Re: [MEFAwards] Men -- Official Voting Ballot

  • Larian Elensar
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 15, 2004
      > Men
      >
      > Official Voting Ballot

      Gondor
      MeG1: A Pale Light Lingering by Altariel

      No wonder Faramir's men loved him, he's honest, and yet not pessimistic. Loved
      the idea about the light starting with them in Ithilien.

      Gondor
      MeG4: Choices by Lindelea

      Wow! I simply loved this and have recommended it to several others so far. I'm
      not usually interested in reading men or hobbits, but the summary interested
      me. I was so glad I'd taken the time to read it. I never gave much thought to
      what Beregond went through while waiting to find out his fate. Now I won't be
      able to imagine anything else, I'm sure. My only piece of criticism is that,
      unless it's the difference between UK and US spellings, wagons (from chapter 2,
      I believe) only has one 'g'. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Beregond and
      Targon through your eyes. Very well done!

      Gondor
      MeG6: Death by Water by Altariel

      Great visual, the tidal wave demolishing Numenor, and tying that to Boromir's
      death and seeing him in the boat. Denethor really is one of my least favorite
      characters, I always think the absolute worst of him, I'm glad you could find
      some humanity left in him, and show how well Faramir understood him, and
      respected him, and even loved him. Kind of takes the edge off of my dislike.

      Gondor
      MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa

      Wow, emotional and touching but not overly...sticky. I mean, I think you
      captured the essence of all those left behind in a battle, and the survivors.
      They recognize the sacrifices that were made, and honor them, but know that
      they need to get on with their lives, so they do.

      Gondor
      MeG9: Homecoming by Nancy Brooke

      Yes, Boromir comes home, excellent interpretation!

      Poetry
      MeP6: I Ride by RennWench and Alstaria

      I love the whole rhythm of the piece, and Faramir's thoughts. How great it is
      that he is big enough to see that Gondor needs a king and that Aragorn is the
      right one to be King.

      Post-WOTR
      Me4-6: My Dark-haired Love by Avon

      It's a little strange to think of Eowyn being anything but...confident, even in
      Gondor. I suppose everyone has to have a place to be a little non-heroic
      though. Nice glimpse of two of my favorites!

      Post-WOTR
      Me4-7: Sufficient by Tanaqui

      I really liked this one. Not overachieving, but sufficient, and that's enough.
      Yes, sometimes it takes someone outside our family, or in this case, outside
      of our own race, to see positives where we see negatives. Meeting Legolas that
      morning was a good thing for Faramir.

      Post-WOTR
      Me4-9: The Unsung by Alexcat

      I always sniffle at this one. I am certain that Aragorn did feel helpless that
      could not save those who helped save the world for him and men.

      Me5: Kinsmen by Dwimordene

      Oh, this is a twist for me. I never thought about it much, but I guess they
      would have tried to preserve the line of Isildur. I really never considered
      that Halbarad would be Aragorn's son though. Nicely done.

      Me6: Night in Hollin by Nancy Brooke

      What a nice little moment of time with the fellowship. I loved how you showed
      Pippin and Merry already establishing a good relationship with Boromir. And I
      would have loved to see them all dancing!

      Me10: Through A Glass by Altariel

      Great visual, their hands meeting. Amazing how two such broken people can help
      make each other whole. Well done.
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 16, 2004
        Here we go again...

        > MeG3: Chance Meetings by Tanaqui

        For a piece dealing with sexual themes, there was surprisingly little
        sex in this piece. (Not that I expected any; your warning suggested
        there wouldn't be outright sex.) I'm always amazd by the depth of your
        stories, and how real the stories felt. You nailed the reactions
        between Denethor and Faramir, and between the other members of the
        council as well. I enjoyed this both whilst betaing it and reading it
        after it was published. Well done.

        > MeG4: Choices by Lindelea

        Interesting point of view, here. I had never really thought of
        Beregond under the troll, but you present an interesting account of
        him here.

        > MeG5: Courting the Lady by Celandine Brandybuck

        I loved this piece. We don't know much about Finduilas, but she seemed
        very reasonable for the period. Imrahil, too, is just how I think
        someone his age would have acted, and Thorongil's inner struggle for
        whether to claim the kingship felt very real. We all knew the outcome
        but you gave us lots of twists along the way.

        > MeG7: From the Other Riverbank by Dwimordene

        I don't usually read slash, especially not with incestuous pairings,
        but this came as close as any I have ever read to making such a
        scenario "work". It's so refreshing to see a piece treat the social
        implications seriously instead of just brushing them to the side.

        > MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa

        Nice work. It's nice to see an OFC who does not feel at all Sueish but
        at least fits nearly seamlessly into the established world.

        > MeP4: Eowyn, my fair one by Dwimordene

        This was hauntingly beautiful. And so Grima! I can see why Eowyn would
        be none-too-happy to attract his attentions.
      • dwimmer_laik
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 17, 2004
          Gondor

          MeG1: A Pale Light Lingering by Altariel

          Beautifully written, with that special combination of restraint and
          evocativeness that is trademark Altariel. There's a chill in the air
          of this story that goes beyond the depths of winter—the men are losing
          hope. Faramir may not be named Estel, but he is aptly named
          "sufficience". He may not ask the east wind for tidings, but in his
          turning tradition on its head, he reminds his company that the sun
          still rises, despite it all, and with it, hope. Well done!

          Gondor

          MeG2: Adrift by Altariel

          Although this story is a spin-off from a chapter of "Captain My
          Captain", it stands alone quite well. The narrator is a minor
          character who is brought to life, along with his siblings and Faramir
          with all the sensitivity and nuance I have come to expect of
          Altariel's fics.

          It depicts a family in the aftermath of war, and the pain and
          difficulty of coming to grips with loss, even or perhaps especially
          when that loss follows on years of a poor relationship. Nevertheless,
          Faramir's grief, gut-wrenching though it is, is quite restrained, and
          even understated. Done properly, as it is done here, that very
          restraint can treble the impact.

          This story to me echoes the real sense of helplessness that confronts
          a would-be comforter who realizes that there is no means of bearing
          the burden for the other, but only the need and ability to bear with.
          Compassionate, moving, and in the end hopeful, this is a powerful
          portrayal of the moment of grief and recovery that stays with the reader.

          Gondor

          MeG5: Courting The Lady by Celandine Brandybuck

          This must have been one of the earliest Finduilas/Denethor stories I
          ever picked up. It's certainly a change—I think Celandine and I may be
          fairly said to represent two different ends of the spectrum when it
          comes to Denethor and Finduilas, but I did so love this story for the
          epistolary interludes. It was fun to see this stage of their
          relationship, and the complications that my favorite Ranger can
          introduce into matters just by being present.

          Gondor

          MeG6: Death by Water by Altariel

          My knowledge of T.S. Eliot's poetry is almost wholly a consequence of
          this story and its companions. This was the first fic by Altariel that
          I read, and I do recall being somewhat late back to my workshift
          because of it. This is a story that will leave you feeling raw—it
          hurts, but we likes how it hurts, precious.

          Gondor

          MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa

          Usually, we find ourselves in sympathy with the shieldmaidens of the
          Ardaverse. We crave active women who are seen being active, who force
          their way to the forefront of the plot and demand acknowledgment from
          the men on traditionally masculine turf. And yet there is always that
          risk of anachronism or cliché to such characters. Alawa has chosen the
          road less travelled by and given us a fully-realized original female
          character who is everything most modern women in industrial countries
          are not: a keeper of the hearth, a housekeeper who desires no more
          than to hold hall and home in good order and to see its traditions
          perpetuated. Winfrith has a delightful voice; the entire story is a
          breath of fresh air that is lively, thoughtful, utterly humane and
          believable—if ever there were anything that could justify war, it is
          the preservation of Winfrith and the ideals of nurturing care and
          rootedness, fidelity and love that she embodies.

