Re: OT: Help with setting Language preferences in Word

  • Leaward
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
      AHA! And then I pressed 'change default' and that did it! Thanks
      ... trust Microsoft to bury stuff like that! It used to be easier on
      the older versions, I swear!

      Lea

    • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
        I do it the way that Rabidsamfan said, but one thing to watch is it changing back to U.S. English on its own. If I open a Word doc sent to me by someone in the U.S. for some reason it almost always reverts back to U.S. English, which is what was used when the document was created, and I have to reset it again.

        Mari

        --
        Marigold's Red Book
        www.berryarts.com/marigold

        Marigold's Recommendations Page
        http://www.geocities.com/marigoldsrecommendations/

        Marigold's Live Journal
        http://www.livejournal.com/users/marigoldg/

        Tales of The Red Book
        http://www.livejournal.com/users/talesofredbook/

        There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

        Sam, in Mordor, RoTK
      • C Dodd
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
          More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and she
          wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
          computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
          from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
          you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

        • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
            Oh, I don't know...I will ask Llinos. The computer I use at home is my
            husband's, and so didn't come over from America. I do use my laptop
            both places though and have had no trouble with the converter. I'll
            chack and get back to you tomorrow...

            Hugs,

            Mari

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
              > >More OT.  I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and
              > she
              > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
              > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
              > from blowing up?  Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
              > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

              I did a term abroad, at Keele Uni. in England (I'm natively from
              America). I know for a fact that you can plug a computer, at least a
              laptop, into a UK outlet with the use of a special prong. The UK
              outlets have a different arrangements of holes that you plug into, so
              an American plug wouldn't fit. With a laptop, however, there's already
              a transformer in the power cord that compensates for the differing
              voltages of UK and US power outlets.

              I didn't use a sewing machine so I'm not sure, but I guess there have
              to be plugs that have transformers that you could use for that. I'd
              just ask at an electronics shop -- preferably a small one like Radio
              Shack, or a locally owned one if there's one where you live. (You don't
              want to struggle with employees not knowing how to answer your
              questions, like you're liable to get at Best Buy or one of the bigger
              stores.) Just explain that you're going to the UK and want to know if a
              certain appliance will work. Don't forget to bring the appliance's
              specs. Maker and model number. If it isn't too bulky I'd bring the
              machine, or at least the power cord, wiht you.

              Marta
              *****
              Home is where you hang your @.

            • Leaward
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
                I've done it the other way around ... from Canada to England, and
                Marta is right, you can buy converters that will allow you to plug
                your appliance in to the other country's power and it'll adjust it.
                You have to make sure you buy the right converter -- Australia, Italy
                and England all have different plugs than North America. Just to keep
                things interesting :D

                But I know the DVD/VHS system is different, you can't put a North
                American tape into an English one who uses a different scanning system
                called PAL. (There's a useless bit of information for tonight...)

                Lea

                --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@g...> wrote:
                > > >More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and
                > > she
                > > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
                > > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
                > > from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
                > > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...
                > >

                > I did a term abroad, at Keele Uni. in England (I'm natively from
                > America). I know for a fact that you can plug a computer, at least a
                > laptop, into a UK outlet with the use of a special prong. The UK
                > outlets have a different arrangements of holes that you plug into, so
                > an American plug wouldn't fit. With a laptop, however, there's already
                > a transformer in the power cord that compensates for the differing
                > voltages of UK and US power outlets.
                >
                > I didn't use a sewing machine so I'm not sure, but I guess there have
                > to be plugs that have transformers that you could use for that. I'd
                > just ask at an electronics shop -- preferably a small one like Radio
                > Shack, or a locally owned one if there's one where you live. (You don't
                > want to struggle with employees not knowing how to answer your
                > questions, like you're liable to get at Best Buy or one of the bigger
                > stores.) Just explain that you're going to the UK and want to know if a
                > certain appliance will work. Don't forget to bring the appliance's
                > specs. Maker and model number. If it isn't too bulky I'd bring the
                > machine, or at least the power cord, wiht you.
                >
                > Marta
                > *****
                > Home is where you hang your @.

              • fliewatuet
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
                  Take a look at the information on the power supply unit. My notebook
                  power supply unit, for example, says something like 'AC 100 - 240V', so
                  this works both in Europe (where you have 230V AC) and in America (where
                  you have 110V AC). If the larger number is smaller than 220/230V, she
                  should get herself a transformer. If she doesn't need extra
                  transformers, the easiest thing is usually to simply buy a new power
                  cord (if they are not permanently attached to the power supply unit),
                  though she would have to do that in the UK. We have bought a US power
                  cord for our notebook and that's much less of a hassle than dealing with
                  the adapter plugs.

                  Hope that helps,

                  fliewatuet

                  C Dodd wrote:
                  > More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and she
                  > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
                  > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
                  > from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
                  > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

                  --
                  www.livejournal.com/users/fliewatuet
                • C Dodd
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
                    Oh, excellent. Thank you. I'll let her know.