Word counting

  • obsidianjj
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
      Hi,

      I joined the list a few days ago and have started writing some
      reviews.

      But now I'm a bit confused as to how the words are counted. I started
      to write a little Review and saved it. I got a page where the number
      of words was listed, but it had roughtly about 100 words more than I
      could count on my own. I noticed it because I was interrupted and had
      written about 20 words. I was surprised that my little sentence was
      supposed to have that many words(123).

      Any explanations?

      Chris
    • Larian Elensar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
        It doesn't count words, it counts *characters* So each letter counts for 1.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
          Hi Chris,

          On 2 Jul 2005, at 20:09, obsidianjj wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I joined the list a few days ago and have started writing some
          > reviews.
          >
          > But now I'm a bit confused as to how the words are counted. I started
          > to write a little Review and saved it. I got a page where the number
          > of words was listed, but it had roughtly about 100 words more than I
          > could count on my own. I noticed it because I was interrupted and had
          > written about 20 words. I was surprised that my little sentence was
          > supposed to have that many words(123).
          >
          > Any explanations?
          >
          > Chris

          The count that you're seeing isn't the word count; it's actually the
          character count. MEFA comments are scored based on the number of
          characters they contain, not counting spaces.

          So twenty words might roughly be 120 characters -- that would be six
          characters a word, which seems reasonable.

          Marta
          *****
          Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - St. Francis
          of Assisi

        • Chris Grzonka
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
            Duh, I should learn to read what is on the paper and not substitute with
            what I think is there<g>.

            Thanks to everyone who answered so quickly. It makes much more sense now.

            Chris
          • Silver Wolf101
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2005
              Was it the number of characters you were looking at, rather than words?