Comments on the comments ;-)

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20, 2004
      Ainae-

      I just checked out the comments you have posted at the website. Very
      nice, and thank you for all the time you took to put those pages
      together. Of course, being me, I do have two "constructive comments".
      (The beta in me will never rest, I'm afraid.) You might consider
      indeningt the titles of the stories, either the first line or the
      following lines - as it is right now, it's not always immediately
      obvious where one title ends and the next begins.

      Also, it would be really helpful if you could include the summary of
      the story. I'm not sure how easy this would be to do with your mail
      merge, but it would help those of us with bad memories remember what
      story is being discussed. It would also help potential readers who
      didn't participate in the awards decide if they want to read the story
      or not. And it would spruce up the pages where the story wasn't
      commented on.

      But besides those two quibbles, I like it. Thanks!

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2004
        Indentations can't be done in HTML. Unless there's been some update in new
        HTML since I learned it several years ago. And really, I'm not trying to
        make this harder on myself. I've put a lot of my life on hold for the
        MEFAwards. Especially toward the end. It's cost me. And I still have author
        comments to do. And, believe it or not, the author frame takes more work
        than the comments frame does. Because I have to do a lot of tweaking after
        the mail merge.

        Summaries, I could do. But they have to go on the same page with the
        comments.

        --Ainaechoiriel
        MEFA Admin and Founder

        http://gabrielle.sytes.net/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards
        Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wx3olB/TM
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 20, 2004
          I found a compromise. I made each author's listing into an unordered list.
          So there should be bulleted now.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 21, 2004
            --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Ainaechoiriel" <mefaadmin@e...>
            wrote:
            > Indentations can't be done in HTML. Unless there's been some update
            in new
            > HTML since I learned it several years ago.

            Right! I'm afraid my knowledge of HTML begins and ends with those tags
            allowable in HASA forums and stories. I really am clueless about the
            intricacies of it. Sorry I suggested the undoable. (Though the
            bulleted list seems like a great compromise. Good idea!)

            > And really, I'm not trying to
            > make this harder on myself. I've put a lot of my life on hold for
            the
            > MEFAwards. Especially toward the end. It's cost me.

            I know. And believe me, I appreciate it. I wasn't trying to complain
            or seem ungrateful for all of your work, though I appreciate that it
            may have come across that way.

            I *really* appreciate all the time you've taken to put the comments
            together. These are certainly non-critical suggestions. You can hold
            off implementing them, if you ever decide to.

            > And I still have author
            > comments to do. And, believe it or not, the author frame takes more
            work
            > than the comments frame does. Because I have to do a lot of
            tweaking after
            > the mail merge.

            I can understand that. Thanks for all your effort.

            > Summaries, I could do. But they have to go on the same page with
            the
            > comments.

            Right, that's what I was seeing. So something like:

            [Title]

            [Summary]

            [Comments]

            Thanks for considering these suggestions. I really have not been
            involved in the MEFAs admin-wise since categorizing, so I don't know
            what's going on behind the scenes. Make of these suggestions what you
            will - you know best what can and should be done.

            Btw, when I'm critical of something, it usually means I like it.
            Things that I don't like, I don't bother critiquing. I know, it's
            weird. :-)

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 21, 2004
              >Right! I'm afraid my knowledge of HTML begins and ends with those tags
              allowable in HASA forums and stories. I really am clueless about the
              intricacies of it. Sorry I suggested the undoable. (Though the bulleted list
              seems like a great compromise. Good idea!)

              Thanks. I thought about it for awhile and I needed something I could use
              Find and Replace with to set the titles apart. I don't want to edit HTML
              line by line.

              >I know. And believe me, I appreciate it. I wasn't trying to complain or
              seem ungrateful for all of your work, though I appreciate that it may have
              come across that way.

              >I *really* appreciate all the time you've taken to put the comments
              together. These are certainly non-critical suggestions. You can hold off
              implementing them, if you ever decide to.

