Re: [MEFAwards] OT: Help with setting Language preferences in Word

  • C Dodd
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
      You don't have to reinstall. In word, Under Tools, go to Options.
      Under options go to the tab for Spelling and Grammer. Click on the
      button for Custom Dictionary. At the bottom of the next box there's a
      drop down menu for language. Find English UK and that should re-set
      Word.

      On 6/3/05, Leaward <leaward_l@...> wrote:
      > My wonderful husband recently bought me a new computer for Mother's
      > Day to replace my ancient one, and with the upgraded software, I've
      > been having some problems with Word (version 2003) Since I'm in
      > Canada, I want to have my spelling dictionary to check for UK
      > spellings, not US spellings.
      >
      > I checked with Word's help and it says that since it's XP I have to
      > change the set up for language preferences in the Control Panel, which
      > I've done. But when I change my language preference to UK, then it
      > changes my keyboard settings and instead of getting double quotes when
      > I press that key, I get an @ sign. I'm getting frustrated because I
      > don't want my keyboard to change, simply the dictionary Word is using.
      >
      > Any experts out there have a clue how I can easily do that? Or will I
      > simply have to enter all the different UK spellings into the Custom
      > Dictionary?

    • Leaward
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
        AHA! And then I pressed 'change default' and that did it! Thanks
        ... trust Microsoft to bury stuff like that! It used to be easier on
        the older versions, I swear!

        Lea

      • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
          I do it the way that Rabidsamfan said, but one thing to watch is it changing back to U.S. English on its own. If I open a Word doc sent to me by someone in the U.S. for some reason it almost always reverts back to U.S. English, which is what was used when the document was created, and I have to reset it again.

          Mari

          --
          Marigold's Red Book
          www.berryarts.com/marigold

          Marigold's Recommendations Page
          http://www.geocities.com/marigoldsrecommendations/

          Marigold's Live Journal
          http://www.livejournal.com/users/marigoldg/

          Tales of The Red Book
          http://www.livejournal.com/users/talesofredbook/

          There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

          Sam, in Mordor, RoTK
        • C Dodd
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
            More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and she
            wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
            computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
            from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
            you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

          • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
              Oh, I don't know...I will ask Llinos. The computer I use at home is my
              husband's, and so didn't come over from America. I do use my laptop
              both places though and have had no trouble with the converter. I'll
              chack and get back to you tomorrow...

              Hugs,

              Mari

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
                > >More OT.  I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and
                > she
                > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
                > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
                > from blowing up?  Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
                > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

                I did a term abroad, at Keele Uni. in England (I'm natively from
                America). I know for a fact that you can plug a computer, at least a
                laptop, into a UK outlet with the use of a special prong. The UK
                outlets have a different arrangements of holes that you plug into, so
                an American plug wouldn't fit. With a laptop, however, there's already
                a transformer in the power cord that compensates for the differing
                voltages of UK and US power outlets.

                I didn't use a sewing machine so I'm not sure, but I guess there have
                to be plugs that have transformers that you could use for that. I'd
                just ask at an electronics shop -- preferably a small one like Radio
                Shack, or a locally owned one if there's one where you live. (You don't
                want to struggle with employees not knowing how to answer your
                questions, like you're liable to get at Best Buy or one of the bigger
                stores.) Just explain that you're going to the UK and want to know if a
                certain appliance will work. Don't forget to bring the appliance's
                specs. Maker and model number. If it isn't too bulky I'd bring the
                machine, or at least the power cord, wiht you.

                Marta
                *****
                Home is where you hang your @.

              • Leaward
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2005
                  I've done it the other way around ... from Canada to England, and
                  Marta is right, you can buy converters that will allow you to plug
                  your appliance in to the other country's power and it'll adjust it.
                  You have to make sure you buy the right converter -- Australia, Italy
                  and England all have different plugs than North America. Just to keep
                  things interesting :D

                  But I know the DVD/VHS system is different, you can't put a North
                  American tape into an English one who uses a different scanning system
                  called PAL. (There's a useless bit of information for tonight...)

                  Lea

                  --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta Layton <melayton@g...> wrote:
                  > > >More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and
                  > > she
                  > > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
                  > > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
                  > > from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
                  > > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...
                  > >

                  > I did a term abroad, at Keele Uni. in England (I'm natively from
                  > America). I know for a fact that you can plug a computer, at least a
                  > laptop, into a UK outlet with the use of a special prong. The UK
                  > outlets have a different arrangements of holes that you plug into, so
                  > an American plug wouldn't fit. With a laptop, however, there's already
                  > a transformer in the power cord that compensates for the differing
                  > voltages of UK and US power outlets.
                  >
                  > I didn't use a sewing machine so I'm not sure, but I guess there have
                  > to be plugs that have transformers that you could use for that. I'd
                  > just ask at an electronics shop -- preferably a small one like Radio
                  > Shack, or a locally owned one if there's one where you live. (You don't
                  > want to struggle with employees not knowing how to answer your
                  > questions, like you're liable to get at Best Buy or one of the bigger
                  > stores.) Just explain that you're going to the UK and want to know if a
                  > certain appliance will work. Don't forget to bring the appliance's
                  > specs. Maker and model number. If it isn't too bulky I'd bring the
                  > machine, or at least the power cord, wiht you.
                  >
                  > Marta
                  > *****
                  > Home is where you hang your @.

                • fliewatuet
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
                    Take a look at the information on the power supply unit. My notebook
                    power supply unit, for example, says something like 'AC 100 - 240V', so
                    this works both in Europe (where you have 230V AC) and in America (where
                    you have 110V AC). If the larger number is smaller than 220/230V, she
                    should get herself a transformer. If she doesn't need extra
                    transformers, the easiest thing is usually to simply buy a new power
                    cord (if they are not permanently attached to the power supply unit),
                    though she would have to do that in the UK. We have bought a US power
                    cord for our notebook and that's much less of a hassle than dealing with
                    the adapter plugs.

                    Hope that helps,

                    fliewatuet

                    C Dodd wrote:
                    > More OT. I have a friend who might be getting a job in the UK and she
                    > wants to know if she'd be able to bring her sewing machine and
                    > computer -- are there transformers good enough to keep US electronics
                    > from blowing up? Since you moved there recently and it sounds like
                    > you've got your computer on, I thought you'd know...

                    --
                    www.livejournal.com/users/fliewatuet
                  • C Dodd
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 5, 2005
                      Oh, excellent. Thank you. I'll let her know.