Author Reviews 9/6/2005

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
      5 Final Author Reviews Today

      Author: Aratlithiel · ID: 231 · Books/Time: Post-Ring War (142): General
      Reviewer: Cuthalion · 2005-09-06 17:32:00
      The first story I ever read by Aratlithiel was "Of dwarvish ale and battle scars", and it made me laugh out loud. The next one is nominated this year ("In the Sammath Naur"), and it made me gasp in horror and awe at the same time before I started to cry. Aratlithiel is a writer of complex, strong feelings, of deep darkness and blazing light. "Her" hobbits may not always be exactly like Tolkien wrote them (her Frodo is strong and mature - very tolkien-ish! - but he has also a quality of mischief and a hearty lust for life I sometimes missed in the books), and her Merry and Pippin in "Duet" are a wonder to read. Every new tale from this author has the power to surprise me and to let me hunger for more - and that's a rare gift.
      Author: illyria-pffyffin · ID: 363 · Books/Time: Gap-Filler (58): General
      Reviewer: Cuthalion · 2005-09-06 17:40:22
      If it were possible to compare authors to music instruments, illyria pffyffin would probably be a harp... her language (and she's not a native speaker!) is often piercingly beautiful (watch the poetic beauty in "Dusk Singer") and it always touches the heart. She is a mistress of tender relationships - whether she describes the strong, deep love between Merry and Frodo in "Prayer" (the first tale from her I ever read) or Bilbo's nearly helpless wish to help a grieving Frodo in "Hand in Hand". Her imagery is exquisite, the love for "her" heroes is unerring and palpable in every skillfully woven sentence. Every new tale from her is a pure delight.
      Author: Rabidsamfan · ID: 380 · Books/Time: The Lord of The Rings (111): General
      Reviewer: Cuthalion · 2005-09-06 18:02:07
      There was a time when rabidsamfan posted a drabble nearly every day; I became used to reading one every morning with my first cup of coffee. I know why I call her the "Mistress of Drabbles" - she is able to create true revelations with 100 words where others (me included) need 1000 to do the same.She has the precious ability to "nail" a character with one single line, and her last sentences are legendary.

      Her "longer" tales sometimes nearly disappear behind her art of drabbling; "The Ringbearer and the Rose" is and will always be one of my favorite fanfictions, and her "Errand Lad" still makes me wait (as patiently as possible) for the next installment. Even when she frees herself from the 100-words-limit, she sets her images carefully and precisely... no sentence too much, none to less. This power is one of the reasons that constantly draws me back to her stories... beside the fact that she still helps me to learn how to improve my own writing. She is a brilliant author, a warm-hearted wordsmith and a clever and patient teacher. I'm glad to know her work and I'm eagerly waiting for every new tale she writes.
      Author: pipkinsweetgrass · ID: 157 · Books/Time: Post-Ring War (142): Incomplete
      Reviewer: Garnet Took · 2005-09-06 21:10:59
      Not having read the first version of this story, I must say that I am enjoying the second very much. This is probably the most positive and uplifting "Boromir Survives" story that I have seen. I like the characterizations very much. I even find myself caring about poor Boromir, a character I normally ignore as much as possible. I look forward to continued updates to this story.

      Thanks.
      Author: Dreamflower · ID: 115 · Books/Time: Post-Ring War (142): Incomplete
      Reviewer: Garnet Took · 2005-09-06 21:17:13
      This has become one of my "must read" stories. Dreamflower has created a detailed plot and well developed characters. It doesn't matter to me any more that few of them are major players from the books. They stand very well on their own.

      The subplot with the prisoners has me constantly on edge trying to figure out what they are going to do.

      I also really like all the Big Folk in this one, and that is from a confirmed hobbit lover.

      Looking forward to the day when we are once again blessed with an update to this tale.

      Thanks.

      End
    • Connie B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        Hi. <sheepishly peeking around a corner>

        I don't know if it was something I did wrong, or what, but the two reviews I did were not meant to be author reviews. I thought I did them just like my story reviews. Now I'm confused. Do I have to change this? Can it be changed? I am a total computer inept. I'm afraid to touch anything now. I'm afraid I'll screw it up again. I was planning on doing some more reviews today, but now I'm unsure of myself.

        Help, please. <slipping back into my little corner>

        Garnet Took.

      • Connie B.
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
          Now I really feel like the dullest tool in the shed. I see that I hit the author review button instead of the story review button. Can this be fixed? I'll afraid to mess with it. I'll just have to make sure I'm awake from now on when I review.

          Thanks.

          Garnet Took.