          Gondor

          MeG9: Homecoming by Nancy Brooke

          A lovely vignette to close out Boromir's tale. It is only right that
          he should find his place among the shades of the Stewards, waiting
          for... what? Valediction, I suppose, to use a word another of my
          favorite ghost stories uses. Lyrical and satisfying.

          Gondor

          MeG10: How Many Years? by Marta

          Ah, context for that notoriously difficult to handle quote: "How many
          hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king
          returns not?" I like the notion of the Steward's Heir swearing his
          oath of allegiance over Elendil's hallow, and also I'm intrigued by
          the idea of a question that is in itself wise, but which cannot be
          asked. I start splitting hairs between prudent and wise—the question,
          Boromir, is a prudent one, but silence is the wise course. I think he
          always had difficulty with that distinction, and I don't doubt it runs
          in the family: already, we see Denethor beginning to suffer under the
          burden of enhanced foresight. Nicely done.

          Gondor

          MeG12: In His Brother's Shadow by Celandine Brandybuck

          And another first rendered for me by Celandine—I do believe this was
          the first story I'd seen that showed Faramir and Boromir adolescents,
          or rather, Faramir as an adolescent and Boromir as a young adult. This
          story is light on the foreshadowing of grief to come, which is a nice
          break for lovers of the brothers 'Mir. The relationship between
          Boromir and Faramir is nicely drawn, and I enjoyed Faramir trying to
          find his place in the world. It is certainly a quest we can all empathize

          Gondor

          MeG13: Lady of Silences by Altariel

          Stare long enough into the abyss, and the abyss looks back at you:
          controlled, compact, and bleaker than a Chicago winter, this is
          probably the *only* fic that can make me believe that Finduilas
          committed suicide. Coincidentally, this is also the only author who
          can make me believe that Denethor can both love his wife and strike
          her; both strike his sons and be a good ruler. The prose cannot, I
          think, be faulted; the interpretation is dark, and could easily be
          mauled by a less expert pen. But in my opinion, this story treads that
          narrow interpretive path that makes the most of the ambiguities of
          canonical fact.

          Gondor

          MeG16: Proof by Altariel

          In which Faramir is forced to make a brutal decision in cold blood,
          and displays his native gift for seeking responsibility to the point
          of self-torture. Being captain of the Rangers in time of war is not
          all sweetness and light, nor even victory and defeat—it's a moral
          quandary to be faced every day.

          Gondor

          MeG20: Stargazers by Henneth Annun Writers (Altariel, Starlight, Acacea,
          Fileg, Chris, Forodwaith)

          This was a delightful set of interludes. Fourth grade astronomy
          lessons came back easily, and I enjoyed learning the constellations
          anew in Middle-earth. It was lovely to see Adrahil in the limelight
          for once, and I enjoyed the various glimpses of Boromir, who is
          well-differentiated from his brother. Well done, all of you.

          Gondor

          MeG21: The Burial of the Dead by Altariel

          Another bleak, tightly-woven story, where Owen, Tolkien and Eliot
          supply lines and image and atmosphere. With Gondor the never-thriving
          backdrop, we watch as Denethor falls from hope to fury to that fearful
          contemplative state that marks a soul on the edge of some very
          dangerous and final decision. I've always thought Denethor was tied to
          Gondor, and we see the barrenness of his existence in the land, which
          seemed poisoned somehow even when Finduilas still lived. It'll take
          the coming of the king to heal it, but it will be too late for
          Denethor. Unflinching and sympathetic at once, and well worth the read.

          Gondor

          MeG22: The King is Dead by Altariel

          You just can't play a nice friendly game of chess with Denethor.
          There's always some lesson to learn, even for a young child. But I did
          love this glimpse of Faramir and Denethor.

          Gondor

          MeG23: Ties of Love by Avon

          I really enjoyed this short little piece. Lovely tradition, beautiful
          language, and a fine answer to a challenge!

          Gondor

          MeG25: Worship by Destina_Fortunato

          If I ever wanted to try to convince someone that Aragorn/Boromir is
          plausible, this is the fic I would point that person towards. Written
          in a temple, what we have here is a confession at a transitional
          moment for Boromir, between past pride and present resolution to have
          no more of standing alone. The need for belief wars with the knowledge
          that tales are not enough, that reality is always the betrayer of
          lofty ideals, and that even evil may not seem so alarming (this part
          will make Boromir fans shiver in anticipation, but it was a nicely
          handled look at the Ring from Boromir's perspective, and all in a
          short paragraph!).

          How is it possible for an individual to serve the needs of a proud man
          who does not, I think, wish to admit he needs someone to believe in
          for purpose, that his own native courage and strength not be rendered
          meaningless? This is the central question of this work, I think, and
          it is to the author's credit that she treats the relationship between
          Aragorn and Boromir in the same manner she treats the Ring: great
          things do not always have the appearance of greatness, and love
          doesn't come with trumpets to announce it, and yet it is the easiest
          thing to attain in the end.

          That parallel with the Ring, however, casts a certain doubt on this
          fairly understated relationship—the difference between greed and
          genuine love is thin, and the author deliberately puts the two next to
          each other, leaving me to wonder whether in the end, this
          relationship, too, will be shown to be flawed to its core. We're not
          given the end of the story, but left simply with the question, which,
          I think, makes the story that much more powerful.

          Incomplete

          MeI1: Blackbow by Isabeau of Greenlea

          I have enjoyed the prequel to "Captain My Captain"; Mablung
          particularly stands out, although Lorend does get his deserved moment
          in the... shade. Always underfoot, that one! The relationship between
          Boromir and Faramir is nicely drawn, and for all that Hethlin spends
          several chapters speechless, she is a steady and expressive presence,
          and it's interesting to watch the Rangers, Faramir, and Boromir as
          they attempt to understand their newest and most unusual comrade. I
          rather liked that Boromir was the first of the brothers to appreciate
          Heth's potential and calling—of course he would, like recognizing
          like. I look forward to its continuation.

          Poetry

          MeP1: An Elegy for Elfhild by Alawa

          Beautiful and moving. I only wish I had the discipline to attempt
          something this ambitious!

          Poetry

          MeP5: Home by Morning by Fileg

          There's something wonderfully simple about this rhyme, yet it can't
          fail, I think, to touch any reader who has ever waited for a loved one
          to come home. In fact, it reminds me of a friend's mother, who said
          once that when her husband was lurking the depths of the ocean on a
          nuclear submarine, that whenever asked how she could stand the
          suspense of not knowing whether he was well, she would simply say, "I
          have to believe he's going to come up." I can hear the echo of that
          faith in this poem.

          Post-WOTR

          Me4-1: A Kind of Valediction by Altariel

          I don't know how many variations I can come up with, but here's
          trying: tightly paced, not a word wasted. I remember that when this
          first was posted in installments, I was surprised by the twist it
          took. I suppose I'd expected the pyre to return to haunt Faramir; I'd
          not expected him to be the one passing judgment on his father, or that
          it would take the form it did. Denethor, even as a shade, is
          himself—proud enough and strong enough to isolate himself, but in
          desperate need of others to give him a place and integrate him into
          their lives, rather than the reverse. Poor man! Lucky for him, he does
          have Faramir, and the line of stewards is made whole once more.

          Post-WOTR

          Me4-2: Black Captain by Altariel

          Ok, I can't resist Aragorn and Faramir. And I loved that last line:
          the white overwhelms the black—well done, Aragorn: if you can't beat
          the Black Captain, infiltrate his ranks and allow your cannier
          opponent to defeat him nicely for you. With any luck, the office
          politics will work so well!