              Thanks. I'm almost scared sometimes to catch up, like with my Quicken. Have
              I forgotten to record some transactions? Have I forgotten to make some
              payments.... Let's hope now. ;-)

              > Summaries, I could do. But they have to go on the same page with
              the
              > comments.
              >

              >Right, that's what I was seeing. So something like:

              That was easy (so long as the right summaries match up with the titles)
              because all I had to do was copy one column from one spreadsheet to another.
              Then merge and poof, there it is.

              >Thanks for considering these suggestions. I really have not been involved
              in the MEFAs admin-wise since categorizing, so I don't know what's going on
              behind the scenes. Make of these suggestions what you will - you know best
              what can and should be done.

              Well, the Staff list still exists but not much goes on there right now.
              Basically everyone but Viv and I were done after the counting. Viv finished
              yesterday (adding the bars to the images) and I will finish as soon as the
              author comments are done. Then we might even have a little breather before
              the Post Mortem.

              >Btw, when I'm critical of something, it usually means I like it.
              Things that I don't like, I don't bother critiquing. I know, it's weird. :-)

              ;-) Well, I fall somewhere in the middle there. If somethings really awful,
              it's just too overwhelming to critique. ;-)

              No hard feelings on this side!

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 24, 2004
                > Thanks. I thought about it for awhile and I needed something I
                could use
                > Find and Replace with to set the titles apart. I don't want to
                edit HTML
                > line by line.

                Oh yes! Automation is a Good Thing.

                > >I know. And believe me, I appreciate it. I wasn't trying to
                complain or
                > seem ungrateful for all of your work, though I appreciate that it
                may have
                > come across that way.
                >
                > >I *really* appreciate all the time you've taken to put the
                comments
                > together. These are certainly non-critical suggestions. You can
                hold off
                > implementing them, if you ever decide to.
                >
                > Thanks. I'm almost scared sometimes to catch up, like with my
                Quicken. Have
                > I forgotten to record some transactions? Have I forgotten to make
                some
                > payments.... Let's hope now. ;-)

                Lol, yes. I know that feeling. Kind of like "If I ever finish this
                C++ program and it doesn't work, then I know that there's something
                fundamentally wrong, not just a missing semicolon or bracket
                somewhere." It's a scary thought. ;-)

                > > Summaries, I could do. But they have to go on the same page with
                > the
                > > comments.
                > >

                > >Right, that's what I was seeing. So something like:
                >
                > That was easy (so long as the right summaries match up with the
                titles)
                > because all I had to do was copy one column from one spreadsheet
                to another.
                > Then merge and poof, there it is.

                Right. I thought you would have to pull information from two
                different tables; it never occurred to me to just copy and paste a
                column from one to the other. :-) You see how much I use Excel. (I
                remember during categorizing I had to be taught how to sort the
                entries instead of doing it manually...)

                > >Thanks for considering these suggestions. I really have not been
                involved
                > in the MEFAs admin-wise since categorizing, so I don't know what's
                going on
                > behind the scenes. Make of these suggestions what you will - you
                know best
                > what can and should be done.
                >
                > Well, the Staff list still exists but not much goes on there right
                now.
                > Basically everyone but Viv and I were done after the counting.
                Viv finished
                > yesterday (adding the bars to the images) and I will finish as
                soon as the
                > author comments are done. Then we might even have a little
                breather before
                > the Post Mortem.

                Here's hoping. You guys deservfe it, after all your hard work.

                > >Btw, when I'm critical of something, it usually means I like it.
                > Things that I don't like, I don't bother critiquing. I know, it's
                weird. :-)

                > ;-) Well, I fall somewhere in the middle there. If somethings
                really awful,
                > it's just too overwhelming to critique. ;-)

                Btw, keep that in mind when I make my post-mortem suggestions. I
                just have the kind of brain that sees the little tweaks that can
                really improve a process. I think you've done great for a first
                year, and I look forward to making sure year 2 works even better.

                I certainly don't think I'll be commenting on too much, but it never
                hurts to remind people of the spirit in which I'm offering my
                comments.

                > No hard feelings on this side!

                I'm glad to hear that. No hard feelings here, either.