctions. If you think they won't work, please
      feel free to reply.

      Movie-verse stories contain some plot element that follow an adaptation of JRRT's works
      rather than the books themselves where the two difer. A movieverse story may use the
      books to augment the movies in areas the movies do not address.

      Book-verse stories are just the opposite. They do not contain plot elements that follow an
      adaptation of JRRT's works rather than the books themselves where the two differ. It can
      use the movies to augment the books in areas the books are silent. In the case of different
      drafts and so on, the canon is either the published version of events, or the draft that the
      author identifies that they are following.. So if an author is writing about Celeborn-as-
      Teleri (as opposed to Celeborn-as-Sinda in the Silm), they are following book canon if they
      tell us they are going with that version of events. Unless specifically stated otherwise,
      readers can assume the author is following the version of events set forth in JRRT's books
      TH, LOTR, and (in the case of 1st-2nd Age events not laidout in TH or LOTR) the Silm.

      An AU story is a purposeful attempt to ask "what if" the canon material had been different.
      Basing a story around a different draft than the publoished books doesn't make it AU, it
      just means you're following a different canon. Both movieverse and bookverse stories can
      be AU -- for instance, Eowyn stays with Theoden to fight the Wargs on the way to Helm's
      Deep (movieverse) or Gollum is killed trying to escape from Mirkwood (bookverse,
      probably).