          Post-WOTR

          Me4-3: Fair Game by Altariel

          Can I just point to my other reviews? I think this story you
          appreciate after you've read at least "A Game of Chess", if not other
          stories in the Eliot arc, given that it relies on Faramir's history as
          developped there. Just when we think Faramir's settled and adjusted to
          his life after the war, and to war fetters, something comes along to
          challenge him to regain a part of himself he had thought himself
          content to have lost.

          But even without that backstory, the original character of Déor is
          nicely drawn, and his evolution parallels his uncle's in its way—this
          is a family of survivors and it seems that courage breeds true. I
          always have difficulty writing children, so I admire others who take
          on the challenge that they present. If you've not read Altariel's
          other work, I suspect this will make you want to read it.

          Post-WOTR

          Me4-4: Light Lingering by Earmire/Nol

          I liked that Faramir finally got to transmit his own particular
          wisdom, which we so often quote and which Nol does as well in this
          fic: that it isn't the sword for its sharpness, nor the warrior for
          his glory, but only that which they defend that is to be loved. I
          liked, too, that Eldarion has his share of wanderlust—it seems only
          right, and that in a way, allowing Eldarion to follow it does keep him
          close to Aragorn, whom he loves enough to learn the lesson that
          Faramir has taught.

          Post-WOTR

          Me4-9: The Unsung by Alexcat

          A nice reminder of the many who fought and fell, and sometimes failed
          and fell, but without whom no one man would sit in peace in Middle-earth.

          Me3: Captain, My Captain by Isabeau of Greenlea

          For me, Hethlin was the first OFC to step into the spotlight of
          protagonist and survive the glare. Sometime around January 2002, I had
          seen the title pop up a few times on the FF.net listings, and always
          thought the title at least recommended a look. Eventually, I read
          chapter one and was immediately hooked, and fifty-three chapters and
          two years later, I had lost count of the number of rereadings I had
          done, the number of times I had laughed over Heth's sparring match
          with Éowyn or Lorend's wedding gift or Éomer's language lessons, or
          sighed over Imrahil (or Aragorn, let us not forget! I won't even guess
          how many times I've gone back to Thorongil in the garden). And no list
          of things I like about this story would be complete without mention of
          her Celeborn—a gentleman from top to toe, wise, ancient, and very much
          an Elf.

          Beyond the excellent characterizations and an emotional tone that runs
          the gamut without ever feeling forced, this story had a gravity to
          it—it felt real, from the ground up to me. Certainly, I have a hard
          time now reading Imrahil any other way, and part of the agony of
          writing that character stems from trying to thrust Isabeau's Imrahil
          aside long enough for anything like an original voice for that
          character to come through for me. More than almost any other story of
          Isabeau's, I think this voice felt most natural—I rarely ever was
          jarred out of Heth's point of view or was aware, while reading, of the
          gap between reader and character.

          So here's to a marvellous story, one that will certainly last more
          than one rainy day. Many thanks for the ride.

          Me6: Night in Hollin by Nancy Brooke

          This was great fun, I thought, and an unusual way of getting the
          Fellowship to interact. Thanks to the ever-present threat of war in
          LOTR, one tends to forget that most, if not all, of the Fellowship
          would have had some knowledge and ability as dancers, since dancing
          has been a large part of most cultures. But we don't often think of it
          having a part to play in Middle-earth, particularly for the non-hobbit
          characters, and this despite Lúthien's hypnotic dancing that so
          quickly seduced Beren.

          Me7: The Believer by Cori Lannam

          This story had me laughing at poor Boromir, who truly does have the
          worst of luck. Cori takes a traditional comic set up and makes it her
          own. Of course, one can't help, after one has finished laughing,
          thinking that the greatest misfortune still lies ahead for Boromir,
          and that even as a child, scoffing at old magic as if one had power
          over it was never a good idea....

          Me10: Through A Glass by Altariel

          This fic left me feeling a bit hollowed out, which is what I imagine
          Faramir felt, examining his life from the merciless position of the
          outside observer who nonetheless has all the knowledge of inner
          weaknesses, real or imagined. The psychic landscape reflected in the
          looking glass is all too clearly laid bare and twisted by melancholy.
          I'm still not quite sure that the narrative device, which becomes
          clear in the last line of the story, works fully, but it's an
          interesting play of point of views. As in other stories, so here:
          healing does not come in solitude, but in shared suffering and
          forgiveness.

          AUTHORS (remember to comment on the writer as regards to the category, not
          the story, here):

          Poetry

          MPA1: Alawa

          An Elegy for Elfhild

          There was a time when Alawa used to say that she wasn't a writer. I'm
          fairly certain no one will believe this after reading such a poem. In
          general, her poetry has been just lovely and leaves me quite envious
          of her skill!

          Poetry

          MPA3: Fileg

          And another author with a talent for verse, among other forms. Home By
          Morning is probably my favorite, but I have enjoyed many others; fileg
          is never afraid to try another form, it seems, and we all reap the
          benefits of her word-play.

          MA1: Alawa

          Hearth Companions

          Going along with my other comment, Alawa once confessed to fear of
          dialogue—not that you would ever guess it from reading this. Alawa has
          an eye for picking the moments others don't see, and for bringing the
          inner landscape of a character to life in a way that is always as
          lively as her wording is lovely. Her characers' inner voices are
          always very sure and carefully and sympathetically drawn.

          MA3: Altariel

          I envy Altariel her skill at winnowing away at words until only those
          necessary remain. She is indisputably the master of the concise turn
          of phrase and the tightly-scripted plot. Her insight and sympathy for
          the first family of Gondor are always evident, as is her love for
          Eliot (ok, maybe not always but often). As I mentioned before, she is
          the only author to date who has managed to convince me that Denethor
          could be an abusive spouse and father. It's an easy move to make, and
          I've seen some other authors make it in the quest for drama; the way
          to success, however, lies in respecting the hiddenness of this sort of
          relationship: it is always there, always informing the background of
          the Eliot-arc, and yet only rarely glimpsed and that indirectly,
          usually by report or a stray memory. There's a fine balance to be
          struck when dealing with something as complex as family violence, and
          she has managed to find it time and time again, and not only when
          dealing with that one interpretation of Denethor. Perhaps it is
          Altariel's self-confessed devotion to symmetry, evident in all she
          writes, that enables her to find it.

          MA11: Earmire/Nol

          Nol finds all manner of ways to work in the philosophical, which I
          always appreciate. Intelligent writing, and she is canny with her
          plotting. Unlike some of us, she doesn't need to write continuous
          scenes, but can write in a more episodic style to bring out the
          thematic content more clearly. If I could do it so well, I'd be happy.

          MA15: Isabeau of Greenlea

          Isabeau's ability to characterize along a full continuum of human
          emotion is her greatest strength, I think. Situations that would be
          ridiculous in other hands work when she writes them, and it's not
          surprising that her stories are character-driven. She fears no
          original character, whether female or male, and some of her most
          memorable moments revolve around them. And although she is capable of
          putting the reader through the emotional wringer, she rarely descends
          into the realm of bleak, preferring usually to write in just that
          touch of hope, nobility, and light for our heroes and heroines. This
          means her chapters, however long, always read quickly, and I'm always
          wanting more once I finish one.
        • Thundera Tiger
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 17, 2004
            It's me again, this time with the Men's ballot. I'd apologize again about
            the length, but I suspect you wouldn't believe me. Ah well. Here we go!
            Stories first, authors second!

