Voting Early

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29 3:33 PM
      Ainae had one suggestion that she repeated often last year: vote early!

      Last year, as soon as stories were announced you could "vote early" by
      jotting down in a word processor what you were going to vote. This lets
      you vote for more stories, because you have all of reading season.

      This year it's even better. Log in to the MEFA2005 site, find the story
      you want to vote for, and click the link to vote for that story. If you
      select the "final" status you don't have to worry about voting for that
      story during voting season; you've already voted! When voting season
      rolls around, other people will be able to see your "final" vote, and
      it will be posted to this Yahoo group. You can change a final review up
      until the end of reading season.

      There are two other statuses for your reviews, btw. If you mark it as
      tentative, the vote won't be counted until the end of voting season,
      and you can change it all through voting season. Draft reviews aren't
      counted, unless they're later changed to tentative or final.

      Anyway, there are lots of ways to vote early this year. Take advantage
      of it! There have been over a thousand stories nominated, and this will
      help you vote for as many stories as possible.

      Marta
      *****
    • Ariel
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29 3:50 PM
        Marta -

        So we will be able to read other folk's votes on the database? I hope
        so. I couldn't keep up with all the emails on the yahoo group, but
        those votes I did see helped clue me onto stories I might like in genres
        I don't normally read.

        Ariel

        www.bagendwest.net

[...]

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29 4:06 PM
          On 29 Apr 2005, at 18:50, Ariel wrote:

          > Marta -
          >

          > So we will be able to read other folk's votes on the database?  I hope
          > so.

          Eventually. Right now, you can only see your own votes. I *think* that
          you will be able to see final votes at any time during voting season,
          and final and tentative votes at any point after nomination season.
          (I'm sure Ainae or Anthony will correct me if I'm wrong.)

          > I couldn't keep up with all the emails on the yahoo group, but
          > those votes I did see helped clue me onto stories I might like in
          > genres
          > I don't normally read.

          Ainae collected all of last year's votes and put them up on her
          website: http://gabrielle.sytes.net/mefa/2004comments.html . So if
          you're so inclined you can see them there.

          But I do understand your problem! I struggled to keep up with it, too.

          Marta
          *****

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29 5:15 PM
            On 30 Apr 2005, at 20:04, <aelfwina@...> wrote:

            > LOL! I started voting as soon as the nominations began to show up.
            > They have already gotten *way* beyond me!  But last year I was only
            > able to post a mere handful of votes.  I am already ahead of last
            > year!
            > Dreamflower

            The same here. I think we'll all have to be pretty selective with what
            we vote for, and what categories we try to concentrate our efforts. I
            know I will never be able to vote for everything nominated; I just look
            forward to voting for as many as I can, and having lots of good
            recommendations for next winter. :-)

            Marta
            *****

          • Cats and Werecats
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29 9:56 PM
              Is there a page where we can see our votes, once we have
              submitted them?

              I ask because I have a tendency to forget where I have placed
              things...

              Werecat

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29 11:57 PM
                That's the plan. We'll post digest of votes during Voting Season like I'm
                posting digests of nominations during Nomination Season. Hopefully, without
                the glitches. ;-)

                --Ainaechoiriel
                MEFA Admin and Founder

                http://gabrielle.sytes.net/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards

                Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30 10:28 AM
                  On 30 Apr 2005, at 00:56, Cats and Werecats wrote:

                  > Is there a page where we can see our votes, once we have
                  > submitted them?
                  >
                  > I ask because I have a tendency to forget where I have placed
                  > things...
                  >
                  > Werecat

                  Hi Werecat,

                  Unfortunately, there's not one page. That might be something to
                  consider for next year.

                  But you *can* see whether you've voted for a story or not already. In
                  the list of stories, there's a link to the right of each story listing.
                  The vote will either read "vote now" or "edit your vote". If it says
                  "edit your vote" that means you've already voted for the story.

                  Marta
                  *****

                • Ariel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30 11:49 AM
                    I would like to add a second on this request. I have already found fics
                    that I had written tentative reviews on and forgot that I had. A filter
                    which only showed the fics you had voted on without having to look
                    through the entire list would be a great help even if it can't be
                    implemented until next year.

                    Ariel

                    www.bagendwest.net

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30 1:14 PM
                      On 30 Apr 2005, at 14:49, Ariel wrote:

                      > I would like to add a second on this request.  I have already found
                      > fics
                      > that I had written tentative reviews on and forgot that I had.  A
                      > filter
                      > which only showed the fics you had voted on without having to look
                      > through the entire list would be a great help even if it can't be
                      > implemented until next year.

                      I've created a database (I *do* love those things...) to help us keep
                      up with these ideas. It's called "Wish List - 2006" and only has four
                      fields

                      * Name of person making suggestion - self-explanatory
                      * Suggestee's email - This is really optional. If you think you won't
                      be around next fall when we discuss ways to make the awards better, put
                      your email here and I'll try to let you know the final decision. No
                      promises, though.
                      * Date - This lets us know when the change was proposed, so we can go
                      back and search the archives. If necessary. Please use the form "April
                      29, 2005" so we can sort easier.
                      * Suggestion - Give a brief summary of the change you'd like to
                      consider.

                      This way, when it comes time to decide how to improve the awards for
                      next year, we won't overlook any of the suggestions. Feel free to add
                      website improvements, ways in which the FAQ can be improved, categories
                      you'd like to see added, procedural ideas to make things run more
                      smoothly, or anything else you want to discuss after the awards are
                      over.

                      I've added this idea, and one of my own that I mentioned earlier.

                      Marta
                      *****

                    • Elena Tiriel
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30 2:53 PM
                        Hi Marta!

                        Here's my suggestion:

                        - Elena Tiriel
                        - ElenaTiriel@...
                        - April 30, 2005
                        - I would like to see an alphabetical index of all lists (e.g. by story, by
                        author). Currently, you can click on an index based upon page number, but
                        not on alphabet. This came up when I was looking up several authors that
                        all began with "M" - I just wanted to go to the proper part of the list with
                        one click, then browse from there.

                        HTH,
                        Barbara

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30 3:28 PM
                          On 30 Apr 2005, at 17:53, Elena Tiriel wrote:

                          > Hi Marta!
                          >
                          > Here's my suggestion:
                          >
                          > - Elena Tiriel
                          > - ElenaTiriel@...
                          > - April 30, 2005
                          > - I would like to see an alphabetical index of all lists (e.g. by
                          > story, by
                          > author).  Currently, you can click on an index based upon page
                          > number, but
                          > not on alphabet.  This came up when I was looking up several authors
                          > that
                          > all began with "M" - I just wanted to go to the proper part of the
                          > list with
                          > one click, then browse from there.

                          Hey Barbara,

                          I've added this to the database. Thanks.

                          Marta
                          *****

                        • aelfwina@cableone.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30 5:04 PM