Re: [MEFAwards] Post-Mortem Topic #1: Number of Nominations

  • aelfwina@cableone.net
    Message 1 of 116 , Nov 1, 2005
      Personally, I like #2. Some people entered dozens of nominations, others
      only one or two.

      I think a fairly high cap--say ten or twelve--would be easiest. Some people
      still would only nom one or two, but people who nominated many more would
      have to stop and decide just which ones they *really* wanted. If you are
      concerned about drabbles (and possibly poetry), perhaps have an additional
      cap: something along the lines of 10 total nominations of regular stories,
      with up to 15 nominations, only nine of which could be regular stories. (So
      one could nom nine short stories, and up to six drabbles and/or poems).

      The idea of having to vote for your nommed stories seems reasonable to me,
      but then that was the first thing I did anyway. Why nom something you have
      no intention of voting for? But I can see how that would be problematical
      with self-nominated stories...

      I also don't like the idea of limiting it to stories from the current year.
      There are a good many older stories that *still* have possibilities. The
      idea that perhaps the writer may no longer be in the fandom isn't really a
      problem. Since authors have to confirm a story, then if they don't have an
      interest any more they will not confirm it--that automatically cuts down on
      stories.

      Dreamflower

      Message 116 of 116 , Nov 6, 2005
        Hi Chris,

        On 3 Nov 2005, at 20:56, Chris Grzonka wrote:

        > > Because everyone has been
        > > reading them all year there is no need for a reading season. We
        > added that
        > > the first year of the MEFAs to give people a chance to read stories
        > posted
        > > to archives they did not usually read.
        >
        > I knew a lot of the nominated stories, but to write a review I still
        > had to
        > read at least part of it again.

        I can understand that. I'm not sure if something's wrong with my memory
        ;-) but I can't remember stories properly either! I think a lot of
        people try to re-read at least part of a story. Or at least I hope I'm
        not alone in that!

        So the period of the awards that was previously called reading season
        and voting season will be at least as long as it is now. It will
        probably get just a bit longer if we decide to shorten nomination
        season. I think that calling the whole thing voting season would make
        it more clear that people can vote for stories during what was formerly
        called reading season.

        > I didn't want to go back to the site where
        > the story is archived and read my original review to some of the
        > stories to
        > just repost it again. I thought it unfair to the author. But to write
        > something new I still had to read the story again. Unless I betaed a
        > story,
        > than I knew it by heart<g>. So, no matter that I knew stories I still
        > needed
        > time to read.

        Thanks for that! I received a few of your reviews and really loved the
        new feedback. As I'm awful about leaving feedback at the original
        archives this isn't such a point for me.

        This is something that came up in a lot of reviews. People would say
        they were copying (or adapting) their review from such-and-such a
        sight, and I understand the need to get as many reviews done. I'm not
        saying people shouldn't be allowed to do this - but that I do enjoy the
        new reviews as well.

        > > In 2004 the volunteers had to copy each vote into
        > > Word, do a character count (using Word's word count feature), look
        > at a
        > > table to see how many points that character count got, and record
        > the
        > > information in an Excel document. Lots of behind-the-scenes work.
        >
        > This sounds very cumbersome. Thanks to Anthony for the nifty web
        > site<g>.

        Oh yes! A series of family emergencies meant I couldn't participate in
        the voting part of last year, but from what I've heard it was very work
        intensive. That's why it took two weeks. (Another season that perhaps
        we need to re-evaluate - we certainly needed two weeks to check and
        compute results originally, even if we don't now.)

        Anyway, I've heard the stories... and YES. I cannot say it enough.
        Thank you, Anthony.

        Cheers,
        Marta

        *****
        "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our greatest fear is
        that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness
        that most frightens us. [...] As we let our own light shine, we
        unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

        (Nelson Mandela)