            ---------------------------

            Men
            Official Voting Ballot

            ---------------------------

            Stories

            ---------------------------

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG1: A Pale Light Lingering by Altariel

            It�s a short, quick little story, but there is so much contained within it
            that I really don�t know where to start. I think what I like best is how it
            keeps its focus. Faramir�s thoughts are many and varied, and they range from
            fear that his father might keep him in the city to what strength they might
            have to draw upon from the south. But the story never loses track of where
            it�s ultimately going, and that�s into Ithilien where hope begins. It
            doesn�t tarry over Denethor and Faramir might think of his father, it
            doesn�t linger over the forces of Dol Amroth. It touches upon these briefly,
            acknowledges their influence, and then gets to the heart of its message. It
            goes to Ithilien, where Faramir gives hope to his men as only Faramir can.
            The ease and command of his nature is portrayed with only a few sentences,
            but it characterizes him better than an entire page of introspection could.
            This is Faramir at his best, and what�s even better is that it�s a very
            unconscious best. I don�t think Faramir fully understands just how good a
            leader he is. He knows he�s capable and he knows he�s earned the right to
            command, but he doesn�t allow himself to take it any farther than that, and
            in my mind, that makes him all the more noble.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG4: Choices by Lindelea

            I�ve decided that poor Beregond needs far more attention in fanfics,
            especially if it�s attention of this caliber. Lindelea takes the meager
            details we know about Beregond and uses them to build a complex, loyal,
            noble practical character who is willing to accept the consequences of his
            actions, even though those actions were taken to save Faramir�s life. Brief
            cameos by more prominent canon characters enhance the story, but the real
            beauty is in the OCs that surround Beregond. They round out and complete
            Beregond, beginning with his friends from the guard as well as the relatives
            of the guards he had to kill in order to save Faramir. And that�s another
            thing I really like about this fic. There are consequences to Beregond�s
            action aside from breaking the law. He killed, and those men he killed were
            men he knew and had families of their own. I love the way Lindelea brings
            this into the story. The opening chapter was marvelously told through
            flashbacks as well as a very wry battle sense of humor with Beregond and
            Targon contemplating life while slowly suffocating beneath a large and
            apparently odiferous troll. The final chapter provides a very satisfying
            conclusion, and the epilogue made me weep. Brilliant story and brilliant
            storytelling to go along with it!

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG5: Courting The Lady by Celandine Brandybuck

            One of the best examples of ensemble characterization. The three main
            characters are Denethor, Finduilas, and Aragorn (or Thorongil, in this
            case), but a good deal of attention is paid to the other characters
            involved, such as Ecthelion, Imrahil, and Adrahil. What I really love about
            this fic are the personalities of Denethor, Aragorn, and Imrahil, because
            this is a story about them when they were young and you can see the
            beginnings of what they will ultimately become. But they haven�t reached it
            quite yet. It�s a wonderful, teasing look at the youth of these characters,
            and the strengths that will support them as well as the weaknesses that will
            hamper them can all be seen. Denethor is a man just beginning to understand
            himself, and when he takes an interest in something, he pursues that
            interest perhaps more than he should, something that will get him into
            trouble one day. He�s shrewd, he sees more than other men see, he almost
            immediately recognizes Thorongil for the rival that he could become, yet for
            all his insight, Denethor has a few painful blind spots, especially with
            regards to whatever his current obsession is. It�s a lovely bit of
            foreshadowing. Aragorn is exactly as I would expect Aragorn to be. He�s
            agreeable when necessary, he�s a good commander, he works directly with
            almost all the men beneath him as a Ranger should, he recognizes trends and
            underpinnings within conversations, and he involves himself in matters that
            have the potential to get him into trouble because that�s what his heart
            tells him to do. And Imrahil is positively brilliant. He wishes to learn, he
            doesn�t want immediate promotion, he�s almost embarrassingly earnest and
            eager to please, but he can also be just as shrewd and insightful as his
            costars. He simply doesn�t assert himself the way Denethor and Aragorn do,
            which plays into things later in RotK. Very good, very well-researched story
            that takes the characters back through time and shows us how their
            relationships began.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG6: Death by Water by Altariel

            Water is a favorite time-honored symbolic device, and Altariel makes good
            use of it in this story. Wonderful glimpse into Faramir and Denethor as they
            receive news of Boromir�s passing in their own ways. Faramir�s confusion and
            dreams of drowning could have been overplayed, but Altariel uses a very
            deft, delicate touch with these scenes, and the symbolism of the churning
            water lurks just below the surface, never overpowering the story but never
            allowing its presence to be forgotten.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG9: Homecoming by Nancy Brooke

            Creepy. Very, very creepy. This is a wonderful little work that pulls from
            Gondor�s troubled history and sets Boromir amongst the fallen. I have yet to
            decide whether or not he�s been elevated to a hero, a martyr, or if he�s
            still just a casualty in the fight to preserve Gondor, and I think that�s
            the point of this little story. Whatever the result, though, Boromir is
            home. And we�re left as readers to wonder what kind of home, which is
            exactly the way that this haunting little tale should end. Fabulous work.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG18: Requiem by Nancy Brooke

            Solemn, heart-felt tale that is as much about mourning as it is about the
            differences between Boromir and Faramir. I have a difficult time reading
            about youth, especially Boromir and Faramir, but Nancy has made Faramir a
            very accessible character for me. There�s a slight innocence and impishness
            that gives evidence of just how young he is, but he�s already turning into
            the wise, thoughtful man that will later lead Ithilien. And the different
            ways in which Boromir and Faramir remember Finduilas is fascinating to me.
            Boromir remembers her strength and her wisdom, things that he needed from
            her, while Faramir remembers her protection and her beauty, which are things
            that HE needed. It�s a very interesting study in contrasts, and very well
            done.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG19: Singer by the shore by Beth Winter

            I love stories that bring Maglor back into the picture, and this one does it
            so well. The wisdom, foresight, and complexity of F�anor�s son is
            beautifully portrayed here. Better still are Boromir and Faramir. Already
            the differences and the similarities that mark them as adults can be seen
            here in their youth. Faramir is willing to see the good in the world, while
            Boromir can think of almost except the darkness looming over Gondor. Faramir
            is more willing to accept change and the fantastic, but Boromir is more
            practical and pragmatic. Beautiful dialogue, beautiful foreshadowing, and
            beautiful characterization.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG21: The Burial of the Dead by Altariel

            Very unnerving look at a rapidly cracking Denethor. The fact that it is so
            unnerving means it gets its message across quite well. I almost felt as
            thought I was also going crazy. This story is told from Denethor�s
            perspective, and it uses quotes from the books as well as flashbacks to take
            us on a strange and bizarre journey through Denethor�s mind. The way in
            which he remembers things and the order in which these things are remembered
            is telling. The final part in which Denethor contemplates that Finduilas
            speaks more as one dead than she ever did as one living gave me chills and
            says quite a bit about his relationship with her. Very good story that gives
            us a glimpse into the mind and heart of one of LotR�s most complex
            characters.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG22: The King is Dead by Altariel

            This is one of my favorite stories involving Faramir and Denethor. Here is a
            tale that searches out the things both men share (or in this case, the
            things that a man and an eleven-year-old child share) and capitalizes on it.
            I love the way their minds work, and I love how Denethor is able to teach
            Faramir something through his subtle maneuvering of the game and also of
            Faramir himself. Denethor�s methods may be hard to understand for some, but
            they work quite well at the chessboard, and it seems that Faramir takes the
            message to heart. On a side note, I love the fact that Boromir fled BACK to
            the troops for some peace after coming up against Faramir and his newly
            acquired chess set. A very quick note, but it�s a wonderful insight into the
            brothers and also into the fact that Faramir can sometimes be just as
            obsessed over certain things as his father.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG23: Ties of Love by Avon

            Wonderful story involving a Gondor superstition that expands the culture of
            Gondor. We don�t get nearly enough stories that take a good look into some
            of the superstitions and old wives� tales surrounding the groups of people
            in Middle-earth. Avon does a superb job here, and I like the idea that it is
            Faramir who adheres to this tradition both as a child and as a man. I also
            love the idea that pragmatic, practical Boromir still keeps the three red
            cords (well, the SIX red cords) and the ending just blew me away. The one
            holding him to life was gone, but the other two that tied him to his land
            and to Faramir were still there. Lovely ending.

            >>Gondor
            >>MeG24: Too Late for Misgivings by Shadow975

            This is a story that has been done again and again and again, but Shadow975
            somehow manages to make it sound fresh and new. How, I�m not sure. I think a
            part of it might be due to the role reversal that goes on. Faramir is more
            assertive than usual. We�re told in the books that he is bold, and we see it
            here. By contrast, Boromir seems more reserved, and in his words is a wisdom
            that usually comes from Faramir. It�s a good reminder that these are
            brothers and they come from the same stock. Boromir might not use his mind
            as a scholar, but he does have a mind and it�s a good one. The dream came to
            him as well, after all. I love the foreshadowing in this story and how
            Boromir has a bit of foresight of his own, especially when it seems that
            Faramir�s foresight hasn�t given him anything into the journey beyond
            Imladris. Very nice retelling of a familiar story.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP1: An Elegy for Elfhild by Alawa

            This poem seems to me to be a turning point in Theoden�s life. I love how
            Alawa has pulled into this the fact that Theoden was born in Gondor, not
            Rohan. And Theoden has been gifted with a love for Gondor and the stonehouse
            dwellers that live there. Elfhild�s death is marred by his fears that Gondor
            medicine might have been able to save her, but at the same time, Theoden
            can�t help but remember that Elfhild loved Rohan best. He�s at a crossroads
            of sorts. The ending of the poem is very much the story of someone settling
            into their mourning, and the language is beautiful. Wonderful poem that
            keeps in mind the characters, their backgrounds, and the very human feeling
            of grief.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP2: Ascension by Fileg

            The terzanelle is an incredibly difficult form of poetry (for me, anyway)
            and I�m always in awe when I find one done well. This terzanelle was done
            well, and it blows me away. The form alone�wow. The advantage of the
            terzanelle is that it seems to bring things full circle because the first
            and third lines will be repeated in the end, the latter as the last line and
            the former two lines above it. Fileg has chosen the perfect lines for this
            as Denethor acknowledges the ruin around him and yet seems to absolve
            himself of guilt. But at the same time, he doesn�t because he says at one
            point that he�s accepted this bargain and takes responsibility. It�s an
            interesting paradox. Another advantage of the terzanelle is that it ties
            itself together by forcing other lines to repeat themselves, and if you can
            pick the proper words for these lines, the poem becomes even more profound.
            The phrase �an unthanked servant of an absent king� is one of the best lines
            I�ve ever heard used to describe the office of Gondor�s Steward during the
            latter half of the Third Age, and this is chosen as the second and fifth
            line. Beautiful, beautiful language. The meter is another great aspect of
            this poem. It follows the standard iambic pentameter, but it�s not so rigid
            as to feel that it has been forced into this meter. It fits, certainly, but
            it wouldn�t take much jostling to alter the rhythm, giving a very fluid
            feel. Incredible use of the terzanelle, and I really can�t think of any
            situation that requires this poem more than Denethor�s last moments.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP3: Darkness Falls by flick

            I was unfamiliar with the sestina, which made this poem especially
            interesting because I got to learn about a new form of poetry. I�m odd that
            way. In any case, I�ve found the sestina to be a fascinating device that
            will require several weeks to fully process, but what first struck me was
            how this would force a reader to look at six different words in many
            different ways. And appropriately enough, this poem looks at Boromir, who is
            a complicated character and can be seen in many different lights. I�m very
            impressed with the ways flick chose to use the various words, and the last
            line really hit home as Boromir doesn�t quite trust himself to accept
            forgiveness.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP4: Eowyn, my fair one by Dwimordene

            I�m going to confess right now before saying anything else that this poem
            gave me the willies. When I first read it last year, I actually had to leave
            the room because I felt�dirty. That�s a compliment to Dwimordene�s writing,
            though somewhat backhanded, I suppose. In any case, I don�t want to get any
            closer to Wormtongue than this. His obsession with Eowyn gave me chills, his
            need to hurt and teach her made me wince, and I�m not even going to touch on
            the idea of the sword as a phallic symbol. I�ll get the willies all over
            again. A very good poem, but it creeps me out every time I read it.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP5: Home by Morning by Fileg

            Wonderful poem full of promise. The meter of this poem is nearly flawless,
            and the structure is perfect for this type of writing. It combines oaths and
            vows with lists of things that might prevent the fulfilling of those
            promises, and the poem is structured in such a way as to accommodate both.
            Brilliant writing and almost a sing-song rhythm that lulls and comforts.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP6: I Ride by RennWench and Alstaria

            The real Faramir returns. Forget what the movies did to this poor man and
            forget every doubt you ever entertained about him even in the books. This is
            Faramir in all his nobility and all his �sufficiency.� That word actually
            takes on new meaning thanks to this poem. In any case, this is Faramir
            unplugged, unedited, and uncut. I love the way this poem punctuates his
            motivations, his desires, his goals, and his unswerving devotion. Beautiful
            imagery, the refrain �I ride� kept the pace fast and relentless, and Faramir
            is restored to his noble and �sufficient� glory.

            >>Poetry
            >>MeP8: The Hamster by Dwimordene

            Oh dear. The mental image of Denethor ranting against this hamster and
            calling it a �thing of evil� brought back memories of my sister�s hamster.
            And as I dearly love Poe parodies in whatever form they may take, I loved
            this poem. I now have this image as the palant�r being used as an elaborate
            hamster ball, and the thought never fails to make me laugh. Poe-horror meets
            the cute and cuddly hamster who is named, of all things, Thorongil. Parody
            just doesn�t get any better.

            >>Post-WOTR
            >>Me4-7: Sufficient by Tanaqui

            Very good and slightly angsty fic about Faramir just after the king returns.
            This Faramir initially seems more in keeping with the movie version than the
            book, but elements of the book are clearly there by the end what we have is
            an interesting blend of the character. Just as Legolas thinks, it would
            require years to fully understand him, but Tanaqui gives us a good glimpse
            of this man in his reaction to Legolas�s words and his lingering doubts.

            >>Post-WOTR
            >>Me4-8: The Endless Knot by E.M Theis

            This story�s title brings to mind images of complex sailors� knots, and the
            story itself lives up to the imagery. Wonderfully twisted tale that winds
            itself tighter and tighter until it is felt it can go no further. The
            narrative remains firmly in the hands of Faramir, and his impressions and
            reactions to those around him are very much colored by his own unique view
            of the world as well as the influence of the enemy he comes up against.
            Great tale of endurance, perseverance, and the ragged edge of sanity.

            >>Me7: The Believer by Cori Lannam

            What I love about this story is its lightheartedness. And a glimpse of a
            Gondor tradition. Put together, the two are marvelous. But perhaps even more
            moving is the fact that the story�s participants are Boromir and Aragorn,
            two unlikely sources of such mirth, especially given the time period.
            Nevertheless, Boromir�s sudden paranoia and Aragorn�s very dry and somewhat
            secretive sense of humor make for a wonderful blend.

            -----------------

            AUTHORS

            -----------------

            >>Poetry
            >>MPA3: Fileg

            Poetry is a difficult genre to master, but Fileg seems to have absolutely no
            difficulties with the two poems featured here. The terzanelle, in
            particular, astounded me as it�s something that has forever eluded me. But
            Fileg pulled it off and gave it one of the best and most appropriate
            subjects for that style of poetry. Knowledge of the poem�s requirements and
            constraints was evident, and the advantages that the poem�s style offered
            were used to their fullest. Given a freer structure, Fileg still maintained
            an even, steady meter that fit like a hand in a glove, and together they
            formed the basis for something I could envision as a lullaby or a favorite
            nursery rhyme, either one. (Who says all lullabies are cheerful? Remember
            the one about cradles and tree tops?) Anyway, I�m astounded at Fileg�s
            ability to manipulate poetry and use it to accentuate the chosen topics.
            Wonderful reads!

            >>Poetry
            >>MPA6: RennWench and Alstaria

            Powerful use of poetry and the unique advantages that verse offers over
            narrative. In particular, I loved the use of the phrase �I ride� and how it
            was turned into an anthem of sorts for Faramir, who indeed rode. And then we
            were given the reasons why. The poem was well paced, beginning slow but then
            increasing rapidly in tempo until we were riding right alongside Faramir.
            And we moved from the setting in the beginning to the hearts and feelings of
            his hearts. ReenWench and Alstaria did a good job of drawing the reader and
            then keeping the reader there while they gave us all the reasons why Faramir
            was sufficient and why Faramir represented the best that was in the men of
            Gondor.

            >>MA3: Altariel

            I think it is Altariel�s unique gift to paint characters in moments. The
            people in Altariel�s stories stay fairly true to whatever emotion they might
            be entertaining. Sufficient background is laid to understand the situation,
            and the characterization is always addressed so that we are aware of a
            character�s other attributes, but the real story is told within the moment
            itself, and that�s quite a talent. Because it is the moments that make up
            life, and Altariel reminds us of that fact with each story. In a moment of
            grief, Denethor would remember this. In a moment of admiration and possible
            defeat, Denethor would try to do this. In a moment of awkwardness, Faramir
            would behave like this. In a moment of despair, Faramir would say this.
            Altariel uses the moments to show men as they really were in Middle-earth,
            and they say far more about a character than almost anything else could.
            Moreover, this use of �moments� in storytelling ensures that the story never
            veers far from its intended course, making for exceptionally tight writing
            and good overall focus.

            >>MA6: Celandine Brandybuck

            Celandine has a way of reversing time and taking us back to the moments when
            the seeds of greatness as well as the seeds of doom first break through the
            surface of a man�s soul. And this is done without ever losing sight of what
            will ultimately happen. Essentially, Celandine lays the foundations for the
            future and does so with such care and attention to detail that it�s
            difficult to imagine that these characters had a beginning that could be any
            different from the one we�re presented. The politics, maneuvering, and
            second-guessing that always accompanies the upper echelons of men are told
            clearly and confidently in Celandine�s stories, and never are we as readers
            left feeling as thought something had gone overlooked or missing. Celandine
            is a master of tight writing and beautiful story telling.

            >>MA18: Lindelea

            Flawless characterization of Beregond. Lindelea looks at the events
            surrounding Denethor�s death, the Morannon, and the Field of Cormallen, and
            then uses these events and Beregond�s reaction to them in order to create a
            very memorable character. The OCs are characters in their own right, and
            through their interaction with Beregond, we are able to unearth new levels
            and facets of his personality. Lindelea basically writes a very long
            character sketch and not only makes it work but also makes it highly
            enjoyable.

            >>MA24: Shadow975

            What really sets Shadow974 apart in this category with the entered story is
            the ability to tell this particular tale in a new manner. The story involves
            Boromir leaving for Imladris with Faramir wondering why it�s the older son
            and not the younger who is leaving. It�s been done time and again in
            fanfiction. There are some good version of it out there, but even after a
            while, good version begin to sound redundant. This story doesn�t. It takes
            the familiar themes and then twists them, giving Faramir the forthrightness
            and Boromir the thoughtfulness. And it makes these characterizations work,
            which is what really sold me on it. Very good story telling, especially
            considering how often this story is told.

            ------------------------

            And you've now reached the end of my ballot. And yet again, it certainly
            wasn't that long was it? I know I've got your support, Ainaechoiriel!

            Thundera (who is deeply grateful for these awards as they've given me whole
            new worlds to explore)
          • Jillian Baade
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 18, 2004
              >Gondor
              >
              >MeG19: Singer by the shore by Beth Winter
              >
              >A wonderful story with one of my favourite characters in it, Maglor. While
              >the primary interest of the story centers where it should with the boys,
              >you get a strong sense of the other worldliness of the elf, and the wonder
              >the children feel. Also, you get the feeling that as young as they are,
              >they know they have had an extraordinary encounter with someone whose
              >experiences range back to the elder days.

              I can't also but help see a future scene, when Arwen has a conversation with
              her husband's steward, and that night is mentioned. I bet her saying, 'oh,
              but you are talking of my foster grandfather' would blow Faramir right out
              of the water!

              >Incomplete
              >
              >MeI1: Blackbow by Isabeau of Greenlea
              >
              >This what was missing from 'Captain' if anything was missing. How Hethlin
              >became a Ranger, and the tale of how the Rangers found her and healed her.

              We see the frightened badly hurt girl survive, and start to trust her new
              friends, and to fall in love with Faramir; the beginnings of the Heth we all
              loved in 'Captain'

              >Incomplete

              Me3: Captain, My Captain by Isabeau of Greenlea

              What can I say about this very famous story no one else has? I guess this is
              the one that makes us all wish we could write such a wonderful OFC as
              Hethlin. From seeing her in battle, to how she stands up to the Witch King
              when offered the thing she wants the most, to her unrequited love for
              Faramir and finally to see her relationship with bratty Elrohir develop,
              this story has held me spell-bound from beginning to end.

              My favourite scene after several re-reading is the one where Heth is walking
              through the Grey Lands, and is found by Elrohir. Her surprise at realising
              he's an elf is very funny, especially right in the middle of being rescued

              Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
              http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline
            • Lady Aranel
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 21, 2004
                I have more, but wanted to get this vote in while it was still fresh in my mind.

                <<Gondor
                <<MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa

                :-O I was completly blindsided here. When I began to understand what the woman's burdan was, I got gooseflesh. I've never read Alawa's stories before and this morning, I just picked it out of the blue because the summary was interesting. Short and concise. The OC is believable as a woman of her class to just do what needs doing, yet such an undertone makes the dawn of realization of her task almost chilling. Her observation of the Captain, forthright and matter of fact with a bit of curiousity, very believable... A little surprise for me, and a glad one, to find this fic!

              • chathollinn
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                  --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Ainaechoiriel" <mefaadmin@e...>
                  wrote:

                  > Men
                  >
                  > Official Voting Ballot
                  >
                  > Gondor
                  >
                  > MeG14: Leaves on the Wind by Nancy Brooke
                  >
                  >> Great title for a series of letters. They sound realistic –
                  except I think when Faramir said "Brother I have Failed you"
                  it was out of character. Sure Faramir is a sensitive guy, but I just
                  didn't see why he would think himself a failure, given the
                  circumstances and given he was writing to Boromir. Now if he had
                  been talking to Denethor, that would be different. Anyway, the five
                  letters do a good job of disclosing the slowly worsening military
                  situation. The reader feels for Faramir, whose guesses about the
                  future are somber
                  and chilling. I liked it.

                  > Gondor
                  >
                  > MeG22: The King is Dead by Altariel
                  >
                  > > A good bit of story telling here. The writer knows her craft. No
                  extra words. She uses the dialog to good effect. Since it is writing
                  and not actual conversation, the dialog can't have the verbosity
                  of natural conversation yet the characters sound as if they are
                  talking. Also, the dialog reveals the personalities' views on
                  winning, and does it skillfully.

                  >>> Me6: Night in Hollin by Nancy Brooke

                  The folksy story-telling tone hooked me and kept me reading this
                  story. It's a look at the Fellowship as they pass through. I did
                  think it was a little too talky. Dialog exchanges such as "Right
                  then" "Right when" "Right now" can be pared
                  back to good effect, but that is intended as a lightweight
                  criticism. The writer did a good job of showing the relationships of
                  the Fellowship and of telling us information we did not know about
                  the culture of Gondor. Enjoyable. Oh, and I figured out where the
                  sword move came from before the writer told us, which is always fun!

                  > Me7: The Believer by Cori Lannam

                  The reader is as mesmerized as Aragorn at Bormoir's recital. You
                  don't expect him to keep going, and he does. Each mishap piles
                  on the one before. Boromir is convinced, Aragorn is convinced, and I
                  was convinced. Humorous. No – practically Monty Pythonesque.

                  Best regards - Chathol-linn, who hopes she did this right.

                • dwimmer_laik
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                    A correction. Apologies, I pasted "Keepers of the Hearth" comments
                    into "Hearth Companions"'s comment field. Whoever is categorizing,
                    I'm sorry!

                    > Gondor
                    >
                    > MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa

                    Alawa's OFC working the field, carting bodies to the pyres does a
                    lovely job of juxtaposing her previous journeys delivering goods in
                    her cart with the grim duty of porting the dead to the funeral fires.
                    Sympathetic and bittersweet look at the aftermath of the fields, and
                    even if Halbarad STILL DOESN'T GET MENTIONED BY NAME, we know who it
                    is that Aragorn watches for at the pyre.
                  • Larian Elensar
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                      Okay, so this goes into the Men Ballot under Hearth Companions, replacing the
                      comment that was there originally, right? (And that one will show up on the
                      Rohan Ballot then?)

                      (Sorry, just want to make sure I do it right :)

                      --- dwimmer_laik <dwimmer_laik@...> wrote:

                      > A correction. Apologies, I pasted "Keepers of the Hearth" comments
                      > into "Hearth Companions"'s comment field. Whoever is categorizing,
                      > I'm sorry!
                      >
                      > > Gondor
                      > >
                      > > MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa
                      >
                      > Alawa's OFC working the field, carting bodies to the pyres does a
                      > lovely job of juxtaposing her previous journeys delivering goods in
                      > her cart with the grim duty of porting the dead to the funeral fires.
                      > Sympathetic and bittersweet look at the aftermath of the fields, and
                      > even if Halbarad STILL DOESN'T GET MENTIONED BY NAME, we know who it
                      > is that Aragorn watches for at the pyre.

                      =====
                      Larian
                      larian_elensar@...
                      Keeper of the OEAM archive http://www.ofelvesandmen.com
                      Archive addy archive@...
                    • dwimmer_laik
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                        --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Larian Elensar
                        <larian_elensar@y...> wrote:
                        > Okay, so this goes into the Men Ballot under Hearth Companions,
                        replacing the
                        > comment that was there originally, right? (And that one will show
                        up on the
                        > Rohan Ballot then?)

                        Yup. Exactly. I will change the author comment for Hearth Companions,
                        too, but since that wasn't a copy-paste, it may take me longer. I'll
                        let you know when I can think up something suitable.

                        > (Sorry, just want to make sure I do it right :)

                        No trouble. Sorry to have made you work harder!

                        Dwim
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                          yes, that's right. She will repost the comment when Rohan comes up so it
                          will be counted for the right story.

                          --Ainaechoiriel
                          MEFA Admin and Founder

                          http://gabrielle.sytes.net/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards
                          Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com

                          Okay, so this goes into the Men Ballot under Hearth Companions, replacing
                          the comment that was there originally, right? (And that one will show up on
                          the Rohan Ballot then?)

                          (Sorry, just want to make sure I do it right :)

                          --- dwimmer_laik <dwimmer_laik@...> wrote:

                          > A correction. Apologies, I pasted "Keepers of the Hearth" comments
                          > into "Hearth Companions"'s comment field. Whoever is categorizing, I'm
                          > sorry!
                          >
                          > > Gondor
                          > >
                          > > MeG8: Hearth Companions by Alawa
                          >
                          > Alawa's OFC working the field, carting bodies to the pyres does a
                          > lovely job of juxtaposing her previous journeys delivering goods in
                          > her cart with the grim duty of porting the dead to the funeral fires.
                          > Sympathetic and bittersweet look at the aftermath of the fields, and
                          > even if Halbarad STILL DOESN'T GET MENTIONED BY NAME, we know who it
                          > is that Aragorn watches for at the pyre.

                          =====
                          Larian
                          larian_elensar@...
                          Keeper of the OEAM archive http://www.ofelvesandmen.com Archive addy
                          archive@...

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wx3olB/TM
                        • Larian Elensar
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                            No biggie, glad you caught it!

                            --- dwimmer_laik <dwimmer_laik@...> wrote:

                            > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Larian Elensar
                            > <larian_elensar@y...> wrote:
                            > > Okay, so this goes into the Men Ballot under Hearth Companions,
                            > replacing the
                            > > comment that was there originally, right? (And that one will show
                            > up on the
                            > > Rohan Ballot then?)
                            > >

                            > Yup. Exactly. I will change the author comment for Hearth Companions,
                            > too, but since that wasn't a copy-paste, it may take me longer. I'll
                            > let you know when I can think up something suitable.
                            >
                            > > (Sorry, just want to make sure I do it right :)
                            >
                            > No trouble. Sorry to have made you work harder!
                            >
                            > Dwim

                          • Thundera Tiger
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                              Jumping in really fast to clarify something. I'll get out of your hair soon,
                              I promise!

                              >>I will change the author comment for Hearth Companions,
                              >>too, but since that wasn't a copy-paste, it may take me longer. I'll
                              >>let you know when I can think up something suitable.

                              So there *will* be a change to Alawa's author comments, too, but it's not
                              here yet. Your current vote under Alawa is not the correct one. Right?

                              *scurrying away again*

                              Thundera
                            • dwimmer_laik
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 22, 2004
                                --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Thundera Tiger" <swordofomens@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > Jumping in really fast to clarify something. I'll get out of your
                                hair soon,
                                > I promise!
                                >
                                > >>I will change the author comment for Hearth Companions,
                                > >>too, but since that wasn't a copy-paste, it may take me longer. I'll
                                > >>let you know when I can think up something suitable.
                                >
                                > So there *will* be a change to Alawa's author comments, too, but
                                it's not
                                > here yet. Your current vote under Alawa is not the correct one. Right?
                                >
                                > *scurrying away again*

                                Right. For the moment, the author comments are not to be counted
                                towards her total, so right now she has no comments from me in the
                                Men-(non-poetry)-author category. Hopefully, I'll come up with
                                something soonish...

                                Dwim, also scampering
                              • Larian Elensar
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 23, 2004
                                  Men Ballot - Authors

                                  AUTHORS (remember to comment on the writer as regards to the category, not
                                  the story, here):

                                  Poetry

                                  MPA6: RennWench and Alstaria
                                  I love the tempo and drive that Rennwench and Alstaria used with their piece.
                                  Of course, I've read other stories by Rennwench and I love the rhythm she
                                  employs in all of her pieces. They aren't all poems, but they do have a poetic
                                  quality that's refreshing.

                                  MA2: Alexcat
                                  Alexcat writes with an economy of words but still manages to get her point
                                  across without seeming vague or rushed. I like her writing style.

                                  =====
                                  Larian
                                  larian_elensar@...
                                  Keeper of the OEAM archive http://www.ofelvesandmen.com
                                  Archive addy archive@...
                                • Alex Cat
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 23, 2004
                                    Ainaechoiriel <mefaadmin@...> wrote:

                                    Men

                                    Official Voting Ballot

                                    Poetry

                                    MeP6: I Ride by RennWench and Alstaria

                                    I love this one� so much said with so little words. I like the repetition� when read aloud it reads as more story than poem, which I like also.

                                    Official Keeper of Yorgi's Hard Drive, Nick Maitland's Hands
                                    and the Soldier's Hat.
                                    http://www.journalfen.net/users/alexcat

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 25, 2004
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 25, 2004
                                        Sorry to be so late! I hope I estimated the time right.

                                        > Men - Official Voting Ballot

                                        > Gondor

                                        > MeG4: Choices by Lindelea

                                        A story about characters who can still crack jokes when buried beneath
                                        a dead troll is right up my allee. But there's more to it than jokes:
                                        Lindelea manages to write again what I already read in LotR without
                                        sounding as if she was just repeating. Instead she reinvents and
                                        invents new aspects, seen through Beregond's eyes - an interesting
                                        contrast to seeing the White City through Pippin's eyes in the book.
                                        The shifting between the two plot lines - starting with Beregorn
                                        trapped beneath the troll / Beregond meeting Pippin - manages to build
                                        suspense, but not frustrate when the plot line changes again. Also:
                                        Lindelea manages to get the feeling of kindness and otherness of elves
                                        over, and that is very difficult to do (and not often works as well as
                                        it does here).

                                        MeG6: Death by Water by Altariel

                                        I love the very powerful, wonderfully invocative descriptions of
                                        Numenor's end – the beginning of the story throws me right into the
                                        situation of Numenor sinking under and imitates what it must be like
                                        to dream of it. Faramir's relation to his brother and father and the
                                        course of his life are woven into descriptions of the dream.

                                        The Denethor's reactions are described fits in beautifully with
                                        Faramir's character: accepting and without resent, but not without
                                        pain and sometimes pity. The "I am yours to command" is both sad and
                                        sweet, and so are the short periods of understanding between Denethor
                                        and Faramir. The end is perfect, with the mention of the light
                                        flickering at the top of the tower hinting at troubles to come.

                                        > MeG11: I will always be your brother by Avon

                                        I like the way this story brings Boromir's feelings for his brother to
                                        life, and fleshes out the lives of both brothers with events that give
                                        an idea of what growing up was like for them. I especially enjoy the
                                        solemness of Faramir, and how his gift of seeing into the heart of
                                        his brother even at a young age is described by Boromir.
                                        The phrase "to be half of each other" is lovely, and the description
                                        of the horror and confusion of battle as well as the dilemma of
                                        comforting a younger brother without telling him lies is excellently done.

                                        > MeG14: Leaves on the Wind by Nancy Brooke

                                        What I liked best about this story were the contrasting pictures used
                                        to represent Boromir and Faramir: the swordsmen and the archer,
                                        traveling under the sun and under the moon, Anorien and Ithilien....
                                        In the rest of the story, too, the language is beautiful, if a bit to
                                        twisted now and then. Now and then the language stroke me as a bit too
                                        ornate for a fighter (even Faramir), but the content of the letters
                                        and the sense of poetry in the language are in perfectly in character
                                        with Faramir.

                                        > MeG15: Possessions by Altariel

                                        This is a sweet tale of a first meeting between Gandalf and Faramir,
                                        with both characters portrayed beautifully – Faramir careful,
                                        inquisitive and already a bit guarded, Gandalf with a love to show off
                                        a bit and tell stories even when searching for important information
                                        among the record's of Minas Tirith. I especially like the relationship
                                        between Faramir and Denethor: it is already strained, which seems to
                                        have left a mark on Faramir, but Denethor is still able to show some
                                        kindness toward his younger son. This fits in beautifully with the
                                        introduction remark by Gandalf that with the death of his wife, a
                                        grayness begins to hang over Denethor, as well as with the readers'
                                        knowledge of what will happen later on.

                                        > MeG17: Reasons by Saralitazie

                                        The scene described between Boromir and Faramir is sweet, if a bit
                                        lacking in suspense and new developments. What I like a lot about this
                                        story is the effortless, fluent way with words as in phrases like " a
                                        land remembered solely in stories" – the way old-fashioned phrases
                                        flow in without being obvious elements of style, the warm affection
                                        between the brothers and the eery moment when Boromir last looks back
                                        before departing.

                                        > MeG19: Singer by the shore by Beth Winter

                                        This story drew me right from the beginning with it's vivid
                                        description of the two brothers wandering through the night. The
                                        different creatures they imagine in the night – Faramir's elves and
                                        ancient warriors versus Boromir's orcs – are a wonderful way to show
                                        how different they think. All the events – Boromir falling, the
                                        appearance of the Singer, - are written wonderfully expressive and
                                        captivating. I love the characteristics of the brothers and their
                                        relation to each other: Boromir's consciousness of dignity and
                                        unthinking bravery, Faramir's self-assertiveness when it comes to his
                                        knowledge, and the light squabbling between them. Only flaw: the
                                        lyrics of the song loose something of the spell-binding quality of the
                                        rest of the story. Leaving the actual words unspoken and just
                                        describing the images the songs wake in the boys works far better for
                                        me – the last song is just perfect in creating a haunting, sad mood.

                                        > Me5: Kinsmen by Dwimordene

                                        I like the fact that the story included Aragorn's mother Gilraen and
                                        that the author did a very good job of giving an idea of what her life
                                        in Imladris might have been like. The story telling is good, too, but
                                        sadly the premise of Aragorn fathering a son with a woman he's not
                                        married to threw me off.

                                        > Me6: Night in Hollin by Nancy Brooke

                                        The story picks up a scene from the movie and does a great job
                                        building on it: first light and amusing, then with more serious tones
                                        as Aragorn is faced with the difficulties of having lived so many
                                        different lifes, never being quite what people see in him. All the
                                        characters are well done (Frodo's silence, Sam's language, the
                                        bantering of Merry & Pippin and so on), but what I really love is the
                                        way unexpected aspects of Boromir are shown while still keeping him in
                                        character. Apart from that, the way Merry and Pippin are inquisitive
                                        and unable to let a subject go, but without being insufferable, is
                                        charming. The dances are perfectly described and work great to show
                                        how different the members of the Fellowship are, while still having
                                        things in common. Even if I don't know whether the thought of Gimli
                                        dancing or of Aragorn dancing with Boromir is the scarier one.

                                        > Me8: The Sickle of the Valar by Altariel

                                        What a lovely way with words – the way Denethor's loneliness comes
                                        alive really makes me feel for him, no matter how much nastiness he
                                        might show later on in LotR. Somehow this story manages to pull out
                                        different moods and make the scenes come alive: the death of
                                        Finduilas, Denethor sleepless and watching the night, and the hushed
                                        conversation between Faramir and his grandfather. I love the details,
                                        like Denethor's first exasperated reaction to hearing Faramir and
                                        Adrahil, Adrahil's description of elves, and the way things remain
                                        unspoken between Faramir and Adrahil – which is a lot more realistic
                                        than an unlimited heart-to-heart. The end, too, is lovely, and very
                                        cleverly done: not describing Denethor's reaction builds a distance
                                        between him and the reader and stresses his loneliness. The play with
                                        the different meanings of the Sickle – as an instrument of death and
                                        sign of hope – is wonderful.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 31, 2004
                                          With just 5 minutes to go, there are still stories I would have liked to
                                          read. Alas, but I barely have time to copy these last few comments and hit
                                          Send.